Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bringing this back from the dead, but for some of you early model guys, what radiator did you guys fit in with this swap? and how did you guys mount it?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	BDBA58D4-5864-4E53-891E-58DB187A23DD.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	10055309 1. Engine

S52 with Eagle rods, 11:1 Carillo pistons, Schrick 276/270 cams, Supertech double valve springs, hardened steel retainers, seats and keepers, SI stainless stock sized valves, Arp rod bolts and head studs, new INA lifters, Achilles oil pump shaft upgrade, oil pump chain tensioner retrofit, Iwis racing chains, Harper Fabrication 24v pan setup, GDM engineering crank hub w/ac pulley and ATI super damper, s50b32 euro throttle bodies using Metric Mechanic adapter, Custom tps mounting bracket by Alex Walker, RHD phenolic spacer, 24lb Bosch injectors, SPA Turbo adjustable FPR, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Performance MRP custom maf housing, Porsche 803 maf, Castro Motorsport’s air box, Radium catch can & Pcv valve, VTT Oil cap breather (in case of pcv failure), K&N air filter, Vac 3 piece underdrive pulleys.

2. Engine Wiring

Siemens ms41.2 Dme tuned by Mark D’Sylva from live data logs. Modified Obd2 harness with added Obd2 port and ac idle bump relay. LeatherZ oil distribution block with gauge senders for oil temp and pressure wired into center vent gauge pod. Along with battery volts. Aem 30-4110 gauge in glovebox with stealth mount and serial port for logging.

3. Drivetrain

Getrag 420g converted from smg. UUC 8.8lb flywheel, e34 m5 pressure plate, Clutchmasters FX250 e46 M3 sprung disc, e36 325i slave, e46 M3 release bearing, Ben Sipson trans mounting bracket, rebuilt e36 M3 automatic driveshaft with e30 center bearing, 3.46 torsen differential from a Z3, Garagistic braided clutch hose, Revshift 80a trans and diff mounts.

4. Shift Lever and Linkage

BM Speedshop oem height chassis mount shifer, AKG euro 6 speed dssr, weighted Bmw 6 speed wood knob.

5. Motor Mounts

Revshift 80a 24v swap mounts. 6mm shim on top for header clearance.

6. Brake Booster, Master Cylinder, and Reservoir

Massive Booster Delete, AKG bronze pedal bushings, Bimmerworld Aluminum pedal set, Porsche 911 19mm master cylinder, Wilwood 260-12627 adjustable proportioning valve, Massive 280mm front Wilwood brake kit, 2002 remote reservoir with n15design mounting bracket, rebuilt/powder coated rear calipers with new seals, Bimmerworld stainless pistons and brass caliper guide bushings, Garagistic braided brake hoses.

7. Steering System

Z3 steering rack, Ireland Engineering poly steering disc, e30 inner/outer tie rods, e36 M3 reservoir on engine arm and lines.

8. Cooling System

E36 m3 Behr radiator, 80/88 temp switch, factory aux fan up front with new resistor, Spal 16” puller in front wired to factory temp switch and fusebox, Castro Motorsport’s solid radiator mounting bracket and Spal fan brackets. Stewart water pump, 88C thermostat and e39 m52 housing.

9. Exhaust System

S50b32 euro headers ceramic coated, cut shorter with 2” v-bands at the ends, custom dual midsection and x pipe using 2” 304 stainless mandrel bends and magnaflow resonators. E30 325i Billy Boat cat back exhaust. Braided flex joint near one side of x pipe. Wideband bung in side of x pipe. Garagistic sway bar spacers for additional header clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by bimr84 View Post
        Click image for larger version  Name:	BDBA58D4-5864-4E53-891E-58DB187A23DD.jpg Views:	158 Size:	86.0 KB ID:	10055309​​​​​ 1. Engine

S52 with Eagle rods, 11:1 Carillo pistons, Schrick 276/270 cams, Supertech double valve springs, hardened steel retainers, seats and keepers, SI stainless stock sized valves, Arp rod bolts and head studs, new INA lifters, Achilles oil pump shaft upgrade, oil pump chain tensioner retrofit, Iwis racing chains, Harper Fabrication 24v pan setup, GDM engineering crank hub w/ac pulley and ATI super damper, s50b32 euro throttle bodies using Metric Mechanic adapter, Custom tps mounting bracket by Alex Walker, RHD phenolic spacer, 24lb Bosch injectors, SPA Turbo adjustable FPR, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Performance MRP custom maf housing, Porsche 803 maf, Castro Motorsport’s air box, Radium catch can & Pcv valve, VTT Oil cap breather (in case of pcv failure), K&N air filter, Vac 3 piece underdrive pulleys.

2. Engine Wiring

Siemens ms41.2 Dme tuned by Mark D’Sylva from live data logs. Modified Obd2 harness with added Obd2 port and ac idle bump relay. LeatherZ oil distribution block with gauge senders for oil temp and pressure wired into center vent gauge pod. Along with battery volts. Aem 30-4110 gauge in glovebox with stealth mount and serial port for logging.

