No announcement yet.

Koni Strut Quality Issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No specific gland nut with the race inserts, but I will have to machine a spacer to make sure it compresses the shock gland to the shock body instead of just the shock body itself.
    Ian Simon

Comment

mine came with spacers, did yours not?
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'm about to pick up a set of mustang koni shocks. Tell me more about this break in period. I was not aware of such thing
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

the upper strut gland blew apart
          Ah, you found it- yes, I had the same thing happen when the adapter I made clamped
          onto the crimps that hold the top together, and loosened them.
          The whole top popped off.

Koni doesn't supply a gland nut, as near as I could find, and from talking with them 2-3
          years ago. It's a non- e30 tube.

As to the quality issue, yes, I have found in the last 5 years or so that I've been having
          more trouble with some Konis.

A cheap str.t on the 318 leaked all its oil within a year.

A race insert came apart. (not the one I broke)

Another one lost all its rebound damping.

Koni fixed all 4 (including my mistake) for the cost of shipping.

In the prior 10 years, I'd NEVER had one fail, and that includes used dampers from parts cars.

Just a survey of one, but it's what's happened to me.

And yes, bottoming a shock will kill it. In rebound, too, sometimes.

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            I'm about to pick up a set of mustang koni shocks. Tell me more about this break in period. I was not aware of such thing
            just run them on full soft for the first couple thousand miles.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by 8920vt View Post
              Lee, the head of Koni North America sale....
              I called Koni a while ago with a technical question and Lee actually took my call. Just goes to show the culture of a great customer service

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
              Bilstein on the other hand still has a lifetime warranty to the original owner.
              I've said this before but worth repeating....People who sell "NIB" dampers should expect to offer a pretty hefty discount for the absence of a warranty. No receipt with your name and PN...no warranty.
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

There is a specific gland nut listed for the koni race inserts (73.25.01.003.1 is M48x1.5), and it's not the E30 one. Not sure if the E30 one will do the trick or not, but I wasn't going to chance it.

Also worth mentioning, Koni Race don't come with any warranty.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Yeah, i thought there was.. I have them but its already been a few years.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                    There is a specific gland nut listed for the koni race inserts (73.25.01.003.1 is M48x1.5), and it's not the E30 one. Not sure if the E30 one will do the trick or not, but I wasn't going to chance it.

Also worth mentioning, Koni Race don't come with any warranty.
                    Do you know where to buy the gland nut separately?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

pretty sure blunt got it for me
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I ordered the gland nut from GC when orderering the coil over kit.
                        No problems so far with my koni race, installed them almost a year ago now on my ix.
                        E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                        E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Koni Race don't come with any warranty.
                          GC have warrantied 2 for me so far...

t
                          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                            GC have warrantied 2 for me so far...

t
                            What GC kit comes with Koni Race? I've never heard of a kit come with anything other than E30 front konis, or Corrado ones for shortened setups?

Either way, GC sold you a kit, they're probably going to give you a warranty on everything in it.

Unfortunately GC wouldn't let me buy a new set of shocks, even though I have a ton of their shit already, so I just bought them through amazon.
                            Originally posted by priapism
                            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                            Originally posted by shameson
                            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

GC sold me a pair of 8641-1547spgc Koni short inserts.

When they fail, I sent them to GC, who send them off to Koni (I presume in Kentucky)
                              who then decide if they're going to replace them.

I'm 2 for 2 on 'yes', and just sent in a third...

That's what's happened to me so far, starting in about 2012.

t

Comment

The GC/koni shocks are ground control specific valving. Theyre not race shocks and theyre technically not corrado pieces since they have been re valved per GC's specs.

I just machined my own spacer to insert in the e30 gland nut. Koni is rebuilding my shocks after my screw up.
                                Ian Simon

Comment

Working...
                                X