No announcement yet.

The Journey of Linda and Friends - the M20b31 Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the only thing you need to do on a M20b25 when thinking budget... oil pan baffle. Keep everything else stock and just send it. Even the airbox. Sell the original M20b25 to SPECE30 dudes....they'll snag it in a heartbeat.
    Paynemw
    1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
    the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
    1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Originally posted by paynemw View Post
      the only thing you need to do on a M20b25 when thinking budget... oil pan baffle. Keep everything else stock and just send it. Even the airbox. Sell the original M20b25 to SPECE30 dudes....they'll snag it in a heartbeat.
      Yes sir! This motor is in great shape, too- it's only got 140K on it. I'm also picking up the trans from Matt (from the same car). It was a DOT replacement with only ~80K on it and it's much more fresh than the early trans I got with my manual swap.

As I sell off my 24v stuff I'll pick up a couple things to increase the fun factor a bit, but that's it. I'll probably do long tubes, a 272 cam (already bought a 284/272 but it for certain causes PTV contact), a BBTB, a chip, a lightened flywheel, some sticky tires, and enjoy the hell out of it. Plan is to snag the IE baffle + windage tray as well to help keep oil in the pan for when feeling/getting "sendy", as my coastal friends would say.

I need to sell a few more parts, but this thing project should start rolling soon!
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
        As I sell off my 24v stuff I'll pick up a couple things to increase the fun factor a bit, but that's it. I'll probably do long tubes, a 272 cam (already bought a 284/272 but it for certain causes PTV contact), a BBTB, a chip, a lightened flywheel, some sticky tires, and enjoy the hell out of it. Plan is to snag the IE baffle + windage tray as well to help keep oil in the pan for when feeling/getting "sendy", as my coastal friends would say.
        That sounds like a good plan and should make for a really fun package. A lightly breathed on engine should be dead reliable and easy to live with for cruising around on drives, to events, etc.

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
          That sounds like a good plan and should make for a really fun package. A lightly breathed on engine should be dead reliable and easy to live with for cruising around on drives, to events, etc.
          MJ
          I agree 100%, and that is what I'm going for. I purchased a 284/272 Schrick, but after much research found that I can't run it with stock pistons due to PTV issues. The effort it takes to deepen the reliefs properly isn't something I'm interested in doing, so I'm now on the hunt for a Schrick 272. I don't trust the regrinds, and the 'billet' ones are unproven, no cam cards, etc.

Comment

Are you driving any of the E30s you own right now?
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              Are you driving any of the E30s you own right now?
              2mAn, I am the worst car guy.

I have 7 E30s currently and am driving 0 of them. However, 4 of them are "technically" parts cars (the 3 iXs and an e), leaving the M3, my iS, and my '88 lach iX as my nice ones. M3 needs a HG still, iS I changed plans 300 times, and the iX is "good to go", needing a few minor things before I list it up for sale.

I have had twelve E30s total now and have "driven" one (yes, that's ONE), which was a rough, rusty Zinno iX (my first E30) for maybe 5K miles. I have also technically put a few hundred miles on my Lach iX back in PA.

Four years, 1600 posts, thousands of dollars, and no driving (the whole point of a fun project car, right?).

I built an Evo into a 500whp track monster and sold it after driving it 1000 miles.

I built two foxbodys (one supercharged weekend cruiser and one autoX N/A car) and sold both after driving less than 1000 miles.

I had a 500whp '03 Cobra that I sold before I put 1000 miles on it.

Donno why, it just happens that way. Someday I'll finish something and road trip it like I've always wanted to do.

Comment

I have 7 E30s currently and am driving 0 of them. However, 4 of them are "technically" parts cars (the 3 iXs and an e), leaving the M3, my iS, and my '88 lach iX as my nice ones. M3 needs a HG still, iS I changed plans 300 times, and the iX is "good to go", needing a few minor things before I list it up for sale.

I have had twelve E30s total now and have "driven" one (yes, that's ONE), which was a rough, rusty Zinno iX (my first E30) for maybe 5K miles. I have also technically put a few hundred miles on my Lach iX back in PA.

Four years, 1600 posts, thousands of dollars, and no driving (the whole point of a fun project car, right?).

I built an Evo into a 500whp track monster and sold it after driving it 1000 miles.

I built two foxbodys (one supercharged weekend cruiser and one autoX N/A car) and sold both after driving less than 1000 miles.

Donno why, it just happens that way. Someday I'll finish something and road trip it like I've always wanted to do.

All real car guys have stories like this and then one day it magically happens. You are on the right path. My E36 M3 sat for years in pieces and my E46 touring had a sad life outside in the weather - being driven some but otherwise needing lots of love - before things worked out and now they are in a state where all is good....hop in and go wherever. Not my E30 of course as it is currently nothing more than a static display of grief but we won't go there.

Our warm climate friends also don't understand that insidious ionic compound NaCl that tends to be all over the roads around here this time of year eating cars from below. Unfortunately my fun cars are stuck in the garage for a while.

MJ

Comment

Sounds like a familiar story
                  '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

AWDBOB, you make me feel better about all my terrible, rusted, non-running, stalled project cars.