3. Drivetrain

Getrag 420g converted from smg. UUC 8.8lb flywheel, e34 m5 pressure plate, Clutchmasters FX250 e46 M3 sprung disc, e36 325i slave, e46 M3 release bearing, Ben Sipson trans mounting bracket, rebuilt e36 M3 automatic driveshaft with e30 center bearing, 3.46 torsen differential from a Z3, Garagistic braided clutch hose, Revshift 80a trans and diff mounts.

BM Speedshop oem height chassis mount shifer, AKG euro 6 speed dssr, weighted Bmw 6 speed wood knob.

5. Motor Mounts

Revshift 80a 24v swap mounts. 6mm shim on top for header clearance.

6. Brake Booster, Master Cylinder, and Reservoir

Massive Booster Delete, AKG bronze pedal bushings, Bimmerworld Aluminum pedal set, Porsche 911 19mm master cylinder, Wilwood 260-12627 adjustable proportioning valve, Massive 280mm front Wilwood brake kit, 2002 remote reservoir with n15design mounting bracket, rebuilt/powder coated rear calipers with new seals, Bimmerworld stainless pistons and brass caliper guide bushings, Garagistic braided brake hoses.

7. Steering System

Z3 steering rack, Ireland Engineering poly steering disc, e30 inner/outer tie rods, e36 M3 reservoir on engine arm and lines.

8. Cooling System

E36 m3 Behr radiator, 80/88 temp switch, factory aux fan up front with new resistor, Spal 16” puller in front wired to factory temp switch and fusebox, Castro Motorsport’s solid radiator mounting bracket and Spal fan brackets. Stewart water pump, 88C thermostat and e39 m52 housing.

9. Exhaust System

S50b32 euro headers ceramic coated, cut shorter with 2” v-bands at the ends, custom dual midsection and x pipe using 2” 304 stainless mandrel bends and magnaflow resonators. E30 325i Billy Boat cat back exhaust. Braided flex joint near one side of x pipe. Wideband bung in side of x pipe. Garagistic sway bar spacers for additional header clearance.

Looks fantastic, any sound clip's?

Comment

Thanks! Haven’t taken any except first start videos. On my IG bimr84

Comment

Finally adding my project to this. I've been watching this thread for years, and two years ago, I finally took the plunge and did the swap myself. Of course it's unfinished, but here's where it stands:

1. Engine
            Frankenstein M52: completely rebuilt an M52 from a Z3 to utilize an aluminum block, then installed M54 rotating assembly. This bumped up the displacement from 2.8 to 3.0 due to the longer stroke, but same bore size (of 84mm). Then I paired that with S50 cams. I pieced this all together from several engines, then I handed the parts over to BimmerHeads. They performed the necessary machine work as with any "stock" rebuild, from honing the bores to rebuilding the head. They assembled the long block, and I did the rest to get the engine in the car.
            Almost everything is new, from a rebuilt Vanos to the intake boot. At this point, the only two things that aren't new are the alternator and the idle control valve, which I think is giving me problems lol.

2. Engine Wiring
            I was adament from the beginning of the project that this needed to be kept OBD2, and that I was going to get this car BAR'd in California. I haven't done that yet, but am close. Just about everything is there in the harness, which was nicely fixed up for me by a forum member here, by the name of sweet3 I think. I'll add here that because it's OBD2, I have a digital scan gauge permanently installed in my center console, where I have 4 parameters shown a at all times. (RPM, volts, water temp, & air intake temp. It can be customized beyond those.)

3. Drivetrain
            Used the standard ZF 5-speed trans, and used my original driveshaft, thanks to an adapter plate from somebody in the UK. Forgot the name but can find the receipt. Current diff is a 3.15, sold to me as a Torsen, but I think I was lied to. I have a rebuilt 2.93 LSD almost ready to go in soon, I find the revs on the highway to be too high. I lose a little bit of power by lowering the ratio, but the engine is plenty for passing as it is.

Installed a stock Z3 shift lever, with a Garagistic DSSR. I also cut and welded the rear carrier mount, moving it over, to center the shifter in the hole.

5. Motor Mounts
            I utilized the AKG motor mounts that are solid urethane. I don't find them to be harsh or annoying. At an earlier time, I did reinforce my front (and rear) subframes, so I have stronger base for the motor mounts, & sway bar, etc.

6. Brake Booster, Master Cylinder, and External Reservoir
            E83 booster and master (from an X3). I did have to cut off the clevis & shorten the rod, and I welded on the E30 clevis. If I had to do it again, I would order a Euro-model E90 booster/master. I remote-mounted a 2002 reservoir on the shock tower, using a bracket I custom made.

7. Steering System
            One of the first upgrades to my car, many many years ago, was a regular E36 rack. For this swap, I kept the rack and installed the power steering pump that came with the engine (Z3's are a little different for some reason). I ditched the stock reservoir in favor of a Chase Bays reservoir. OEM high pressure line, standard low pressure line.

