S54 advice and considerations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
    will check it out; but is a bit too difficult for me to use if I cannot find it easily!!!
    How do you trigger the additional map?

I'm guessing wire a switch of sorts to ALS pin or additional imput pin and have that be the trigger?

reference the comment I made about UK GUI..... lol
    Not at all as easy breezy as ecutek on a subaru or Cobb accessport.

Americans are spoiled by GUI such like apple provides.
    Yup that's it. You pretty turn off all the anti-lag parameters, and just use the maps. An aux output also activates when your on the second map.

The DTA GUI/documentation is extremely frustrating, I feel its a big limitation to an otherwise fairly capable standalone.

By the way, is anybody else having trouble having the cam tracking come up in the real time display?
    -Dave
    2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveSmed View Post
      Yup that's it. You pretty turn off all the anti-lag parameters, and just use the maps. An aux output also activates when your on the second map.

The DTA GUI/documentation is extremely frustrating, I feel its a big limitation to an otherwise fairly capable standalone.

By the way, is anybody else having trouble having the cam tracking come up in the real time display?

I did not have issues with cam tracking showing up, but that could be my imagination. lol

the GUI is MOST frustrating, I have dealt with Japanese standalones (apex'i Power FC) that had full instructions in japanese (which I DO NOT understand) and I had a better time using it than the DTA (after the menu was switched to english).

IMO Japanese nintendo style GUI (with foreign language instructions I didnt bother to read) is easier to understand and interface than UK GUI.

as far as the DTA unit is concerned, its actually quite pretty- solid billet. Connectors are very stout also and easy to use - although the directions from DTA make u want to wire it backwards than actually wanted.

mapping for Alpha N is pretty straightforward once starting to play w/
      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

damn..

I sorta feel bad for the guys who paid $2500 for an S52!
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have been VERY pleased with the DTA system. The real time tracking has been great with real time charting for road tuning. I have also heard VERY good results from the traction control system.

On a side note, my car is headed in a VERY different direction: drivetrain is coming out and will be sold.

30k mile s54 / dta s100 system (full drop out) for sale in october. Pm if interested.
          20k mile s50(us) / dta s100 system ( full drop out) for sale in october. Pm if interested.

cheers jason
          Last edited by Jason89i; 09-12-2011, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Had a go with the S54 race engine around Silverstone GP track (UK F1 track) and what can I say. Firstly it was in a race CSL E46 M3 chassis dry weight 1150kg with a 3.91 diff and running 386bhp with no vanos. Trust me wuth the different cams it was not noticable. We pushed a Porsche 996 GT2 Turbo, it barely pulled away in front, but even in the 46 chassis engine was good. With an adapter for wiring it should just fit straight into the car with different exhaust and uprated cooling system.

Problem will be needing a few bits custom made. I'm still in 2 minds whether I want a race engine in a road car though!!!

Originally posted by Deltron Dirty30
            Dean, has anyone told you that youre a spitting image of English singer-songwriter and musician, james blunt?

Comment

My thought entirely before I considered the S54. In the UK we have the S50 316bhp engine and if you discount the wiring harness and ECU the swap is similar money! As the S50 3.2 Evo engine is selling 2k and S54 2k-3k.

In the future we will see more E30/E36 engine swaps! As the S50/52 reserves dry up and more E46 M3's end up in yunk yards!

Dean, has anyone told you that youre a spitting image of English singer-songwriter and musician, james blunt?

Comment

Meanwhile in Norway
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                  Meanwhile in Norway
                  Norway is not that far from UK or Germany, you could buy a good motor an take it back in a van! My house in England to Norway is a 13 hour drive! I'd do it for an M3 engine :)

Comment

What do you guys think about 5 speed ZF vs 6 speed e46m3 Getrag?

Performance, reliability, durability, feel?

There are also some 6 speed ZF trans that would work such as the E86 one which was attached to an s54 stock. This one is also smaller than the e46m3 trans.
                    Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
                      What do you guys think about 5 speed ZF vs 6 speed e46m3 Getrag?

Performance, reliability, durability, feel?

There are also some 6 speed ZF trans that would work such as the E86 one which was attached to an s54 stock. This one is also smaller than the e46m3 trans.
                      By all accounts, the 5spd ZF is far stronger and sturdier than the 6spd Getrag. The 6spd has issues with weak synchros; the first five gears are the same between the transmissions.

Many E46 M3 racers are switching to the 5spd ZF from the 6spd because of durability concerns.....plus the 5spd is much lighter and cheaper.
                      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                        By all accounts, the 5spd ZF is far stronger and sturdier than the 6spd Getrag. The 6spd has issues with weak synchros; the first five gears are the same between the transmissions.

Many E46 M3 racers are switching to the 5spd ZF from the 6spd because of durability concerns.....plus the 5spd is much lighter and cheaper.
                        the 5 seems to do really well. weight difference is ~ 20 lbs or so between the 2 (from my own dead lifting "feel")

6mt likes to eat syncro 2/3, and Getrag does NOT sell replacement parts.

5mt zf you can rebuild, ZF supports it.

the 5mt ZF SG320 transmission actually weights a few pounds LESS than the 188mm Medium case E30 diff. lol

on track I dont see the need for an overdrive gear, unless you are just STUPID power........ a 2.35-2.65-2.79 final drive could be mated to the ZF non overdrive box to spool turbines with as well, Big power turbo cars like LOOOONG gearing :)
                        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

what ratios are people typically using with the ZF? 3.25? shorter?
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            what ratios are people typically using with the ZF? 3.25? shorter?
                            3.15 or 3.23 is pretty well matched to our local tracks, especially with the S54's flatter and wider powerband.

Other option is 3.73/3.91 or greater diff and only use 3-5 instead of 2-4...reason being 3-5 are closer matched ratios.

Personally I'm planning on leaving my 3.15 in the car, 110mph in 3rd would be awesome.
                            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                            95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

The E46 M3 racer I drove the other day had the 5 speed ZF running with a 3.91 ratio LSD! The gearbox was suited to this set up and it hit 120mph quicker than a GT3 RS 911. The problem will be that a 3.91 rear diff on the street will be a tad too high. I'm looking at using my ZF with the 3.23 LSD. I will report as and when I do the swap how it feels. What is the Z3M S54 rear diff ratio? I think they have the rear axle that will fit straight into the E30 so combined with the S54 that'll be a S54 E30M LoL!

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                                3.15 or 3.23 is pretty well matched to our local tracks, especially with the S54's flatter and wider powerband.

Other option is 3.73/3.91 or greater diff and only use 3-5 instead of 2-4...reason being 3-5 are closer matched ratios.

Personally I'm planning on leaving my 3.15 in the car, 110mph in 3rd would be awesome.
                                yeah, i guess, unless you want to drive it on the street.

I'm trying to do a 3.23.. we'll see if it works out. might be stuck with 3.38.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X