M20 & Getrag 240

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 & Getrag 240

Alright no where online can I see a decisive verdict on this so here it is. Will a getrag 240 from an e30 318i work with an m20b25 motor? I know theres a tilt angle of 10 degrees but is there anything else that would cause it to not work? Thankyou

i'm sure one can make it work with offset engine mounts and custom driveshaft. The question is what is wrong with 260 as designed?

Comment

th length may be different so the driveshaft may not fit correctly, i'm not sre but the m20 clutch and flywheel fit no problem in a g240
      318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
      '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Alright because I now have an M20 with the getrag 240 and it wont start haha. I have a custom crossmember, shortened custom driveshaft, and im using the m20 clutch and flywheel along with an m20 starter. When I turn the key though all I hear is the starter banging on the flywheel. Any ideas?

Comment

Does it turn over by hand? ie is the engine seized?

Comment

Are you using the sheet metal shield between the block and the bell housing? Which one? It locates the starter more precisely than just the attachment bolts do.

Comment

Engine turns over just fine by hand and I am using an m20 dust shield between the engine and trans.

Comment

If engine spins and just doesn't start, transmission isn't you problem ...obviously. Hard to say what is the exact issue. Who knows what you did there.
                Starter checks out ok? All wiring/sensors are ok? spark? fuel? air?

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
                  If engine spins and just doesn't start, transmission isn't you problem ...obviously. Hard to say what is the exact issue. Who knows what you did there.
                  Starter checks out ok? All wiring/sensors are ok? spark? fuel? air?
                  Well the engine spins free when I have the radiator and other stuff out so I can actually reach the harmonic balancer bolt, cant start it without half the stuff hooked up or without decent access though. The only problem atm is the starter grinding on the flywheel. I have the RHD lightweight flywheel but not sure thats the problem or the starter, or that 10 degree angle shift.

Comment

I have had that problem using the m20 trans. pull the starter and check the distances of everything and maybe wiggle the starter over or whatever little bit it lets move.

you might end up needing another shim or even a different starter.

Comment

Is the starter just popping out, or is it actually turning and grinding?
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

a few possible problems:

1. starter is bad
                        2. starter from e36 or something, need m20 starter.
                        3. did you remount all locating dowels into your transmission/block?
                        4. did you install flywheel spacer correctly (between flywheel and bolts, not between crank and flywheel)

the reason I highlighted #3: common problem when people swap transmissions, do not transfer old dowels to new tranny and as a result, grinding starter

Comment

...but, no, an M10 trans does NOT bolt to an M20.

t
                          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I think his is bolted up.

Comment

If it was an M10 trans, he didn't get more than 2 bolts into an M20 block, then!

The pattern is different.

t
                              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                              X