Engine goes "wwwhuuuummmmmb"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine goes "wwwhuuuummmmmb"

Hey I'm back again, because, why not right?

Basic details.
    Z3 M52B28 rebuilt into a 3.0L using an M54 rotating assembly.
    S50 cams. Stock ECU, OBD2.
    Pretty stock otherwise.
    Has about 11,000 miles since the rebuild.

I've never fully had peace of mind with this motor. There's always been cooling concerns, and ticks and noises. The power has been good, and the only engine code I have currently is for an emissions system part I haven't installed yet.

The main problem:
    At idle, the engine moans like the soundtrack of Interstellar, when it does that low-frequency "woom" like you hear in every movie trailer now. It lasts for at least a second, and repeats maybe every 2 seconds. Raising the RPM only affects it a little. It sounds like it's coming from the center of the engine, on the intake side. It kind of goes away when the engine warms up, but I can still barely hear it after a while.

A video of the sound

A second, nearly identical video of the sound

The low-bass sound I'm trying to describe isn't captured well in the video. Instead, you hear a lot more of the ticking. That's another annoyance. But you should still hear that "trombone" sound.

My guess so far is a vacuum leak. Here's some clues.
    I can hear a suction sound from inside the car. Like the induction sound, but a bit like a hiss. For some reason I can't hear it when I'm outside looking directly at the engine and revving it. It might be getting drowned out by the ticking.
    When I've driven home at night, I have to climb a moderate grade up a freeway. It's a few minutes long, and my engine temp always rises.... an unusual amount. Depending on my speed/load, it will jump at least 10°F. So say it's 195° at the bottom of the hill, it easily hits 205-210° at the top. And then it kinda levels back down to 200 when the road levels. My freeway exit is shortly after the climb. There, at the red light, my engine does 2 things:
    The engine shudders, sending vibrations throughout the whole car.
    Sometimes, the idle drops to cause the Low Oil Pressure light to come on, and stay on for as long as I'm at the light. If I give it a little rev, the light goes away. Yes, I have enough oil.
    When I'm driving again, it might happen one more time at the next light, but my the time I'm home, the engine has "cooled" to the point where the engine doesn't shudder at idle anymore. This specific issue has been going on for a very long time, probably since the rebuild.

I've also suspected there's an air leak because of the cooling issues I've always been having; maybe it's been running lean causing the extra heat. I will find out soon.

I haven't noticed a drop in power, nor have I noticed any other specific issues. That "trombone" sound is about a few days old at this point, so that's my biggest worry.

I've bought an at-home smoke machine tester, which will arrive soon. I can't wait to use it and find no problem and still be confused.
    I don't understand how vacuum leak could cause that sound, and why it doesn't really change with RPM.
    It's too slow and drawn out to be a mechanical issue, so what else could it be?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Chilezen; 11-30-2022, 12:04 AM.

Currently building a badass coffee table
    Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Does it go away with oil cap off? Running S52 Separator?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
      Does it go away with oil cap off? Running S52 Separator?
      It seriously complains when I take the cap off.

Video
      In the video, when I take the cap off, there's a horrible noise, like a failed seal is just gasping for fresh air. There's a light bit of suction I can feel if I put my hand over the opening. But mainly the noise and the drop in RPM is most noticeable.

I assume it's the stock separator, I don't know if it's M or S specific.
      I did replace it during the rebuild though...
      Last edited by Chilezen; 11-30-2022, 12:10 AM.

Comment

M50 intake swap time with good catch can. Provent 100 Mann humel.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Can we come up with another solution to keep the system stock and emissions compliant? I'm aiming for California legality here soon.

Edit: I'll add that when I floor it, in 4th and 5th gear, for an extended period of time (say from 60 to 90mph), I can smell oil. Also, I think the car burns oil because I have to refill it once in a while but there's no substantial leak.
          Last edited by Chilezen; 11-30-2022, 12:06 AM.

Comment

M50 intake swap time with good catch can. Provent 100 Mann humel.
            i second this
            there's a youtube vid where a driver discovers almost the same issue on a modded car and the catch can was the answer. it had also started to show oil use on the dyno when they let off the power runs.

Comment

Brake booster? Try disconnecting it? But I would imagine you could feel that in the booster.

Comment

Originally posted by jbontke View Post
                Brake booster? Try disconnecting it? But I would imagine you could feel that in the booster.
                Could it be possible for the booster diaphragm to have a small tear, allowing a vacuum leak?
                I can imagine the diaphragm being pulled by vacuum until the tear opens and the 'fart sound is made'. Then it 'resets' until pulled far enough again. Or maybe it doesn't work like that....????

When the rpms are higher, the tear is 'held open' and makes the hissing sound that was described. The sound can't be heard on the outside while revving the engine, because it's at the brake pedal.

Just thinking out loud.

Comment

There is a diaphragm in the crank case separator, much more common for them to fail in m54s and suck oil into the intake hydro locking the engine. If you want to keep OBDII intake just replace all those CCV bits, Including the seal at the bottom of the intake, anything rubber, anything oil touches.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

There is a diaphragm in the crank case separator, much more common for them to fail in m54s and suck oil into the intake hydro locking the engine. If you want to keep OBDII intake just replace all those CCV bits, Including the seal at the bottom of the intake, anything rubber, anything oil touches.
                    Thank you! See this makes the most sense to me, a bad diaphragm would make that kind of noise. Is there any specific way to confirm this is the culprit, before I order a new one?

Comment

Pull the oil cap. :)

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Well, that's how we got this far. A new one is on the way!

Comment

As mentioned, I’d replace all the hoses and gaskets around the separator too, and into the lower cap plate if they are all old and original.

Let us know what the smoke machine finds.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Those a re some rhythmic farts.

Unplug and cap off everything, start the car and plug each back in until the noise is present.

Separators are a maintenance item, they clog and/or leak. The URO brand doesn't last.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Update: Replaced the CCV. Solved the problem! No more rhythmic farts.
                              It was a Rein brand btw. I replaced it with the same.

I also found an air leak with the smoke tester. Replaced a cracked hose that goes from the intake boot to the idle control valve.

That should wrap up this set of problems. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X