Turbo time for my S50 on a "budget"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • grinchxvx
    replied
    Originally posted by BMW_TUNER
    Yeah its weird it does it from idle out of gear and in first and second gear but not in 3,4,5th gear. Vacuum is 20-22 at idle. I am looking for any solutions.


    Do a boost leak test, my friends s50 turbo did the same thing and it was just a boost leak

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by grinchxvx
    RK tunes, sounds like a vacuum/boost leak
    Yeah its weird it does it from idle out of gear and in first and second gear but not in 3,4,5th gear. Vacuum is 20-22 at idle. I am looking for any solutions.

    Leave a comment:


  • grinchxvx
    replied
    Originally posted by BMW_TUNER
    Nice. Which tune did you go with? I am starting a new thread to try and figure out a rev issue I am having.


    RK tunes, sounds like a vacuum/boost leak

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by grinchxvx
    Looks good! We're on the same team!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice. Which tune did you go with? I am starting a new thread to try and figure out a rev issue I am having.

    Leave a comment:


  • grinchxvx
    replied
    Looks good! We're on the same team!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Can not wait to get this engine broken in.

    Leave a comment:


  • ak-
    replied
    Oh right, remote tuning.

    Originally posted by BMW_TUNER
    I want to do a blanket for sure any recommendations?

    I am in Reno NV 4500ft up. Not sure about the adaption. I will be logging and tuning with Technica so we shall see what the base tune handles.
    I'm using this with success. Coolant temp lowered an average of ~5F* at idle and freeway runs @ +85F* temperature. I don't have a thermo gun, but I am able to touch the blanket and hood without burning myself and my wires are happy.
    Fits my .63 T3 easy, and comes with spring hooks so you cross-attach the ends under the CHRA.

    There are prettier options, but for the cost and function I'm happy.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Originally posted by ak-
    Nice and tidy! I recommend a blanket on the turbine - my temps noticeably dropped as soon as I added one. Maybe fab an aluminum beauty cover for your wires too?
    In my experience the compressor never got hot enough to bother my wires, but the turbine definitely started charring one before I caught it.

    I can't recall, but do you live in CO? I'd ask TRM about real-time barometric correction and how that works in their tune if you're high altitude. I know the MAF compensates this on stock NA engines, but I wonder if fuel trims are okay for the altitude that you're at in conjunction to the MAF doing it's job metering atmospheric pressure.
    I don't have it implemented in my map-based standalone so I have to cycle the ECU on and off for it to be corrected when I travel to the mountains from sea level where I live.
    Just a thought.

    I want to do a blanket for sure any recommendations?

    I am in Reno NV 4500ft up. Not sure about the adaption. I will be logging and tuning with Technica so we shall see what the base tune handles.

    Leave a comment:


  • ak-
    replied
    Nice and tidy! I recommend a blanket on the turbine - my temps noticeably dropped as soon as I added one. Maybe fab an aluminum beauty cover for your wires too?
    In my experience the compressor never got hot enough to bother my wires, but the turbine definitely started charring one before I caught it.

    I can't recall, but do you live in CO? I'd ask TRM about real-time barometric correction and how that works in their tune if you're high altitude. I know the MAF compensates this on stock NA engines, but I wonder if fuel trims are okay for the altitude that you're at in conjunction to the MAF doing it's job metering atmospheric pressure.
    I don't have it implemented in my map-based standalone so I have to cycle the ECU on and off for it to be corrected when I travel to the mountains from sea level where I live.
    Just a thought.
    Last edited by ak-; 08-15-2016, 01:48 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied


    Installed and running now I just need to figure out why the oil restrictor seems to be leaking.
    Built a custom 3 inch exhaust from down pipe to tail pipe.

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Well I cranked it for oil pressure with the fuel pump pulled. I built oil pressure and purged the turbo feed line. Then I popped the fuse back in and cranked it. If fired up immediately. Now I am working only down pipe and exhaust because it is loud. Here are some pics.

    Leave a comment:


  • RobertK
    replied
    Originally posted by BMW_TUNER
    Seriously. I started off with "well I will just deck the block then put it back together". HAHAH. Now its

    Deck Block/Clean Block repaint
    Deck Head/wash Head
    Torque Plate Hone to 86.5mm - This one was a huge learning experience for me. The engine builder explained that when the S and M blocks are TQ plated with studs some of the cylinder walls bulge a couple of thousandths out and thus impact ring sealing and longevity.
    Spin polish check Crank and check for Tolerances.

    Purchase JE 9:1 Pistons 86.5mm
    Purchase K1 Rods- recommended as superior over the Eagle (his word not mine)
    Pricing was actually pretty good on the Rods and pistons.

    Purchase new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate - Grip Force Stage 3 (know a few people who have had good experiences with the Grip Force Stuff)

    Take whole rotating assembly back to engine shop to have it rebalanced as many many grams will be coming off of the assembly.

    Then reassemble and spin to 7400rpm
    ^Good choice..

    From that first pic I was going to suggest a re-hone and check the bores. It looks like the walls have seen some piston slap and its worn out the honing in those areas.

    Leave a comment:


  • Northern
    replied
    Same muffler I'm running. Also have one of their ultraquiet resonators halfway up the car, no cat. It was loud enough that I wished I had put an actual muffler(thinking borla proXS) there instead of the resonator, but maybe the turbo will quiet it down.

    Nice quality piece though, and when you're on the throttle it sounds great

    Also thinking about what spark plugs... I was running NGK BKR6E while NA, but I've heard 1-2 steps colder is what I should get, so BKR7E or BKR8E, so I'll have to make a decision soon.
    Last edited by Northern; 07-23-2016, 10:01 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    Ordered my Techinica Tune today!
    Got my restrictor inline yesterday for the turbo Coolant lines from Railroad will be here noonday then I can finalize the intake manifold install and configure the MAF and BOV locations.
    Ordered my Muffler as well so that when the car is drivable I can drop it off at the muffler shop and have the 3 inch exhaust built.

    Vibrant Performance is the Source for Professional Fabrication Components with a vast offering of exhaust, fluid delivery, tubing, and silicone parts for custom or modified forced induction applications.


    Hoping to get it fired soon.

    Any recommendations of Spark Plugs?

    Leave a comment:


  • BMW_TUNER
    replied
    So I got the engine in.


    Then I test fitted all the intercool parts and trimmed everything to make it look as factory as possible.


    and then my turbo arrived

    GT3582R with .82 housing, I am still up in the air about the tune but I did pickup a TIAL MVR WG and a TIAL BOV.


    Then I set about fitting and clocking everything. I need to weld a 90 degree elbow onto the turbo outlet to get it kicked out from the header a bit. i will Also need to stick with a 3 inch downpipe to hit the MVR just right with about 1 inch of 1.25 exhaust tubing between them.





    Now I need to finalize tuning looking at four NickG if I can get one of his off the shelf tunes that is my first choice, TRM, Technica and RKtuning.

    Leave a comment:

Working...