260 Transmission Brace - production begins

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • bar73k
    replied
    What is the part number for the e21 transmission mounts you are using?

    or what model are they from?

    Leave a comment:


  • browntown
    replied
    fair enough, I should mention that I have NOT done this swap yet; but I was under the impression that the shifter would move with the transmission and be a non-annoying 10 degrees off. I figured the back of the shifter housing is a peg, and would accomadate the lateral rotation and just put the stick a lil off. I don't really know what I'm talking about though and this is purely red wine induced conjecture. /guess at problem
    Last edited by browntown; 04-05-2007, 08:15 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Beej '86 325es
    replied
    Originally posted by browntown
    Bending the rod is easy compared to welding up a bracket.
    Bending the rod isn't an issue. But doesn't the rod need to be cut and rewelded to accomodate the 10 degree rotation?

    Leave a comment:


  • browntown
    replied
    Originally posted by Beej '86 325es
    Nice. You should look into modifying the selector rod for people as well. These two mods go hand-in-hand...
    Bending the rod is easy compared to welding up a bracket.

    Leave a comment:


  • Beej '86 325es
    replied
    Originally posted by dougsic
    Good question.

    I'm sure the support can be made just as easily to work any specific mount but I've been working to fill orders for the e21 mounts since I already have a template for that application.

    I did buy stock e30 mounts though last weekend but haven't had the time, or a core, to do the homework.

    When I finish filling the existing orders, I will make a prototype using stock e30 mounts and post the results.

    Thanks again for your interest and I'll keep you informed.

    Douglas Rigney
    Nice. You should look into modifying the selector rod for people as well. These two mods go hand-in-hand...

    Leave a comment:


  • e30tom
    replied
    Very nice work. Count me in for one.

    Leave a comment:


  • Drew325is
    replied
    Glad to see production is still going strong...don't forget me Doug :D!

    Leave a comment:


  • Lobstrosity
    replied
    Originally posted by trent
    haha you guys are great, and i told you how to do it with stock mounts :P
    Yup, I used the other mount you recommended along with the e21 mount, and my transmission mount fit in perfectly without having to be forced into place, and with no sketchy looking pressures on the mounts.

    Not to draw away from a quality piece of fabrication you have going on, just want others to know it's not necessary.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30pq
    replied
    I received my transmission brace today.

    Doug did a great job on my brace. I don't really have all the tools to fabricate so having Doug build this brace really saved me some time.

    It fit really well. I used the E21 transmission mounts.

    I recommend using Doug's mount if you are pressed for time or if you don't have the fabrication tools.

    Doug -- I will send you a picture of the installed brace tomorrow if you want to post it.

    Thanks
    Paul Q

    Leave a comment:


  • dougsic
    replied
    Originally posted by streetknight
    hey i am making mi own and would like to know how much taller is the side thats lifted, i already did the lower side but the upper or pass. side i was not sure of.
    On the passenger side, we section a 1/4" wedge out of the support which not only lowers it, but makes it "flatter" to correct the angle. Then I Tig weld it back together from underneath.

    On the high side, I cut the top off.

    I've seen supports made by others that have a piece of flat bar welded on each side and a washer welded on top. That is probably all you need to do and it will probably be fine. But we take a piece of 1/8" sheet metal and bend it around so that the top surface is supported on both sides and the back.

    Instead of a washer, we cut another piece that resembles a tongue. We bend it down in the front - kinda like a ski slope - so that it also supports the top surface. This way, the top surface that the transmission mount sits on is supported on all sides from underneath instead of just on two sides. And it's done with only two pieces of metal instead of three.

    We've been discussing how much this is ridiculous overkill but that's what I wanted on my car so I figure everyone else would too.

    Leave a comment:


  • dougsic
    replied
    Originally posted by Beej '86 325es
    Any update on whether E30 mounts can be used?
    Good question.

    I'm sure the support can be made just as easily to work any specific mount but I've been working to fill orders for the e21 mounts since I already have a template for that application.

    I did buy stock e30 mounts though last weekend but haven't had the time, or a core, to do the homework.

    When I finish filling the existing orders, I will make a prototype using stock e30 mounts and post the results.

    Thanks again for your interest and I'll keep you informed.

    Douglas Rigney

    Leave a comment:


  • Beej '86 325es
    replied
    Any update on whether E30 mounts can be used?

    Leave a comment:


  • FredK
    replied
    Haha yeah, I'm sure there are more industrial units out there!

    It's just that when you go shopping for bandsaws for home use, you lust for something as beefy, but quickly learn the limitations of budget, electrical service, and size.

    Leave a comment:


  • matt
    replied
    Couldn't cut an engine block with that thing. Not enough clearance.

    We have one at school that's big enough for that. It's the size of a civic, hydraulic powered, has its own cutting fluid pump... I should find a pic.

    Leave a comment:


  • FredK
    replied
    :bow:

    That's one well equipped shop! The bandsaw looks like it was built for combat, with a heavy cast iron top and general beefiness all over the place. Heck you could probably cut through an engine block just for kicks. :)

    You use MIG and TIG on the brace? I like the engine stand, looks homebrewed!

    Leave a comment:

Working...