• Time
  • Show
Clear All

no
    cars beep boop

Comment

Got my sticker!

Originally posted by wworm View Post
      ^awesome to hear! What station did you go to?
      I went to Vallejo.

The guy said, hook everything up, make it look clean, new catalytic converters and you will pass.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowB0und View Post
        Got my sticker!

I went to Vallejo.

The guy said, hook everything up, make it look clean, new catalytic converters and you will pass.
        congrats! Shouldnt be too hard right? lol famous last words
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Maybe I haven't read enough yet, are the refs checking motor numbers to verify what the motor actually is? or can you just tell them its an M50, even though you may have an M52 in there with an m50 intake. or are they savy enough to recognize the vanos actuator on the m52.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick610s View Post
            Maybe I haven't read enough yet, are the refs checking motor numbers to verify what the motor actually is? or can you just tell them its an M50, even though you may have an M52 in there with an m50 intake. or are they savy enough to recognize the vanos actuator on the m52.
            Hmmm interesting question. Why don't you do the swap and report back with results and refs comments
            My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

2man tried to BAR his m52 swap as an m50 and it was apparently a huge pain in the ass, more of a pain in the ass than swapping back to an m52 manifold for BAR
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

2man tried to BAR his m52 swap as an m50 and it was apparently a huge pain in the ass, more of a pain in the ass than swapping back to an m52 manifold for BAR
                But wasn't he using used cats....
                He also never got the car passed the bar...
                Last edited by 36brua; 06-29-2018, 09:37 AM.
                My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Originally posted by 36brua View Post
                  paging 2man lol
                  1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by Nick610s View Post
                    Hmmm interesting question. Why don't you do the swap and report back with results and refs comments
                    Hi Guys.

Let me clear this up...

I had a M52 with M50 manifold, S52 cams, 21.5# Injectors, OBD1 TRM Tune.

I started with a stock M50 downpipe with ~150k, then to a slightly modified (just to work on OBD1) S52 downpipe then finally brand new Magnaflow CA legal cats. The tune also changed a few times....

I blame 2 things for my car not passing:

#1 I shouldve listened to my mechanic and bought a WAR chip so he couldve created 2 tunes for me, a SMOG tune and a performance tune. I didnt listen and bought off the shelf chips for my modified car.

#2 The ref would let the car sit for 20-30 minutes when I would arrive, so the cats were never really warm enough, and combined with #1 this resulted in it not passing the tailpipe emissions test and No BAR sticker.

To answer your questions, he never checked the engine. I showed him the VIN sticker on the ECU and we went based off that, but your results may vary. The closer to stock the car and motor are, the easier it should be. Mine was quite a big off of what a stock M50 was so it made my life harder.

It all depends on what you are starting with and what resources you have to accomplish the swap. Parts car on hand is the most ideal start. I had none of that.
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Just as an "am I going in the right direction?" question; I am looking at a 97 M3 and can potentially make a deal for the entire car. Would this be a good candidate for a swap over to my 88 convertible? Would the extra smog shit (air pump, etc) make it more difficult than another model year of donor car?

Thanks,
                      Sean

Comment

'95 is going to be the only year that is significantly easier than everything else.
                        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                          '95 is going to be the only year that is significantly easier than everything else.
                          That's what I thought, but is that just due to the air pump set up? I'm thinking I could relocate the battery to the trunk this giving me a place to mount the pump in the engine bay. Is there anything else that would be difficult to swap over?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

So, collectively, do those of you who have done this swap and kept it CA legal think it is doable with the 97, or would I be better off to keep looking for a 95?

Comment

the difference between 95 and 96-99 M3s is OBD1 vs OBD2, which have vastly different capabilities and are subject to different evaluation processes at the ref.

it's doable OBD2, as documented in this thread and numerous build threads, but it is less easy than OBD1.
                              cars beep boop

Comment

Ah yes, the OBD I vs II, I forgot about that, but still, with an entire car, it shouldn't be that difficult (famous last words!)

Should probably just forget about it and register the car in another state

Comment

Working...
                                X