Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clear the codes. i cannot remember the free way to do it (which is kinda risky) but you might want a code reset tool anyway.

if you were local i would come with the diagnostic computer my friend has.

Comment

On an OBD1 car all you need to do is leave the battery disconnected for a length of time. You only need a tool for OBD2 cars.
      VANOS FOR LIFE MAING

Comment

If you tell me what year/model the engine is from, and what pins you have hooked to which in the big round plug, and I'll tell you why it won't start.

Cheers,

Ian.

Comment

It's a '94 from a 325is
          I followed the AKG chart EXACTLY. I even went over it about a dozen times re-tracing the wires. That's why I'm suspecting the DME.
          VANOS FOR LIFE MAING

Comment

Okay, the fuel pump problem is easy. AKG have got the pins wrong on their chart.

They have got E30 pin 6 going to E36 pin 13. You should have E30 pin 13 going to E36 pin 13.

E36 pin 13 is a 12v signal coming from the E36 fuel pump relay. This passes through pin 13, and needs to go to E30 fuse 11, and then off down to the pump.

AKG have got a 12v signal coming from the E36 fuel pump relay and connecting to E30 pin 6. This is a 12v signal from fuse 9 that would normally drive the O2 sensor relay. They basically have 12v connecting to 12v coming the other way.

I also noticed they don't have any connection for the Rev counter. You need to have E30 pin 9 connected to E36 pin 20.

You also need to connect E30 pin 14 to E36 pin 14. This is the road speed signal into the DME. Without this signal, you will not reach maximum RPM.

If you want the Unloader relay circuit to operate correctly, you also need to connect E30 pin 15 to E36 pin 15.

Unfortunately, I can't see any of the above connections stopping it from firing (assuming you give the fuel pump some power).

It's got to be worth connecting as above, and have another go though.

Ian.

Comment

i gotta 506 10/94 silver label dme is that good or bad? where can i get the ews chip for it? or anyone selling a 413 red label?

Comment

506 should be good. Its 1995 when they added EWS.
                Im now E30less.
                sigpic

Comment

The 506 DME is actually the only real M-Specific DME that didnt' come with EWS for the '95 model year M3. The 413 DME had been used on all the previous 6 cylinder e36s from '92-'95. Anyway, the 506 is the best choice for a DME if you're doing a S50 3.0 or 3.2. Yes, you can now get a custom chip that disables EWS, but it's only available from Conforti through Turner I believe. Yea, there are the previous 413 DME's that are non-EWS from the '92-'95 non-M e36, but I'm all about doing it the right way, how it was intended, or not doing it at all. Just my opinion though.

P.S. I got my Conforti Chip for my OBDI 3.2 with euro HFM and 24lb injectors in the mail today along with a handful of other stuff. Basically I have everything now except my oil pan. I haven't posted about it here, but I'll post the details and numbers when it's all done. I'm expecting atleast 240 to the wheels and I'm way under budget :D

332iS R.I.P.

Comment

I notice that everyone seems to get chips that disable the EWS. Would it be of any use if I did a diagram of how to hook up the EWS. It only actually needs about 5 wires to get it running.

You would still need the matching DME, EWS unit and keys, but if you have these parts (and you also really need the connector for the EWS unit & for the small transmit/receive unit that the EWS antenna plugs into) it's not hard at all.

It may open up the possible options of donor engine.

Ian.

Comment

Most of the major chipmakers have EWS disabling chip. After talking to Alan for a bit he said it was a simple matter of not programming EWS into the replacement chip, its easier for them to make. Adding EWS means you have just more stuff to fail. It would be an added security measure.
                      Im now E30less.
                      sigpic

Comment

so just to be clear the 506 silver label ecu needs a chip that disable ews right? dam its another $349 at turner that sucks. i finally got my oil pan after 3 weeks brake booster is coming today i need about 2 or 3 things from the dealer so by this tuesday ill have it running hopefully well i know im gonna mess up on the wiring so lets say friday lol. I found S/C kit for 2000 but i think im gonna have to wait on it i dont want to be in debt.

Comment

506 DMEs do NOT have EWS.

Second, my conforti chip from turner for my OBDI 3.2 with euro HFM and 24# injector upgrades was only $249..what chip are you getting? Are you doing the schrick cams upgrade too?

332iS R.I.P.

Comment

i was looking on turner site and the e36 to e30 chip deabling ews is 349 my motors all stock

Comment

Call Alan or something,. that doesnt seem right. Mine was only 250 too. Make sure they know you only need the chip and not that injector thing.

I didnt buy mine through the website, I just told him my CC and he processed the order for me.
                              Im now E30less.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bmwe3
                                i was looking on turner site and the e36 to e30 chip deabling ews is 349 my motors all stock
                                Again, I guess another benefit of the 506 DME, don't have to pay an extra $100 to disable EWS. You can use standard e36 m3 chips of custom upgraded ones.

332iS R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                                X