Interest in s54/s62/etc. plug-n-play?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • e30polak
    replied
    Originally posted by rThor432
    ^^How exactly is the S62 leaps and bounds better than the S54? The factory pulled 343 bhp from them with roughly 3/5 the displacement it took to achieve 400-ish bhp with the S62. I understand the torque difference, bug I don't see it being "leaps and bounds" better in any way. I used factory numbers for comparison because once you start modding either engine you can throw the comparisons in the shitter. Even BMW pulled 360 bhp from the CSL with little mods.
    I guess I'm a little biased as far as my 'leaps and bounds" better. First off, the Vanos set-up is MUCH more advanced on the s62. The cam-timing and tuning is spot on from the factory, and gives the feel of a much higher displacement v8. The s62 also pulls like a freight train on the freeway!

    The main thing the s62 has over an s54, other than power, is the sexy exhaust note! The factory s54 sounds like a cat being killed by a chainsaw. :shock:

    The factory s62 exhaust is much nicer, but when it's opened up it sounds godly! :bow:

    There are only a few e46 m3s that I've heard with nice exhaust, most sound horrible to me. The US s54 is easily BMWs worst sounding motor from the factory. Granted with the CSL airbox, and non-US headers, it sounds better, but still not all that great. :down:

    The e39 m5 wakes up nicely with modifications, just like the s54. However, the mods for an s62 cost more then they're worth. Ultimately I've always been a much bigger fan of v8s over 6 cylinder engines, and the s62 is one of my favorites. In reality for hp/litre, the s54 is more impressive, but it will never be a v8.

    Originally posted by kristov
    Thanks for your input!

    Have you driven both engines in an E30?

    I was looking for some real world experience.

    With MAF-delete and alpha-n tuning the S62 is supposed to deliver 440hp. That would be perfect for my needs.
    I wish I could drive either in an e30! :puppy:

    There are VERY few owners of either swap in an e30. Most of them are on your side of the pond at that. The s62 would be a monster in an e30!

    Here are clip's of Limmet's Beast, I'd love to own that e30!!! :





    Another option is to get an s54 and throw a supercharger kit on it. :twisted:

    Leave a comment:


  • kristov
    replied
    Originally posted by e30polak
    The s62 is leaps and bounds better than an s54, but not necessarily the best choice for an e30 IMO. The v8 + M5 6 speed are significantly heavier then the s54 set-up. It's also a more expensive motor, which makes parts for it that much more expensive.

    The aftermarket scene for the s62 is nearly non-existent, not like you need more than 400hp in an e30. On the other hand, the s54 has some nice, affordable mods that really wake it up.

    An s62 e30 would be ridiculous. The broad power-band would allow for some pretty long gears for gas mileage, while still having enough grunt to hang with a new Z06.

    The s54 will probably be my next swap unless I go for an LSX motor, or go through with the blower this summer. It truly is an amazing engine, it's the perfect match for an e30 IMO.
    Thanks for your input!

    Have you driven both engines in an E30?

    I was looking for some real world experience.

    With MAF-delete and alpha-n tuning the S62 is supposed to deliver 440hp. That would be perfect for my needs.

    Leave a comment:


  • rThor432
    replied
    ^^How exactly is the S62 leaps and bounds better than the S54? The factory pulled 343 bhp from them with roughly 3/5 the displacement it took to achieve 400-ish bhp with the S62. I understand the torque difference, bug I don't see it being "leaps and bounds" better in any way. I used factory numbers for comparison because once you start modding either engine you can throw the comparisons in the shitter. Even BMW pulled 360 bhp from the CSL with little mods.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30polak
    replied
    Originally posted by kristov
    How big is the difference between the S54 and the S62?

    Is the S62 worth the extra cash and work?

    I had an S54 in E30 so I know how that works.
    The s62 is leaps and bounds better than an s54, but not necessarily the best choice for an e30 IMO. The v8 + M5 6 speed are significantly heavier then the s54 set-up. It's also a more expensive motor, which makes parts for it that much more expensive.

    The aftermarket scene for the s62 is nearly non-existent, not like you need more than 400hp in an e30. On the other hand, the s54 has some nice, affordable mods that really wake it up.

    An s62 e30 would be ridiculous. The broad power-band would allow for some pretty long gears for gas mileage, while still having enough grunt to hang with a new Z06.

    The s54 will probably be my next swap unless I go for an LSX motor, or go through with the blower this summer. It truly is an amazing engine, it's the perfect match for an e30 IMO.

    Leave a comment:


  • kristov
    replied
    How big is the difference between the S54 and the S62?

    Is the S62 worth the extra cash and work?

    I had an S54 in E30 so I know how that works.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pzary3233
    replied
    Originally posted by hoveringuy
    413 doesn't do DBW, but it's not difficult to to build a small control circuit, particularly for the S54 which doesn't have the limp-home non-linearity in the throttle bodies.

    Or get a cable bell crank conversion for $150.
    After reading his thread on his M54 swap this is a very interesting idea...

    HOWEVER I would be interested with a PNP setup for the S54...

    Leave a comment:


  • matt
    replied
    Originally posted by FredK
    Dude. How complicated can the signal the DSC is sending the DME be. I'm pretty sure the DSC is doing a lot of the heavy work work of distributing brake pressure and determining what the individual wheel speed sensors is. It probably modulates power by pulsing a squarewave signal sent to the DME.

    What is the best way to tap into that signal? Maybe some needle-like scope probes?
    CAN bus.

    I have info on that if anyone wants it.

    Leave a comment:


  • FredK
    replied
    Is there some type of algorithm you know at least the basics of?

    Leave a comment:


  • triggrhaapi
    replied
    The DSC signal uses wheel speed sensors. It's quite complicated.

    Leave a comment:


  • FredK
    replied
    Dude. How complicated can the signal the DSC is sending the DME be. I'm pretty sure the DSC is doing a lot of the heavy work work of distributing brake pressure and determining what the individual wheel speed sensors is. It probably modulates power by pulsing a squarewave signal sent to the DME.

    What is the best way to tap into that signal? Maybe some needle-like scope probes?

    Leave a comment:


  • triggrhaapi
    replied
    Hell with that, I'd just do cable throttle. Infinitely easier.

    Leave a comment:


  • hoveringuy
    replied
    Originally posted by triggrhaapi
    413 works with drive by wire? Or would you have to use S50B32 T/Bs?
    413 doesn't do DBW, but it's not difficult to to build a small control circuit, particularly for the S54 which doesn't have the limp-home non-linearity in the throttle bodies.

    Or get a cable bell crank conversion for $150.

    Leave a comment:


  • triggrhaapi
    replied
    413 works with drive by wire? Or would you have to use S50B32 T/Bs?

    Leave a comment:


  • hoveringuy
    replied
    413 ecu. Convert the cam trigger signal to OBD1 format. Independent VANOS control. Scale the ECU for higher rpms.

    Leave a comment:


  • triggrhaapi
    replied
    Originally posted by hoveringuy
    Just run it OBD1 and be done with it.
    And how do you propose one does that?

    Leave a comment:

Working...