M42 Turbo - Scandinavian style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Turbo - Scandinavian style

Hello from Norway. Here I will keep some kind of log/build thread of my forced induction project. M42 turbo!

I chose the M42 because of the weight, weightdistribution and the potential.

The goal is around 400-450whp.

The parts I am going to use is:

- Stock M42 block with o-rings in the block. M50 crankbearings, and new bearings/gaskets on the whole engine.
    - M42 head with grinded valves, ported intake/exhaust canals, with reinforced M50 valve-springs, stock headgasket, VAG lifters and custom camshafts by KMcams. I am thinking about a revlimit on 7500rpm.
    - Lathed pistons down to 7.3:1 compression
    - M20 flywheel, with 618-pressureplate and Sachs raceplate, springless.
    - VEMS standalone ECU with Electromotive singlecoils.
    - Garrett T3/T4e, 50trim turbo
    - E36 325i aluminum radiator

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Pictures will come soon.

The engine has been disassembled and the block has been painted. After it has been o-ringed I am going to hone it.

At the moment I am calculating how much the pistons has to be lathed to lower the compession down to 7.3:1. The engine has to handle around 36-38psi of boost.

You guys can ask me questions in this thread if you want, and I'll try to answer as best as I can.
    Last edited by 23732; 11-16-2015, 06:46 AM.

awesome build!
    why not directly build a 2.0-2.1L stroker with a m47 crankshaft and m50/s50 pistons?

it´s definately a huge project, 2.5 bar / 37psi is a lot of boost :)
    goodluck!

Comment

I've thought about it, but since I use so low compression I think it will be hard to find pistons that can handle to lathed that much. By increasing the stroke that much, you'll also increase the compression and therefore the pistons needs to lathed even more. Also, I want this to be kind of a budget build. I can always source another M42 and build it to a 2l. My brother have two or three M42s laying around. If my setup doesnt work well or the poweroutput is good enough, I will try a 2l instead.
      Last edited by 23732; 11-16-2015, 07:04 AM.

Comment

If you're going to go through the work I would suggest buying 85mm CP pistons that are 8.5:1 compression ratio. you'll need to bore and hone the block, but then you could add a MLS head gasket or o-ring the block still. It would probably hold up to your goals.

Curious to see how this all works out though. You're talking a lot of boost too, what are your plan for an intake manifold?
        -Dee
        5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
        IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Originally posted by 23732 View Post
          I've thought about it, but since I use so low compression I think it will be hard to find pistons that can handle to lathed that much. By increasing the stroke that much, you'll also increase the compression and therefore the pistons needs to lathed even more. Also, I want this to be kind of a budget build. I can always source another M42 and build it to a 2l. My brother have two or three M42s laying around. If my setup doesnt work well or the poweroutput is good enough, I will try a 2l instead.
          should be managable when u use 135mm conrods instead of 140mm ones?

but it´s like you say indeed, the cost will go up significantly.

why do you want to use m50 bearings?

Comment

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
            If you're going to go through the work I would suggest buying 85mm CP pistons that are 8.5:1 compression ratio. you'll need to bore and hone the block, but then you could add a MLS head gasket or o-ring the block still. It would probably hold up to your goals.

Curious to see how this all works out though. You're talking a lot of boost too, what are your plan for an intake manifold?
            I don't want to bore the block, as the walls are so thin from the factory. If the build doesnt hold up, I can always just another one together.

As for the intake manifold, I am using the stock E30 M42 intake. It should hold together nicely. The stock M40 manifold can handle 2.5bars of boost, so it shouldnt be problem on M42.

Originally posted by MVincken View Post
            should be managable when u use 135mm conrods instead of 140mm ones?

but it´s like you say indeed, the cost will go up significantly.

why do you want to use m50 bearings?
            I use M50 crankbearings because they a 360degree oiltrack instead 200degree which the M42 have stock.

