Bad Thermostat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Thermostat?

So when I'm driving my car will heat up to about halfway between the half and 3/4 marks. Then after a 10 maybe 15 seconds it'll drop right back down to the half mark, like the thermostat is taking too long to open. The highest its ever gotten while doing this was the 3/4 mark.

You mean hot starting Or when starting cold it just keeps heating up? Or do you mean it heats up in stop and go traffic?

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

It'll happen under an conditions, all though it happens more frequently at cruising speeds, or so it seems.

Comment

are you running any engine fan?
        sigpic

Comment

Nope, but the e-fan is wired to be on at all times.

Comment

replace/ drill thermostat. re bleed the cooling system

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
            Ig:ryno_pzk
            I like the tuna here.
            Originally posted by lambo
            Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
              Nope, but the e-fan is wired to be on at all times.
              why? you're sucking HP all the time when you don't need to. get a thermoswitch. they're like $20.. :p
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Shit I dunno. It was easier than doing all that.

Comment

i dont have any fan on my m42 car and it kinda does that on long cruises on the highway, but not as hot of temps. it creeps barely up to the middle mark then back down again, and repeats.
                  sigpic

Comment

Shit I dunno. It was easier than doing all that.
                    what, plugging the fan into the stock aux fan wiring and changing the thermoswitch? lol :)
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Its kind of a long story. lol.

Comment

Is the car loosing coolant? If so you may be seeing overheats/overpressure from a small head gasket leak. That will form a bubble in the cooling system, causing the engine to run hot. When the pressure gets high enough the cap lifts, venting coolant and air and the temp comes back down.
                        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                          Is the car loosing coolant? If so you may be seeing overheats/overpressure from a small head gasket leak. That will form a bubble in the cooling system, causing the engine to run hot. When the pressure gets high enough the cap lifts, venting coolant and air and the temp comes back down.
                          I am with this guy.
                          My previous build (currently E30-less)
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Yeah its losing coolant, but I attributed it to a slow leak instead of a headgasket.

that's bad news.

Comment

Yeah its losing coolant, but I attributed it to a slow leak instead of a headgasket.

that's bad news.

If its a slow leak, then when the coolant gets too low the temp will go up, thermostat opens, and the temp goes down.

The same exact thing happened in my E30 when i had a 318is rad trying to cool the M50. Exact same symptoms as you.

I swapped in a 325is cooling system, and I was much happier, and the problem disappeared.

Check your coolant level when it starts doing it. If its really low then you have a pretty bad leak.
                              My previous build (currently E30-less)
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Working...
                              X