Turbo time for my S50 on a "budget"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BMW_TUNER
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Pulled the head and came. They are in great shape. #2 piston is sitting 6-7mm lower than the rest. Apparently I was making to much power for the forged K1 H beam rods. Hope to pull the motor tomorrow and lay the rods on the bench I have a feeling the bend is significant.

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng
    Damn sorry to hear the bad news. Super clean and meticulous build though. Impfessive. Have you taken the motor apart yet to definitively say what went wrong? Also, will you continue to update this thread with s54 content?

    Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    I will update as I swap over but then the thread needs to go to the S54 side. HAHA.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dagamus(NM)
    replied
    Originally posted by BMW_TUNER
    Thanks, According to the people who love me it was probably a blessing as the engine made violent power. I am only half joking when I say that it was trying to kill me.
    Well I don't doubt that.

    How did you have your oil drain setup for your turbo? Did it go through a pump or just gravity drain to the pan?

    I am probably going to ask you a million questions about your setup.

    If you are moving away from the s50 platform to the s54 you should sell some of your parts :)
    Last edited by Dagamus(NM); 06-27-2017, 09:25 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sh3rpak!ng
    replied
    Damn sorry to hear the bad news. Super clean and meticulous build though. Impfessive. Have you taken the motor apart yet to definitively say what went wrong? Also, will you continue to update this thread with s54 content?

    Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by Dagamus(NM)
    Sorry to hear about your engine. Sub'd for great information.
    Thanks, According to the people who love me it was probably a blessing as the engine made violent power. I am only half joking when I say that it was trying to kill me.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dagamus(NM)
    replied
    Originally posted by Maad325
    Awesome! Was looking for another way to mount my fan closer and a bit more secure so it'll work properly

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Sorry to hear about your engine. Sub'd for great information.

    Leave a comment:


  • Maad325
    replied
    Originally posted by Dgerry
    Pretty sure those are the Massive brackets, here is a link to something similar on their site:



    Hope that helps!

    Dgerry
    Awesome! Was looking for another way to mount my fan closer and a bit more secure so it'll work properly

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • Dgerry
    replied
    Turbo time for my S50 on a "budget"

    Originally posted by Maad325
    Fan setup looks awesome! Had to go the same route on my 24v cause my 16" wouldnt fit in the usual spot. I'd love to get some of those fan mounts you have if you have any more of them!
    Pretty sure those are the Massive brackets, here is a link to something similar on their site:



    Hope that helps!

    Dgerry

    Leave a comment:


  • Maad325
    replied
    Originally posted by M3PO
    I have the S54 housing also. They make an AN adapter so you can do a really clean setup with an aftermarket core. Sorry, I don't have any good pics of the adapter setup. PM me if you really want some.
    Fan setup looks awesome! Had to go the same route on my 24v cause my 16" wouldnt fit in the usual spot. I'd love to get some of those fan mounts you have if you have any more of them!

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by TheTacoMan
    That bums me out, turbos can be finicky.
    Yeah I didn't even get the axle shafts in yet. Haha. I suspects that something failed bearing wise, which sucks because I had everything spec'ed to at the machine shop and even used the super expensive king bearings. The S54 won't be as temperamental hopefully. I have a friend making big numbers on a custom cam setup S54 at altitude. So it is definitely possible to hit my hp number with the S54 and spin it to 8250 or maybe do work and spin it to 8500.:devil:

    Leave a comment:


  • TheTacoMan
    replied
    That bums me out, turbos can be finicky.

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    For Sale Post is coming. I will be selling the entire S50, reworked and ported head, pistons if they aren't damaged, rods if they aren't damaged etc, The whole turbo setup and all parts and pieces that go with it, except for the Engine mounting arms and the External FPR. Otherwise it will all be up for grabs. I am working on a tunes S54 to replace it and then I will go down the road of making that balance out the car.

    Leave a comment:


  • haaken675
    replied
    man, that blows...I have been debating jumping directly into a turbo build as I am swapping my m52 into my car. I'm a bit antsy to start enjoying the car and whenever I here stories like this I think I maybe should just hold off, sort the car first, enjoy it a bit, and then lookin into doing a turbo build...

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Well tragedy struck the little S50 yesterday. It spun a bearing, based off the noise its making now probably rod bearing. Strange thing is that it never had an oil pressure event or issue. It had instant oil pressure, achiles pump. It threw no codes it just started to rattle deep and RPM based after a 13psi pull. I hate to say it but I think I am going back to N/A. I will update the thread for the good of all of those who care to travel this road and learn from my mistakes. Wish me luck and look for my for sale thread.

    Leave a comment:

Working...