Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The HFM does not need to be at 10 o'clock. I couldn't figure out how changing the position would matter so I called Pete McHenry and asked him. He told me it doesn't matter and he places his at different positions. Take it as you will.. Oh and I also checked my mom's M Roadster today and hers is at 3 or so...

Beau
    1988 BMW 325iS

Comment

Dunno but I may give cleaning it a shot. I wonder what to do with the HFM?
      Im now E30less.
      sigpic

Comment

yeah I have heard that it makes a difference but that is just butt dyno i guess. It could be in your head. would be interested to see it dyno'd. Im sure when I am done when my swap I can dyno it for free, so I will give it a shot. But I dont know when I will even start the swap. I just started buying things, but I guess I will start this project in march.
        2007 Honda Civic Si
        looking for another e30

Comment

Originally posted by sentrase00
          yeah I have heard that it makes a difference but that is just butt dyno i guess. It could be in your head. would be interested to see it dyno'd. Im sure when I am done when my swap I can dyno it for free, so I will give it a shot. But I dont know when I will even start the swap. I just started buying things, but I guess I will start this project in march.
          Well, the guy who started the thread I posted is claiming that he had it dyno'ed and that it made quite a large difference. There is definitely a lot of speculation on the subject, but its an easy enough thing to mess around with that its worth a shot.
          '91 318is
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Beau B
            The HFM does not need to be at 10 o'clock. I couldn't figure out how changing the position would matter so I called Pete McHenry and asked him. He told me it doesn't matter and he places his at different positions. Take it as you will.. Oh and I also checked my mom's M Roadster today and hers is at 3 or so...

Beau
            Just food for thought: The Mroadster has the obd2 3" HFM if it's stock. All stock 3" E36 HFM locations seem to be 3 o'clock. BUT, I'm specifically talking about the Euro 3.5" (or it's substitute, the 540) HFM. Look at a 540 engine bay (ebay is good) and you'll notice that the HFM is at 10 o'clock. I don't want to pass misinformation, but I think the euro E36 HFM is also at 10 o'clock. Soooo, it just may be that the euro (and 540) HFM may be designed to work @10.

I tried 10 again today, and it seems to loose some bottom end pull (to the 3), but it pulls to 7200 with more power. I swear it does!!

Ed ( gonna stick w/ 10 for a few days and see if the DME adjusts to it better)
            1988 E30/S50...now with S52; Track
            1994 Miata R; ES Solo2
            1998 Lexus LX470; Wife (Slee'd anyway)
            2002 BMW 530i; A+ Commuter
            2002 BMW 325iT; Sport/Premium 5-speed
            2011 21' EconoTrailer

Comment

Originally posted by ed94r
              Originally posted by Beau B

Beau
              Just food for thought: The Mroadster has the obd2 3" HFM if it's stock. All stock 3" E36 HFM locations seem to be 3 o'clock. BUT, I'm specifically talking about the Euro 3.5" (or it's substitute, the 540) HFM. Look at a 540 engine bay (ebay is good) and you'll notice that the HFM is at 10 o'clock. I don't want to pass misinformation, but I think the euro E36 HFM is also at 10 o'clock. Soooo, it just may be that the euro (and 540) HFM may be designed to work @10.

I tried 10 again today, and it seems to loose some bottom end pull (to the 3), but it pulls to 7200 with more power. I swear it does!!

Ed ( gonna stick w/ 10 for a few days and see if the DME adjusts to it better)
              Sorry I did not realize you were talking specifically about the 540 hfm. I dunno, I guess I just do not undestand how it makes a difference. I mean either way the filament, is still centered in the aiflow. I guess one way to see is to look up the 540 in BMW's service manual, and if it needs to be at a specific location it would say there. :?:

Beau
              1988 BMW 325iS

Comment

This is speculation on my part, but it is my belief that the positioning matters on the hot film MAF, I think the hot-wire MAFs could care less.

This is an interesting tangent...
                Joe Funk -- Portland Oregon
                That Guy.
                03 X5. 3 liter obviously.

Comment

Does a '90 325 have a C104? Anyone have a picture?
                  VANOS FOR LIFE MAING

Comment

okay, so i wired the fuel pump directly to the battery to see if it works... it does... I then re-attached all of the hoses and everything and primed the line. I attached the supply to the silver and the black to the return. I tried to start my car with the pump running and still no go. I'd imagine the next step would be spark, but my book is a piecer and it doesnt even say what the socket size is that I should use for the plug. How would I check to make sure the injectors are working properly?

Any other ideas as to why she wont start?

Thanks,
                    Addis

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
                    On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
                    BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

m50s are smart, if you aren't getting any spark, then they won't supply power to get gas. If you directly gave fuel then you likely have a spark problem. Have you checked the crank position sensor? That would be a very vague start. I'd also recommend consulting your local mechanic, we don't bite

Comment

Originally posted by Addissimo
                        okay, so i wired the fuel pump directly to the battery to see if it works... it does... I then re-attached all of the hoses and everything and primed the line. I attached the supply to the silver and the black to the return. I tried to start my car with the pump running and still no go. I'd imagine the next step would be spark, but my book is a piecer and it doesnt even say what the socket size is that I should use for the plug. How would I check to make sure the injectors are working properly?

Any other ideas as to why she wont start?

Thanks,
                        Addis
                        Check to make sure you're getting power at your DME and that your main relays (group of 3) are turning on. Do your power windows/sunroof work? I had the same problem in the begining. I forgot to hook up the small green wire that splices in with the large green wire just before the engine plug.
                        VANOS FOR LIFE MAING

Comment

Vanos & Non-Vanos Interchangeability

Can't find this in any archives. Will a non-vanos head work on a single vanos 98 aluminum 2.8 block?

Comment

in short, yes

Comment

Okay, so my windows dont work, and I'm not getting power to my ECU... at least i dont think. I took a multimeter and grounded it to the car, then tested each lead on the ecu connector. I got a few weak ohm readings, but no voltage readings. What green wire are you talking about? Is it engine side or chasis side? I remember there being a couple green wires coming from one of the pins on the e30 wiring harness, i just spliced them together on the same wire on the e36 side.

Bryson-
                              I dont know exactly what you want me to do with the crank position sensor. It looks like its in the right spot, if i cant figure it out with the wiring harness, should I take the intake manifold off and follow the wire to where it connects? While i'm doing that I guess i could/should inspect the knock sensors too...

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
                              On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
                              BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

For your windows, check the wires on your starter...when I had my 2.7i done a wire came loose and the windows and some other stuff didn't work.

Comment

Working...
                                X