WTB: m20 engine in decent working order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB: m20 engine in decent working order

Looking for someone's m20 take-out to replace the engine in my brother's car (1990 325iX coupe).

Anyone have anything taking up garage space that they want to get rid of? We're in the Seattle area.

I've got a spare out of an 88 iX but i'm holding on to that!

I could be wrong but i'm fairly certain there are some differences in Engine Blocks between the iX M20 and their RWD counterparts. Someone correct me if i'm wrong!

I just know when I was looking for a good spare for my forever car (91 iX) - it was very important to ME that it was from another iX. Just food for thought!

I have a 2.7i that's still in a car that I will be pulling out this summer...
    clutchCTRL!
    Move with a purpose.
    - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
    - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
    - 2000 323i AT
    2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

If there are block differences, that would be good to know. I thought the m20B25 block was the same, just a different pan because of the AWD.

If anyone knows of differences for sure, please let me know!

Sure you want to keep that spare?

Comment

I have one in the Bay Area. Bought car for engine but went s52. Can ship at you expense.

Comment

svn2002s - what's the mileage on the engine? still in the vehicle?

Comment

160k, I can check compression and post #s

Comment

Ix has the dipstick in a different location too in addition to the different oil pan/pickup/ etc.. Im pretty sure theres a few more differences.
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

2mAn - thanks. Swapping the pan would account for the different dipstick location? unless the tube goes through the block. I don't remember.

svn2002s - is the engine still in a vehicle, and if so is it driveable? or would the engine have to be shipped? Have a price in mind?
                I'll need to talk with my brother. I'm assuming it did not come out of an iX.

Comment

there is a 325ix build that had closely documented the difference. I'll try to find it
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Tube goes through the block. The provision is there on RWD blocks, but needs to be drilled out to accommodate. The oil pump, intermediate shaft, etc is all different. I'd just find an iX block. iX also uses bigger engine mount arm bolts IIRC.
                    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Thanks AWDBOB for the details. Big help. Don't need the extra hassle of drilling the block, etc.
                      svn2002s - any chance yours is from an iX?

Anyone else know of an available iX engine?

Comment

Mine is from 325i. Sorry

Comment

My brother decided he wants to get rid of the car rather than deal with the cost and hassle of an engine swap, so the car will go up for sale.

I will post an ad with pics, but in case anyone reading this is interested:

1990 325 iX Coupe
                          Charcoal Black
                          Grey Interior
                          183,000 miles
                          Manual transmission
                          Has a dented driver front fender, extra fender included (wrong color, though)

Any tips on pricing appreciated. And definitely let me know if you're interested.

Comment

Working...
                          X