Turbo time for my S50 on a "budget"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by exhaust
    As in finish this build and then build a spec car?
    Yes sir. I have a friend who races spec and I was shocked the grip that a spec car generated.

    Leave a comment:


  • bataangpinoy
    replied
    OP, my recommendation for you would be a Garrett GT3582rs. Would meet or exceed your power goals at 15lb of boost, using the .82 turbine housing and stock s50us cams.

    If you're running cams far more aggressive than the M3 cams (and a higher redline), look into the 1.02 turbine housing. Would move the power delivery higher into the revs to match.

    Leave a comment:


  • TheTacoMan
    replied
    Originally posted by BMW_TUNER
    So after a recent trip to Sonoma raceway and a nice HPDE I am thinking about shifting focus on my E30. I am now more inclined to make it handle as well as possible and make the turbo setup generate max power very low and evenly. I know that is not very fun or sexy but it will be far more track friendly. What size turbo should I be looking at to make maybe a max of 400 hp but more importantly to get boost to come in very early?
    Maybe talk to Kam, Kinugawa might have a turbo that would fit the bill. They make semi custom turbos from what I understand.

    Leave a comment:


  • exhaust
    replied
    As in finish this build and then build a spec car?

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    I am also looking at a cheap builder 1989 325i coupe that I can more easily turn into a spec car, or a spec car in waiting.

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    OBD 1 stock S50 DME.

    Leave a comment:


  • 328ijunkie
    replied
    Running OBD1 or 2 btw?
    This is an H1C on a M50 8.5:1 15psi...

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    So after a recent trip to Sonoma raceway and a nice HPDE I am thinking about shifting focus on my E30. I am now more inclined to make it handle as well as possible and make the turbo setup generate max power very low and evenly. I know that is not very fun or sexy but it will be far more track friendly. What size turbo should I be looking at to make maybe a max of 400 hp but more importantly to get boost to come in very early?

    Leave a comment:


  • e30polak
    replied
    Originally posted by BMW_TUNER
    Spent all the money with Achilles today for this bad boy.
    Achilles Motorsports Upgraded Oil Pump - BMW M50, M52, S50, S52Us has an Upgraded double D hardened chromoly shaft and a left hand thread bolt drilled for safety wire to secure your oil pump gear. Available in a New OEM pump or Remanufactured OEM!


    I should never have to give Oil Pressure another thought. Also picked up a oil pan baffle from them. Nice guy.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Glamor assembly shots next week hopefully. I also picked up a new factory firewall sound deadener. The only downside to to the new piece is I have to remove the Booster to install it but that is a small price to pay for such a nice OE look and for a significantly improved sound deadener as my old one was disintegrating.


    So what is the general thought on starting out with a larger injector capable of up to 800hp and running it at lower capacity to say 450whp? I only ask as I know that Rktunes sells two size injectors and I would like to be able to get up to 650-700 some day but I don't want to start there. Thoughts?
    Just get the 80# injectors. Jordan gets them to idle and drive great on pump gas, with lower boost and it also leaves you the option to make 500whp on e85

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Spent all the money with Achilles today for this bad boy.
    Achilles Motorsports Upgraded Oil Pump - BMW M50, M52, S50, S52Us has an Upgraded double D hardened chromoly shaft and a left hand thread bolt drilled for safety wire to secure your oil pump gear. Available in a New OEM pump or Remanufactured OEM!


    I should never have to give Oil Pressure another thought. Also picked up a oil pan baffle from them. Nice guy.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Glamor assembly shots next week hopefully. I also picked up a new factory firewall sound deadener. The only downside to to the new piece is I have to remove the Booster to install it but that is a small price to pay for such a nice OE look and for a significantly improved sound deadener as my old one was disintegrating.


    So what is the general thought on starting out with a larger injector capable of up to 800hp and running it at lower capacity to say 450whp? I only ask as I know that Rktunes sells two size injectors and I would like to be able to get up to 650-700 some day but I don't want to start there. Thoughts?

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied




    Got the Crank in, now I need to lie fit the rings and get those pistons and rods in.

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by Poopie
    Make sure its a documented assembly with written down clearances. Anyone can just bolt together the bottom end.

    In my experience its also never a bad idea to have to crank balanced with the clutch package and harmonic balancer.
    Yeah I am going to build it up myself. The crank was spun with everything hung except for the front pulley(aka harmonic balancer) I will be doing a build sheet for the construction all of the rods and Pistons were weighed and are Within less than 1 gram of each other already. It should be fun. I bought a new tq wrench just for the build and a legit degree wheel.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rob Daman
    replied
    it's gonna be a beast

    Leave a comment:


  • Poopie
    replied
    Make sure its a documented assembly with written down clearances. Anyone can just bolt together the bottom end.

    In my experience its also never a bad idea to have to crank balanced with the clutch package and harmonic balancer.

    Leave a comment:

Working...