PS, maybe get screened for ADD.

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                      All real car guys have stories like this and then one day it magically happens. You are on the right path. My E36 M3 sat for years in pieces and my E46 touring had a sad life outside in the weather - being driven some but otherwise needing lots of love - before things worked out and now they are in a state where all is good....hop in and go wherever. Not my E30 of course as it is currently nothing more than a static display of grief but we won't go there.
                      Our warm climate friends also don't understand that insidious ionic compound NaCl that tends to be all over the roads around here this time of year eating cars from below. Unfortunately my fun cars are stuck in the garage for a while.
                      MJ
                      Absolutely- I think it is all a part of the process. I am excited to get something done enough to enjoy it and not go overboard to where I can't. Imperfect paint, minimal (relative) investment, ready for whatever. I must say, I am quite excited to see your static display of grief do burnouts and attend track days!

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                      Sounds like a familiar story
                      It's a curse man. Build exactly how you want it -----> sell -------> repeat

Your collection seems to be greater in both caliber and number, so I can only imagine how you feel!

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                      AWDBOB, you make me feel better about all my terrible, rusted, non-running, stalled project cars.

PS, maybe get screened for ADD.
                      There are so many different facets to how we enjoy cars, and I've always enjoyed learning a platform and maximizing potential for a chosen setup. Once I get to that point I'm usually too stressed to drive them so I sell them while they're still minty.

The big change now is, I'm in a different part of the country now without a group of car buddies to wrench with or a buddy building a similar car to bounce ideas off of down the road, so without that motive behind what I want the car to be, I wake up every day and research a different setup that I think would be fun to build (and then realize I can't afford it). I keep coming back to a 302 since I like rustangs, but I don't need to give that idea any more thought than I already have or else your poor souls will have to read two years worth of me collecting SBF parts ending in a part out thread and no burnouts. (edit, that already happened but didn't make it but a few weeks https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=316923)

I certainly have ADD, I just don't like the drugs so I'll probably build and sell 'till the day I die :p

Comment

Absolutely- I think it is all a part of the process. I am excited to get something done enough to enjoy it and not go overboard to where I can't. Imperfect paint, minimal (relative) investment, ready for whatever. I must say, I am quite excited to see your static display of grief do burnouts and attend track days!

It's a curse man. Build exactly how you want it -----> sell -------> repeat

Your collection seems to be greater in both caliber and number, so I can only imagine how you feel!

There are so many different facets to how we enjoy cars, and I've always enjoyed learning a platform and maximizing potential for a chosen setup. Once I get to that point I'm usually too stressed to drive them so I sell them while they're still minty.

The big change now is, I'm in a different part of the country now without a group of car buddies to wrench with or a buddy building a similar car to bounce ideas off of down the road, so without that motive behind what I want the car to be, I wake up every day and research a different setup that I think would be fun to build (and then realize I can't afford it). I keep coming back to a 302 since I like rustangs, but I don't need to give that idea any more thought than I already have or else your poor souls will have to read two years worth of me collecting SBF parts ending in a part out thread and no burnouts. (edit, that already happened but didn't make it but a few weeks https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=316923)

I certainly have ADD, I just don't like the drugs so I'll probably build and sell 'till the day I die :p
                        I am doing everything I can to stop myself from buying another project before I finish this car. I really want a track car, or an E9. My E30 project became a lot larger then I thought as well, it was going to be a simple S52 swap, clean it up etc and now its way more then I expected.

Good luck!!
                        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                          I am doing everything I can to stop myself from buying another project before I finish this car. I really want a track car, or an E9. My E30 project became a lot larger then I thought as well, it was going to be a simple S52 swap, clean it up etc and now its way more then I expected.

Good luck!!
                          Thanks man! I 100% know that feeling, on both fronts. Every project turns into an extreme build (re-read the original post of this thread for example haha). It's just as easy to let a project go overboard as it is to transfer attention to a different project when a current project gets stale (until project #2 goes overboard as well).

I'm so excited to finally drive this car that my motivation is on full blast, ready to finish this engine/trans swap. I'm just waiting on the 1000 things I have for sale to sell so I can buy the rest of the parts I need.

IE Longtubes
                          eBay catback
                          Custom Midsection
                          HG Kit
                          Head Bolts
                          Oil Pan Baffle
                          Windage Tray - purchased
                          M50 Injectors
                          HD Rubber Mounts (engine/trans) - purchased
                          IE Front 20mm Swaybar Spacer
                          Spal Pusher Fan
                          Regular Sized DSSR - purchased
                          Febi Rockers
                          Billet 272 (Bimmerheads) - purchased
                          RHD 7lb Flywheel
                          Riot Racing BBTB

I also need warmth to paint the bay.

Comment

Not too bad for backyard bob in an afternoon with some paintscratch love. I'm going to do this again at a later date, but this is exactly what I need for the time being.

Comment

Not too bad for backyard bob in an afternoon with some paintscratch love. I'm going to do this again at a later date, but this is exactly what I need for the time being.

Looking good!
                              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Looks great man! Stoked you're moving forward on this!!
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X