M50/52 Vs. M54 swap, Opinions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50/52 Vs. M54 swap, Opinions...

So I am going to swap one of these days. Now that I almost have everything I need to finish the suspension, I am starting to research the swap like a motherfucker. I was thinking M30 originally, but the more I look at it, the more I am thinking 24 valve is the way to go really. I am looking at both the 52 and 54 swaps, and I'm kinda torn on which one to shoot for. I'm thinking that the 54 motors will get me closer to my power expectations (250hp and 250ft/lbs) but more expensive, and harder to get. On the other hand the 50/52 could potentially get me there with some bolt ons, some internal work, and a tune.

So, I guess I'm really just looking for opinions, what people think of each motor, each swap, Pros, cons, Etc. I am still probably a year or two off before I can afford to do a swap, so it isn't going to happen any time soon, but like I said, I can research like a mo-fo until then.

Of course the wild card is what my buddy is pushing me to do......2JZGTE.....
    Dumpster Fire Pilot

I think m52 is the best way to if you want a bmw 24v. The m54 has a bunch of issues in my experience. The power is great but I wouldn't like dealing with everything else. M52 with some m3 cams would be great. Also the 2jz cool. Not as many ppl go that way and it's always cool to see it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by timmyr77 View Post
      I think m52 is the best way to if you want a bmw 24v. The m54 has a bunch of issues in my experience. The power is great but I wouldn't like dealing with everything else. M52 with some m3 cams would be great. Also the 2jz cool. Not as many ppl go that way and it's always cool to see it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Having owned/ridden many times in cars with m50, m52, s50, s52 etc...Along with doing most of the upgrades I will mention below...My opinion is that from a price viewpoint the M52 is the way to go. Like Timmy mentioned, with bolt-ons and s52 cams ~200whp+ is definitely achievable, which if calc'd at the crank is pretty close to your goal. M52's can be had for ~$800-1200 these days, sometimes including the tranny if your lucky.

S50/52 in stock form will put down 205-210whp...with some light bolt-ons and a chip you'll hit your target at the crank. Sport schrick or sunbelt cams and tuning the intake and exhaust system along with a retune will get you 250-270whp. 270whp will be about the limit of a streetable s50/52, beyond that and your investing in race cams, upgraded valve train, upgraded ATI damper, potentially forged pistons, s54 oil pump etc...at which point your back in the stock s54 price range.

S54 is going to be $$$, but opens the door to 270-320whp depending on bolt-ons and tuning. The closer you get to 330whp the more and more $$$ you will be spending. 330whp = cams, tune, headers etc...

To be honest anything above 300whp on a bmw I6 and you should be considering FI.

I would narrow my search for a m52, s50, or s52. Sometimes you can get pretty good deals on S50/52's when combined with the tranny etc...I picked up a s52 with 100k on it for $1200 that had all the accessories less the intake manifold and cams a couple years ago.
      Last edited by thedean; 12-31-2014, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I have been on the fence for a long time, the more I look at it, the more I talk with people here, and the more I talk to others outside the forum, the more I think the M52 is the way to go. I guess I should start the search sometime.....
        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

If you make it up to Seattle you can take my M54 for a drive.

Comment

Originally posted by timmyr77 View Post
            The m54 has a bunch of issues in my experience. The power is great but I wouldn't like dealing with everything else.
            What issues are those exactly? The CCV? It's the smoothest most advanced engine of the M50 line. It has the most usable power in the low range due to double vanos and some serious grunt no doubt partly due to the S52 crankshaft. Plus it's much easier to find one with low miles... The seals and everything should also be in much better shape on a 9 year old M54 vs. a 24 year old M50. So probably not the best idea to get a really old engine unless you plan on doing a full rebuild, unless you don't mind oil squirting out from all directions. :)

Whichever M50 series engine you pick definitely get one with an aluminum block for weight reduction. :)
            Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
              Whichever M50 series engine you pick definitely get one with an aluminum block for weight reduction. :)
              Unless your going bewst :)

Comment

Built M20B25 with boost. ;)

Comment

Coming from an m30 swap I would recommend the m54, torque FTW.

Comment

I say stick with your current engine and boost it. If anything avoid the 2JZ, that heavy lump will ruin your weight distribution. Unless you don't care about handling of course.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 3-17

Comment

N52. ;)

stock with the 3-stage intake puts down ~220whp. headers/tune is getting close to 250whp.

200whp full bolt on M52? bleh..
                      Last edited by nando; 01-05-2015, 06:34 AM.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
                        What issues are those exactly? The CCV? It's the smoothest most advanced engine of the M50 line. It has the most usable power in the low range due to double vanos and some serious grunt no doubt partly due to the S52 crankshaft. Plus it's much easier to find one with low miles... The seals and everything should also be in much better shape on a 9 year old M54 vs. a 24 year old M50. So probably not the best idea to get a really old engine unless you plan on doing a full rebuild, unless you don't mind oil squirting out from all directions. :)

ive seen quite of few of them over heat (e39 cooling system issues of course).I know a mechanic who i go to for advice a lot and he has two M54 in his shop right now that had the head bolts thread warped out from being over heated and he says its a very common issue. As far as power i think i mentioned that it is really smooth and the power curve is great. if you over look cost, and issues then yes m54 is great. no denying that.

Comment

they get overheated because the cooling system doesn't get maintained.

kinda like people still neglect to change their M20 timing belts and then wonder why their engine explodes at 65,000 miles.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            they get overheated because the cooling system doesn't get maintained.

kinda like people still neglect to change their M20 timing belts and then wonder why their engine explodes at 65,000 miles.
                            Agreed. Overheating is not a problem unique to the M54.

Basically I guess the best advice I can give is to just find the best condition engine with the lowest miles as you can that will provide you enough power for your needs and that will also not exceed your budget. Check out car-part.com and see what you can find. Last year we found a M52TU for our E46 328i with only 17k miles on it.
                            Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              N52. ;)

stock with the 3-stage intake puts down ~220whp. headers/tune is getting close to 250whp.

200whp full bolt on M52? bleh..
                              I'll have to look into the N52 some more, sounds like it is a potent engine. Also have to weigh the output/$, as well as ease of swap. I'm not familiar with the N52 or how much wiring is involved. I'm assuming you've already researched this and it's more than feasible.

Comment

Working...
                              X