No announcement yet.

CAlifornia BAR/SMOG/engine swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or they could just continue the 25 year rule that was originally supposed to happen...
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Anyone know which charcoal canister I need to install in my OBDI S50 for the BAR inspection? Anyone have one lying around?

Comment

Originally posted by PacificExposure View Post
        Anyone know which charcoal canister I need to install in my OBDI S50 for the BAR inspection? Anyone have one lying around?
        In my experience at the BAR Ref (2 different 24v cars), the stock e30 canister has been acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by PacificExposure View Post
          Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
          In my experience at the BAR Ref (2 different 24v cars), the stock e30 canister has been acceptable.
          Stock E30 worked for me too
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Wanted to post about my BAR experience. The process isn't bad at all, I didn't pass because I didn't have the speed sensor wire hooked up to the ECU (I was told the M50NV wasn't looking for it... totally wrong) I also barley failed on emissions, but they ran the test after it sat for 20 minutes. I hooked up the wire, paid for a smog pre test locally and passed emissions with flying colors when its warmed up for a few minutes. He also scanned the computer and confirmed it was hooked up. I've got an appointment next Wednesday, I'm hoping for a pass!

TLDR; Hook everything up even if others say its not needed.

Comment

^awesome to hear! What station did you go to?
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

my experience

OBD1 s50 swap notes:

Don't buy used cats.
                No need for CARB approved intake for OBD1 but use OE intake boot.
                EVAP test (LPFET) was marked N/A after confirming a proper seal was not possible on the E30 style gas cap. (failed for this initially but got confirmation from 5 pretest smog shops)
                As usual, drive for 30 mins on the freeway before going onto the rollers.
                Swap should look "clean" in the engine bay. No excessive exposed wiring, etc.

Took me three tries to finally get through the process.

Jay

Comment

Going to get tested in a week, wish me luck!

Comment

Originally posted by MuhTorks View Post
                    Passing BAR might be a challenge if you have long tube headers on the car per your other thrd GL !
                    My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Originally posted by MuhTorks View Post
                      might be a good idea to try and run a factory airbox/smog legal air intake. I've heard they can be real sticklers about everything.
                      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

For obd1 nothing before the maf matters. 100% shown to me in the rule book by a referee with a whole baseball bat up his ass regarding everything else.
                        cars beep boop

Comment

oh good to know.
                          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Where’s the guy who passed his obd2 24v swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just to reiterate the validity of what kronus said, this is from the BAR website. Note the 95 and older model year does not require an EO, provided emissions controls are still functioning. So, don't touch anything after the MAF and you're good. If its obd2 (1996 and newer) you have to have a CARB/EO number.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRob View Post
                                Just to reiterate the validity of what kronus said, this is from the BAR website. Note the 95 and older model year does not require an EO, provided emissions controls are still functioning. So, don't touch anything after the MAF and you're good. If its obd2 (1996 and newer) you have to have a CARB/EO number.

So to get off topic a little bit, if your smogging your m20, would a cone filter fail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X