No announcement yet.

CAlifornia BAR/SMOG/engine swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See attached, only connection to dme is indirect through AC pressure switch. (DME controls AC which then can turn fan on)
    Attached Files

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
      See attached, only connection to dme is indirect through AC pressure switch. (DME controls AC which then can turn fan on)
      Thank you Dave, U da man! With the AC deleted I should be good as is.

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
        Thank you Dave, U da man! With the AC deleted I should be good as is.

Comment

Any updates on anyone passing their tests? I am literally starting my Fuel Pressure Switch, Carbon Canister, and OBD2 port wiring today... due by June 8!! AGGGGHHH! :)

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
          HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
          **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

Dave and Andrew...

Also wondering if you guys wire the harnesses you build for the (trunk area) Fuel Pressure Switch and Carbon Canister DIRECTLY to the ECU or do you go through relays? The wires are awfully dainty at the devices themselves, so I was just going to wire them into my harness directly.

Your thoughts are welcomed! Thank you!

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
            HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
            **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

We wire directly to ecu. They're all small amperage and one is 5v

Check Us out on Facebook
              Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
              Full Product Line Tuning
              OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

i'm currently trying to get my car to pass the BAR, and the only issue I'm having is with wiring up a CEL. I have one wire from the CEL bulb going to a constant 12v and the other to the c101, but none of the wires in the c101 seem to be allowing me to do the stomp test. also, my car is an m30b35 swap, so it's a little different but the CEL setup should still be the same. I have a 325i harness as well if that helps

Comment

Obd2 bar

Originally posted by clavinZERO View Post
                  Any updates on anyone passing their tests? I am literally starting my Fuel Pressure Switch, Carbon Canister, and OBD2 port wiring today... due by June 8!! AGGGGHHH! :)
                  Have not been back in to the ref, did manage to knock out a few things on the way though.
                  - wired in the rectangular 16 pin obd2 connector in cabin that they asked for, I put it in the glove box.
                  - took a sawzall to a stock e36 CAI to try to make it fit with no success, found and ordered the Dinan one that has a CA BAR sticker for $300. It just arrived and looks amazing just sitting on the table. It will go in tomorrow and I would like to acknowledge Dinan with a huge gracias or it would end here imo.
                  - BMW dealership to confirm the smog software is correct and installed, so lame. For this I called around and the El Cajon location seems to have a service guy that gets it, fee is $300 and I leave my car for the day. Not comfortable with shelling out another 3 bills for hot air or leaving my rig there.

The car pulls like a freight train.

Interested to hear your trials and tribulations.

Comment

CA BAR OBD2 rabbit hole

Dinan e36 C.A.I. does not fit into e30 chassis unless (maybe) the anti lock brakes are removed? Have not tried to remove anti lock brakes and do not intend to. Could modify the Dinan aluminum tube (needs 4.5 inches taken out of the middle), but it will then be considered tampered and possibly fail inspection.

Was hoping this was going to be an 'easy button' item on the punch list, but instead am starting to think that it is impossible to satisfy the CA BAR requirements for this OBD2 swap without some custom fabrication and a blind eye from the referee on a couple of things.

In spite of that notion, I'm going to keep plodding along with blinders on for now and see how far I get down the rabbit hole I get.

Comment

Use an ECIS intake, comes with sticker and fits without modification.
                      Project
                      Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by arch4ngel View Post
                        Use an ECIS intake, comes with sticker and fits without modification.
                        You sir are my new best friend. I spoke with Ben at ECIS prior to purchasing and with his input I went for it and spent $239 on their cold air intake. I appear to have suffered from premature congratulations to Dinan (post#128) and owe that praise instead to ECIS as their unit fit right in with no problem ;). An East coast company making a strictly West coast part that works for the e30 chassis.

Next up is installing the fan clutch and fan for the visual part of the inspection. I'm sure others have done this and have details on if it works or not, would be interested in hearing any first hand accounts. Really only need it to not come in contact with the radiator for the test and ride or trailer home.

Haven't been working on the swap car as much as I would like to, been under the kids e30 replacing everything. It's a craigslist car, the crack free dash and seats had me hypnotized.

Comment

The Ref shouldnt care about the intake. They should only care about whats between the MAF and the cats
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            The Ref shouldnt care about the intake. They should only care about whats between the MAF and the cats

lol, before i started my swap the smog shops wouldnt even do the smog test if i had anything but the stock air box intake on my old m20

Comment

ECIS intake?

Please provide ECIS' phone or website - my searches have resulted in dead ends.

Also, the part number would be great too.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian697 View Post
                                Please provide ECIS' phone or website - my searches have resulted in dead ends.

Also, the part number would be great too.

Thanks!
                                Rogue Engineering sells it, http://www.rogueengineering.com/

ECIS-INT1998-2000 M Coupe/Roadster ECIS Cold Air Intake

Comment

Working...
                                X