Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can someone answer the question above about the temp sensors?
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Coolant Temp Sensors:

On your E36, one sensor is for DME and the other is for gauge cluster. You have to replace the sensor which feeds signal to the E30 gauge cluster so it will read correctly. The E36 one reads a vastly different resistance for a given temp.

1. E36 DME, E36 coolant temp sensor.
      2. E30 gauge cluster, E30 coolant temp sensor. Just thread it into the spot where the old E36 coolant temp sensor for gauge cluster was. See your wiring documentation to make sense of which wires do what, but it should be in the harness already and you don't have to do anything.

Comment

So I need one more coolant temp sensor (E36/E34) to go to the DME and I can use the one I currently have (M20, blue with 2 pins) and just have to wire that to go to the cluster.
        Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

Leave the one for the DME alone and re use your old m20 one for the cluster.
          For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
          Originally posted by mbonanni
          I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
            Leave the one for the DME alone and re use your old m20 one for the cluster.
            mine doesnt have any sensors, so Ill need to buy the E36/ E34 one
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

I was going over what I've done so far and this bracket looks bent to me. Can anyone chime in? Anyone have a part number?

BUILDTHREAD
              WTB LIST

Comment

I believe that has to come off for (some?) E34 pans to fit.
                Originally posted by kronus
                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                  I believe that has to come off for (some?) E34 pans to fit.
                  Seconded, iirc the e34 pan won't fit with that on anyways.
                  '86 325es M50

Comment

Originally posted by jclar View Post
                    Seconded, iirc the e34 pan won't fit with that on anyways.
                    ^^ true . if you remove the bracket vs. cutting off the vertical leg , you need 2 new main cap bolts. they are TTY
                    My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate the help.
                      BUILDTHREAD
                      WTB LIST

Comment

Dunno if its been mentioned, but a coding plug from a e28 535i works. the housing dosent fit in the e30 cluster tho, gotta take the chip out of the e28 plug.

318is, m50tu g240 s3.46

Comment

where do the intake temp sensors connect? according to the diagrams Ive found, there is two? does one plug into the head next to the coolant temp sensor?? its roughly the same location
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Quick question, how many pins should I need to repin the c101?

Feedback!
                            Custom Cup Holder Consoles!
                            Calypso Story--S50/Shaved and Tucked Bay

Comment

Originally posted by Steven View Post
                              Quick question, how many pins should I need to repin the c101?
                              Depends on if you're keeping all chassis functionality(I've removed some circuits on cars being prepped for track use since the OE idiot lights are not useful if you have no stock cluster.) and whether you're adding any circuits for ancillary gauges and such. IIRC you can do it with as few as 7 pins but all my customers/friends end up closer to 22 male and 3 female. I add an x20 to the e30 so I could have up to 25 male pins. If you reuse the c101 you should need no more than 20 male pins. Though you need to figure out how many of them need to be large vs small. Post below is from my build thread showing how I generally rewire them including PNs for the factory pins and the pin removal tool. ;)

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...1&postcount=55

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
                                Depends on if you're keeping all chassis functionality(I've removed some circuits on cars being prepped for track use since the OE idiot lights are not useful if you have no stock cluster.) and whether you're adding any circuits for ancillary gauges and such. IIRC you can do it with as few as 7 pins but all my customers/friends end up closer to 22 male and 3 female. I add an x20 to the e30 so I could have up to 25 male pins. If you reuse the c101 you should need no more than 20 male pins. Though you need to figure out how many of them need to be large vs small. Post below is from my build thread showing how I generally rewire them including PNs for the factory pins and the pin removal tool. ;)

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...1&postcount=55
                                Oh I saw your thread, I was really wondering hw many large and small pins I should order.... I should've been more specific. I'm not adding or taking out anything.

Feedback!
                                Custom Cup Holder Consoles!
                                Calypso Story--S50/Shaved and Tucked Bay

Comment

Working...
                                X