Comment

M42 aftermarket bearings are 360 degree thrust anyway
              (so I'm told, by someone who has built a lot of them)

-edit-
              You will also see a big difference with a good forward facing manifold and plenum
              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

I use M50 crankbearings because they a 360degree oiltrack instead 200degree which the M42 have stock.
                I don´t really see that as a plus.
                2 jears ago i worked on calibration of Alfa Romeo engines and they all broke down because of these bearings
                (i work at FEV GmbH, a big engine building/calibration company)

replacing your bottom bearing scale with one with a oil groove, also decreases (by +-20%!) the gliding surface of your bearing.
                this increases the average surface pressure on your bearing what leads to bearing wear (due to a thinner oil film between bearing and crankshaft)

and because the load is the biggest on the bottom bearing, it´s best to not have a oil groove here.

Comment

Interested to see this. I'm trying for ~300whp on a stock bottom end, don't know if it will end well. Why will you be machining pistons instead of just getting good custom pistons and doing a stroker build? 500bhp is no joke from a little 1.8!

As for the intake manifold, I am using the stock E30 M42 intake. It should hold together nicely. The stock M40 manifold can handle 2.5bars of boost, so it shouldnt be problem on M42.
                  I have been told, by people who have made much more power than I do, that the stock M42 intake is a restriction above 300hp or so.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 1-26

Comment

2 jears ago i worked on calibration of Alfa Romeo engines and they all broke down because of these bearings

replacing your bottom bearing scale with one with a oil groove, also decreases (by +-20%!) the gliding surface of your bearing.
                    this increases the average surface pressure on your bearing what leads to bearing wear (due to a thinner oil film between bearing and crankshaft)

and because the load is the biggest on the bottom bearing, it´s best to not have a oil groove here.
                    I kind of see that. But because this engine is probably going to last one summer and one winter I am not too worried about that. Also, Metric Mechanic recommends bearings with 360degree oilgroove.

Originally posted by varg View Post
                    Interested to see this. I'm trying for ~300whp on a stock bottom end, don't know if it will end well. Why will you be machining pistons instead of just getting good custom pistons and doing a stroker build? 500bhp is no joke from a little 1.8!

I have been told, by people who have made much more power than I do, that the stock M42 intake is a restriction above 300hp or so.
                    Because this is kind of a budget build to see how much we can do on stock internals. With the Norwegian Krone going south, a set of custom pistons will be crazy expensive. And to build a proper 2l, you have to bore the block and as the walls are thin enough as they are, I am not compromising the strength of the block to do that.

As for the intake. The M40 has somewhat of a similar intake design as the M42. My brother dynoed his M40 to 313whp, so it shouldn't be a problem. If so, I'll buy one and get the car tuned for it :D

UPDATE on the thread:

M54 pistons and turbo is ordered. As the original post states, I bought a Garret T3/T4e, with 0.78A/R and twin-scroll exhaust housing and 4" antisurge compressorhousing. Also, some pictures of the block, the car it is going into, the head (all intake valves are grinded, only exhaust left), new sparkplugs and the headparts with new lifters on the top and old lifter at the bottom.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Interested in seeing the m50 valve springs and VAG lifters for more r3vs! Might be interested in doing that myself in the future.
                      -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                      08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                      318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                      '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                      Originally posted by roguetoaster
                      Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

The plus side is you can rev the piss out of it without it eating the crank
                        sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

maybe it gets a little faster revving, but less eating out the crank? i don´t know for sure.
                          But no worries, like OP says: it doesn´t have to last long, and MM probably uses them for a reason indeed.

Comment

maybe it gets a little faster revving, but less eating out the crank? i don´t know for sure.
                            But no worries, like OP says: it doesn´t have to last long, and MM probably uses them for a reason indeed.
                            I would like it to last as long as possible, but with so much boost, it probably won't. On the plus side, my brothers M40 turbo lasted two summer and one winter season. 298whp on roadtune and 313whp finetune on a dyno, so the M42 probably will also.

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
                            Interested in seeing the m50 valve springs and VAG lifters for more r3vs! Might be interested in doing that myself in the future.
                            As the M42 is basicly an M50 with two cylinders less, it should work just fine. I am buying a set of little stiffer, double springs from M50.

Comment

I would like it to last as long as possible, but with so much boost, it probably won't. On the plus side, my brothers M40 turbo lasted two summer and one winter season. 298whp on roadtune and 313whp finetune on a dyno, so the M42 probably will also.
                              definately, the m42 is a way better engine than the m40.

how did the m40 of your brother died?

Comment

Working...
                              X