8. Cooling System
            This, in my opinion, is the most significant change, but also very easily unnoticed. I cut out the stock core support and built my own. I also cut the area just behind the hood latch, and plated it back together to hide the change. This allowed me to push the top of the radiator forward a little, and the bottom got pushed forward a lot. This then allowed me to fit a high-flow (3000 CFM) 16" puller fan from Flex-a-Lite, called Flex Wave. I live in the desert, so making sure the car would stay cool was important to me. However, even with those changes, I could not fit a thicker Z3M radiator. I have the standard E36 radiator... and it works just fine. All the hoses are OEM, and the pump is a Stewart. And since it's an early model, I did mount a late model tank on the other side by welding a tab on and bolting the clip in.
            Since there's no A/C section here, I'll add here that yes, I do also have functional air conditioning. This also is sitting on the custom core support, with its own 16" pusher fan, mounted on my own custom brackets. The lines from the compressor had to be custom made. I bought the individual components (fittings and lines), marked, cut, and took them to a shop to crimp.

9. Exhaust System
            Stock OBD2 headers, fully custom stainless after that. I built that from scratch as well. Downpipes are 2" I think, then merged in a 2.25" followed by a 2.5" transition, then to a cat, a Vibrant resonator, more 2.5" all the way back to a Vibrant muffler, with 2.25" to 2.5" dual tips. The tips, I had to set perfectly too, since they sit at an angle but needed to stay lined up. Personally I find the car a little loud, so will upgrade to a larger Vibrant muffler in the future.

This is my daily driver, my only car. Basically everything works, and it works every single day (knock on wood). You'd never see this car on the street and think, nice, or wow... and I'd like to keep it that way. All the work is underneath lol.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Eng-9712.jpg Views:	0 Size:	192.5 KB ID:	10110016

Click image for larger version  Name:	Eng-9713.jpg Views:	0 Size:	192.1 KB ID:	10110017

Click image for larger version  Name:	Eng-9716.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.6 KB ID:	10110018

Click image for larger version  Name:	Eng-9718.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.7 KB ID:	10110019

Currently building a badass coffee table
            Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

More pics:

Name:	Eng-9719.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	10110021

Name:	Eng-9722.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	10110022

Name:	Eng-9726.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	10110023

Name:	Eng-9729.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	10110024

Currently building a badass coffee table
              Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Full parts/mod list in my build thread, and pictures of everything.
                Did the swap N/A first then went turbo a few years later.

Highlights below:

1. Engine
                1996 M52B28
                Precision 6062 Ball Bearing Gen2 Turbocharger. T4 Divided .84 A/R
                ARP Head studs
                SCE/ATHENA Vulcan "High Boost" Cut Ring Headgasket
                RallyRoad Billet Fuel Rail
                Injector Dynamics ID1050x

2. Engine Wiring
                Custom semi-tucked engine harness I built.
                Thinned chassis harness in engine bay.
                Shaved main power wire in engine bay.
                Standalone ECU - Megasquirt MS3X
                Full Sequential Spark & Fuel, Knock Sensors, Dual MAP Sensors (Altitude Compensation)
                14point7 Spartan 3 wideband O2 with LSU ADV sensor

3. Drivetrain
                Initially used the G260 transmission, 7.5lb flywheel, stock clutch. This was when the engine was N/A.
                Arrived at this current setup:
                ZF320 Transmission
                HDT Automotive Upgraded Driveshaft w/1310 Spicer U-Joints
                SPEC Stage 3+ Street/Track Clutch Kit
                Racehead (RHD) 7.5lb Chrome-molly steel flywheel
                Weld-in reinforcements for Rear Sway Bar, Differential Mount Point, Rear Shocks, Trailing Arms
                Garagistic Secondary Diff Mount
                Revshift 80A Polyurethane Differential, Subframe, Trailing Arm Bushings
                2.93LSD

Originally used a Z3 1.9 short shifter with the G260, but changed to this when I installed the ZF320:

Modified/Custom Garagistic DSSR.
                CRS Chassis Mount Shifter w/Delrin knob

5. Motor Mounts
                E28 rubber mounts
                Level Motorsport 24v Upgraded Engine Arm (passenger side)

6. Brake Booster, Master Cylinder, and External Reservoir
                E83 X3 Brake Booster w/ 2002 Reservoir
                Chase Bays Brake Line Relocation kit

7. Steering System
                Z3 steering rack (2.7 turns lock-to-lock)
                M-Tech 1 270mm Steering Wheel

8. Cooling System
                SPAL Electric Radiator Fan (16" - 30100401)
                M42 Radiator
                Treadstone Front Mount Intercooler

9. Exhaust System​
                When the M52 was N/A, I used the OBD2 headers and made a custom connection to my modified Ansa sport exhaust system.

Turbo setup:
                Level Motorsports Twin Scroll Tubular Exhaust Manifold.
                Custom 3" Turboback Exhaust System w/v-bands
                Dynomax Super Turbo 14" Muffler (17744)
                DEI Titanium Exhaust Heat Wrap
                Heatshield Products Lava Turbo Blanket (300074)
                Dual TIAL MV-S Wastegates

Last edited by Panici; 12-13-2023, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X