Can cams be installed incorrectly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can cams be installed incorrectly?

Except for obviously snapping them in half, can they be installed incorrectly? My car tends to shut off under load only at around 2800-3200rpm, and the shop is attributing it to possibly the head having the wrong cam, or it being installed incorrectly. Everything else has been checked and is good - vanos, ecu, oil and fuel pressure, spark, etc.

It's possible to not set the cam timing correctly.

Comment

Isnt that the same as just setting the car's timing correctly at TDC? Or does the cam have to be set seperate from the actual Vanos timing? It could be that the timing is off because the shop says that the valves are JUST SLIGHTLY hitting the top of the pistons - but no valves seem to be bent.

Comment

the two cams can be off, or just one, or neither. All scenarios are possible, but its a little hard to say without having the car.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by graphikg View Post
          Isnt that the same as just setting the car's timing correctly at TDC? Or does the cam have to be set seperate from the actual Vanos timing?
          Yeah, same thing. There is no "VANOS timing". When you install the VANOS, you have to set the cam timing for both cams.

It could be that the timing is off because the shop says that the valves are JUST SLIGHTLY hitting the top of the pistons - but no valves seem to be bent.
          Unless your rods somehow streched, or your crank decided to bend, then I'd put my money on the cam timing being off if you are experiencing piston-valve contact.

Comment

...the shop says that the valves are JUST SLIGHTLY hitting the top of the pistons - but no valves seem to be bent.
            I don't know how long you've had the engine together, but that can seriously impact the health of your rod bearings. A buddy of mine's 5.0l Mustang spun a rod back in high school, and when his Dad pulled the motor apart, they found the valves had been ever so slightly kissing pistons and forcing the piston/rod assembly down against the crank.
            1991 318iS
            1992 911
            2006 330i 6-Spd ZSP people hauler

Gone:
            1989 M3 S50B32, 6-Spd
            1990 325ix 5-Spd

Comment

Originally posted by ChaseN View Post
              I don't know how long you've had the engine together, but that can seriously impact the health of your rod bearings. A buddy of mine's 5.0l Mustang spun a rod back in high school, and when his Dad pulled the motor apart, they found the valves had been ever so slightly kissing pistons and forcing the piston/rod assembly down against the crank.
              It hasnt been together for too long, maybe 20 miles or less running with this problem.

Originally posted by erik325i View Post
              Unless your rods somehow streched, or your crank decided to bend, then I'd put my money on the cam timing being off if you are experiencing piston-valve contact.
              G DAMN! It could be a bent crank. I would be devastated if it is that.

Comment

It hasnt been together for too long, maybe 20 miles or less running with this problem.
                Ahhh! Lucky :)

G DAMN! It could be a bent crank. I would be devastated if it is that.
                Argh! Unlucky
                1991 318iS
                1992 911
                2006 330i 6-Spd ZSP people hauler

Gone:
                1989 M3 S50B32, 6-Spd
                1990 325ix 5-Spd

Comment

Shop says it cant be a bent crank or stretched rod because the car wouldnt idle as well as it does and it would be vibrating; the car doesnt vibrate.

Comment

How does the motor respond outside of 2800-3200 rpms?
                    turk@gutenparts.com

Originally posted by Janderson
                    Properly placed zip ties will hold bridges together.

Comment

Possible bad ECU!?
                      NASA
                      BMWCCA member
                      PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                      1997 M3 sedan
                      2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Since the cam bearing caps are line-bored you must use the exact bearing cap from the exact location it was removed from. I made this mistake on another car. I had installed the bearing caps from another head in the correct order the 1,2,3,4 markings on the caps corresponded with the correct cylinders, but even torquing the cam bearing cap bolts to 15 ft-lbs could cause the cam to seize up and the engine couldnt start. I was so confused. I doubt this is your problem but it is an answer to "can cams be installed incorrectly"

Comment

cam timing.

did you install schrick cams? schricks are notorious for the timing blocks to be off. you cannot just install them "square up." you need a dial to install them.

this happened to a buddies s50. exact same symptoms. unplug your vanos and see if the it continues. my guess is that when the vanos engages (advances the cam 7deg) it is too far off and pistons kiss the valves. (we unplugged the vanos solenoid and the car ran above 2800. plugged in the vanos and the car would not run above 2800.)

jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason89i View Post
                            you cannot just install them "square up." you need a dial to install them.
                            You mean the sides are not perpendicular to the heads? No m/s5x cams can be installed "squared up" where the top of the cam square is parallel to the head surface... instead the sides have to be basically perpendicular to the head (I'm not even sure if that's 100% true, I've never measured my cam block tools, maybe it's more like a 95 degree angle?). So you're saying Schricks take it one step further and aren't even perpendicular on the sides, and require their own installation technique other then the cam blocks? Just curious... I've never messed with Schricks. If so, that sucks!
                            85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                            e30 restoration and V8 swap
                            24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

correct. stock bmw cams are installed by the factory "square up." you use the little cam block tool (see pic below) to install stock cams. HOWEVER, schricks have a few batches of cams where they were not a "square up" install. Johns in perticular were 8-13 degrees off .... cant remember if the intake was off by 8 or 13...... but you get the idea.

Also note in pic, the top edge (unmachined) is NOT parallel with the face of head. The side edges (machined) ARE perpendicular to the face of head. the "square" ends are actually parallelograms (sp?).

cheers, jason

(thanks e36-tech.com for pic.)

Comment

Working...
                              X