• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 M50 swap shifter carrier offset issue

Hi

Need some help/advice

1988 SETA 325

Im almost done with my M50 swap however the shifter carrier sits way off to the passenger side barely being able to shift to 5th, there was never a mention of this being a big deal..

I have done
    Garagistic delrins on the front of the shifter bracket
    Garagistic 24v 10% offset DSSR installed
    tranny mounted with only the 4 big bolts, starter installed

I cant shift the motor/tranny enough for the carrier to be workable

also cannot fully hook up the back of the carrier to the car/bracket in the rear since its offset

I did add around 10mm of spacer on the passenger side motor mount ( green M5? motor mounts) with no change, but now the lower exhaust fits :)

what am i doing wrong here?

thanks for any comment/help
    Last edited by e30strokr; 07-19-2021, 09:18 AM.

The engine is tilted differently compared to the M20.
    It's a known fact.

You may look at changing the transmission too.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
      The engine is tilted differently compared to the M20.
      It's a known fact.

You may look at changing the transmission too.
      yes it is a known fact the tilt is different hence the mention of the offset DSSR, and I was expecting some offset but not this bad to not be brought up in the 100's DIY M50 swaps I looked thru before starting this swap

many use the G260 without a shifting issue...

Comment

When they use the Getrag 260, they cut and weld the shifter carrier.

Check topics similar to this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
          When they use the Getrag 260, they cut and weld the shifter carrier.

Check topics similar to this one.
          apparently but never mention.. now i see this.. its going to be a pain to remove the carrier since adding the delrin it was hard to put back on and that was with the tranny out... well see,

thanks for the link

Comment

Originally posted by e30strokr View Post

apparently but never mention.. now i see this.. its going to be a pain to remove the carrier since adding the delrin it was hard to put back on and that was with the tranny out... well see,

thanks for the link

That simple hack won't work well as bolted connections will flex.

There are companies that can weld aluminum things.

Comment

Unfortunately many of these little details are not mentioned in swap threads. Even with the ZF320 the typically mentioned shift carrier options don't really center the shifter and create 5th gear issues (not to mention it looks funny).

I had to get my hands on a used shift carrier to cut up and use that material for an offset.

Pics in this post:

Comment

make sure the shifting arm you are using, is from an '87+ 325i, and not an ETA unit. they are different. 325i is offset to the RH side of the car, ETA unit is straight.
                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                  Unfortunately many of these little details are not mentioned in swap threads. Even with the ZF320 the typically mentioned shift carrier options don't really center the shifter and create 5th gear issues (not to mention it looks funny).

I had to get my hands on a used shift carrier to cut up and use that material for an offset.

Pics in this post:

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...60#post9937460

kinda glad im not the only one to say it but , the motor and tranny is in!! more delays and summer is almost over..lol

thanks for the link to the built thread, love seeing others do a better tidy job..lol

Comment

Working...
                  X