Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, flock that!

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I like to flock in the morning. Get's me ready for the day..
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

So this 911 I got, I've come to some conclusions.

First, the flat 6 sucks ass.
        Why people revere these things I'll never know. The 2.7mfi I have shouldn't be worth nearly as much as it is.

Second, it really needs an ls.

Aside from the engine the driving characteristics are excellent. It's fun, I guess. Kind of a disappointment.
        Hank Ahrens
        1984 Alpine Coupe
        1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by 1craze30 View Post
          Great to meet up with Paolo this morning. Good talks man!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          Yup - nice to catch up man.
          clutchCTRL!
          Move with a purpose.
          - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
          - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
          - 2000 323i AT
          2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
            So this 911 I got, I've come to some conclusions.

First, the flat 6 sucks ass.
            Why people revere these things I'll never know. The 2.7mfi I have shouldn't be worth nearly as much as it is.

Second, it really needs an ls.

Aside from the engine the driving characteristics are excellent. It's fun, I guess. Kind of a disappointment.
            Are you sure you have a 2.7 MFI? Those came on the early-mid '70's Carreras. $100-800K cars.
            '91 325i

Comment

Okay, scrolled back a few pages to see your car. You mentioned '78? That's an SC, and they came with a 3.0 CSI engine. Is yours modified?

I thought my Carrera was nice, until I joined PCA to do trackdays. The instructor drove my car with me as a passenger. Scared the crap out of me. I had no idea my car could do all that. Track days escalated from there, and now I race a vintage Alfa (Porsches are too expensive).

You really need to dive in deep into Porsche ownership to really understand and appreciate what the car is. They are hand-made, robust, and amazing at the limits. An SC 3.0 will go 300K miles without needing to be cracked open. Flat engine and dry sump, so no oil pan, therefore lower center of gravity. Torsion bar suspension to keep CoG low as well. Forged Fuchs alloy wheels when everyone else was using steel or cast Al at best. Alloy lug nuts to further reduce rotational and unsprung mass. It goes on and on like that, in case you didn't already know.

OTOH, you're right. These things suck. You should sell it to me, and I'll pay you exactly what you paid. You'll lose nothing! :).
              '91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by Nader393 View Post
                Are you sure you have a 2.7 MFI? Those came on the early-mid '70's Carreras. $100-800K cars.
                Pretty sure, I could be completely wrong. What should I look for?

It's not the original motor, seller said it was a 2.7.

Still a 1978 911sc chassis
                Hank Ahrens
                1984 Alpine Coupe
                1978 911sc

Comment

Ohhh, man. Potential ugly can of worms, vs. jackpot that will pay for all of your higher education. You need less r3v, more Pelican. Go there humble. If you post there what you did here, you will be eaten alive.
                  '91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by Nader393 View Post
                    Ohhh, man. Potential ugly can of worms, vs. jackpot that will pay for all of your higher education. You need less r3v, more Pelican. Go there humble. If you post there what you did here, you will be eaten alive.
                    Ohhhh, trust me, its ugly ;) you should come over and check it out when you have time. I'm not too worried though, we can always part it for more than what we paid. I'm graduating debt free and I have a nice chunk in my savings too, working nearly full time through school paid off.

I <3 r3v
                    Hank Ahrens
                    1984 Alpine Coupe
                    1978 911sc

Comment

It is most definitely NOT mfi, it's a 77 2.7s engine (6370392)

Basically the whole car is a wet hot mess.

Probably the reason I dont have too fond of feelings for it
                      Hank Ahrens
                      1984 Alpine Coupe
                      1978 911sc

Comment

Ugh, those engines weren't Porsche's best effort. Weird putting that in an SC.

The good news is that you make any air-cooled 911 into an absolute weapon. Or just more fun. The cars are easy to work on and parts from later years swap in and out, but they're expensive.

There's a wealth of info out there by guys who've made the improvements to the 2.7. Look into it. OTOH, the "middies" are escalating in value, so there might be a chance you could sell the engine and reinstall the correct 3.0 without losing much in the process. Engine swaps in 911s are relatively easy.
                        '91 325i

Comment

PNW Chit Chat thread

Fork out like $3k and put some carbs on it. That might wake it up a little... also I’ve wanted a Porsche forever but between my E30 and my Datsun I’m kinda liking basic front engine, RWD inline motors haha
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yep. As far as I know, the big bumper ‘74, 5, 6 had the 2.7. It is NOT the badass Carrera 2.7 from the ‘73 - completely different motor. It had thermal reactor exhaust for emissions, so it had heat problems, and it had problems with head studs pulling out of the block. But...most all of these had those issues fixed long ago. As Nader says, it originally had the 3.0 SC motor, which was a good one. So someone blew it up and found a used 2.7 or some similar story.

Comment

^that's pretty much what I'm thinking as well. This car is not and will never be a show car, its driver quality.

The motor honestly seems pretty healthy, so as long as the compression numbers are all good I'm sure I can get a nice chunk of change for it. Even 77 2.7 core motors are going for a stupid amount now.

Really not too sure what I want to do with it. I really just want a reliable 911 that I can cruise in. Maybe the easiest way to get around that is just AAA lmao
                              Hank Ahrens
                              1984 Alpine Coupe
                              1978 911sc

Comment

Aircooled cars also respond really well to exhaust upgrades, so do that and even if it’s still not a monster it will sound really good and you can use both the carbs and exhaust when you build or source a 3L

It’s probably better that you have a slow one now because you can learn how to drive it without getting yourself into too much trouble
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X