Who's Running No Charcoal Canister?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
    Yes it's just a hose. It works just fine. No problems whatsoever. The cars in europe have worked 30+ years with the gas tank venting directly to atmosphere. No gas smell etc
    The charcoal canister (and breather hose to intake) is just emission thing to prevent gas vapors escaping to open air.
    Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
    ^^^^^ This ^^^^

not one of my cars has a charcoal canister or a purge valve or anything associated with it.
    Tanks vented to atmospehere, if it makes you feel better put a small filter on it so no insects can crawl in there and make a nest.

No gas smell in my garage that I didn't put there, no gas smell in the cars.
    This is 100% a US EPA thing they invented to protect their phony baloney jobs.
    You can tell when you look at the cars that it was added on, As posted previously cars in Europe did just fine without it. Its just extra parts.
    Awesome, thank you so much, that is exactly what I wanted to know!
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Boosted E30 View Post
      I just plugged the nipple on the throttle body and have the purge valve vented to atmosphere, havnt had a problem yet.

Old post, but can always try..

You also removed the purge valve and don't have any fault codes? If yes, you replaced it by a resistor for example?

Comment

Originally posted by ThatSoftwareGuy View Post
        Old post, but can always try..

You also removed the purge valve and don't have any fault codes? If yes, you replaced it by a resistor for example?

I don’t think EVAP system was a part of diagnostic system on these things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
          I don’t think EVAP system was a part of diagnostic system on these things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some posts in this topic are talking about a CEL regarding to purge valve stuck open. Doesn't mind having this fault code in my E30, but only need to be sure the ECU doesn't correct injection in such a situation or throw the car in limp mode after some time for example.

Guess I will measure the resistance over the purge valve when it is connected with ignition on and replace it afterwards with an equal resistor.

What do you advice?

Comment

Originally posted by ThatSoftwareGuy View Post

Some posts in this topic are talking about a CEL regarding to purge valve stuck open. Doesn't mind having this fault code in my E30, but only need to be sure the ECU doesn't correct injection in such a situation or throw the car in limp mode after some time for example.

Guess I will measure the resistance over the purge valve when it is connected with ignition on and replace it afterwards with an equal resistor.

What do you advice?
            CEL from purge valve on e30? very doubtful ....

Comment

I’m two years into running like this... no CEL, no smell. Purge valve plugged in and laid in the engine bay with TB nipple blocked off.
              1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
              1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I never had a sensor so I just put a mini filter (I think for PCV on old US V8s) on the end of the hard line in the engine bay and capped the throttle body line. The plug just kinda hangs out. There's no fuel smell and no CEL (although mine doesn't have one).
                Originally posted by Melon
                Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                  I’m two years into running like this... no CEL, no smell. Purge valve plugged in and laid in the engine bay with TB nipple blocked off.
                  Will do it like this way on my M52 OBD2 swapped E30.

Would not have unnecessary stuff in my engine bay so if I could replace it by a resistor I would prefer it. However, the purge valve doesn;'t take that much space.

Comment

Working...
                  X