S52 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S52 question

So I was told my car was swapped with a 99 S52 with OBD1 intake, but still OBD2. I know the intake is OBD1 style. My question. How to tell if it is actually running OBD1 or 2?
    Last edited by blown9746; 09-15-2022, 06:53 PM.

What ECU is it running on?
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Easy tell is where the crank sensor is. If it's on the timing cover, it's OBD1, if it's on the back of the block, down by the starter, it's OBD2.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Or OBDII had a hole in the block by the starter for the crank sensor. M52/S52

I have an OBDI block running OBDII with the Euro crank sensor.

Head gasket should say 3.2 on it by the T chain tensioner.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Thanks. I checked the DME VIN and it is from the 99 M3. Now to find if / where they put a diagnostic port

Comment

Originally posted by blown9746 View Post
            Thanks. I checked the DME VIN and it is from the 99 M3. Now to find if / where they put a diagnostic port
            you may not have an OBD2 port, but an OBD1 to OBD2 adapter works

Comment

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post

you may not have an OBD2 port, but an OBD1 to OBD2 adapter works
              You mean the round diag port? You can actually just jump a couple wires and skip the adapter.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

You mean the round diag port? You can actually just jump a couple wires and skip the adapter.
                Can you elaborate? I have always used an adapter since my scanner has OBD2 plug, so I have an adapter to plug into the round OBD1 port to read my codes. Curious what you're doing

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

Can you elaborate? I have always used an adapter since my scanner has OBD2 plug, so I have an adapter to plug into the round OBD1 port to read my codes. Curious what you're doing

Comment

The scanners only need to see power, ground and k(l)-lines. Those adapters just jump those corresponding wires.

Basically, I have a home made version of this: https://www.teewigo.com/ping-obd2-di...18-obd-break33

This not only allows me to scan swapped cars that never had an OBD port installed, I can bench flash ECU's as well.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

ok gotcha. For $11 to get the round plug adapter, I will just keep going that route

Comment

Working...
                      X