S54 advice and considerations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jean View Post
    So, are you guys saying removing vanos WILL result in less power uptop too? I thought it was low-end only?
    Depends on how you set your static cam timing. With factory static timing, removing VANOS generally loses low end.

I'm not sure what position the S54 VANOS will default to when disconnected.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
      to each his own-

I feel the Factory designed the E36 and E28 with 160-170mph speed ranges in mind. its easily within range of STOCK s38b35, and I'm sure a stock S50b32 can do it also.

The expressway system here was designed with high speeds in mind, there are quite a few sections where a pedestrian e39 or even e34/e32 can turn in to high speed esses and stay perfectly planted in its own lane at 140-150mph speed zone. Socal "freeways" are a different story. You would fly off the road at these speeds on some sections of I-405 etc...

e36M/28M feel pretty stable in 160-170's.
      Once again, I think you're missing the fundamentals. PUBLIC roads are NOT meant for you're stupid Wangan, wannabe Tokyo racing bullshit. I don't care how safe you think you can drive your car at those speeds. If you have to hit the brakes or make a quick maneuver at 150+ mph, you'll be killed, no question. If you take another person's life as a result, your family will deal with the consequences. Why the hell do you need to go so fast anyway?

What track has a long enough straight away for you to realistically hit those speeds? I'd understand if you had a time attack car that was making 500+whp/wtq, and you were testing ON A TRACK. But your s54, with even 350whp, wont reach 150+ on any straight away, at any track in CA. :roll:

I had respect for you before you started posting this top speed nonsense. If you want to race Wangan style, or hit some Wangan speeds, go move to Tokyo or Germany. :down:
      Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
        I don't know either but I'd like to know.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
          Here is an engine currently for sale within the UK which has been de-vanos'd

It is running 386bhp and here is the advert

Race cars for sale and race cars wanted, rally cars, spares, memorabilia, transporters and pit equipment for sale with on-line photos and spec sheets.

Looking at the car next week with the engine in advert

Originally posted by Deltron Dirty30
          Dean, has anyone told you that youre a spitting image of English singer-songwriter and musician, james blunt?

Comment

yeah, but that's a race engine. you don't neccesarily give up peak HP without vanos, but you definitely give up low end torque and idle quality.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Alex Lipowich's DTA plug and play kit is THE WAY to go if you're swapping an S54 into any OBDI car.

You DO NOT want to delete the VANOS, to swap the S54 and delete the VANOS makes the entire swap a pointless waste of money. The VANOS is what allows the engine to have a powerband.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
                Alex Lipowich's DTA plug and play kit is THE WAY to go if you're swapping an S54 into any OBDI car.

You DO NOT want to delete the VANOS, to swap the S54 and delete the VANOS makes the entire swap a pointless waste of money. The VANOS is what allows the engine to have a powerband.
                To say something like that ^ w/o any facts or dyno sheets isn't very accurate?

If vanos was so great FOR ALL CONDITIONS, you wouldn't see race teams who I am pretty sure can afford vanos BS to remove it.
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

what condition wouldn't it be good for? you can have optimum cam timing for every point of the engine's operation. that's huge!

I'd think race teams would remove it because they don't care about idle quality or torque levels at 3000rpm. it's just one more thing that needs tuned and maintained.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by e30polak View Post
                    Once again, I think you're missing the fundamentals. PUBLIC roads are NOT meant for you're stupid Wangan, wannabe Tokyo racing bullshit. I don't care how safe you think you can drive your car at those speeds. If you have to hit the brakes or make a quick maneuver at 150+ mph, you'll be killed, no question. If you take another person's life as a result, your family will deal with the consequences. Why the hell do you need to go so fast anyway?

What track has a long enough straight away for you to realistically hit those speeds? I'd understand if you had a time attack car that was making 500+whp/wtq, and you were testing ON A TRACK. But your s54, with even 350whp, wont reach 150+ on any straight away, at any track in CA. :roll:

I had respect for you before you started posting this top speed nonsense. If you want to race Wangan style, or hit some Wangan speeds, go move to Tokyo or Germany. :down:

Who is "racing"?? nobody is racing at crazy high speed. You drive those speeds simply because you enjoy doing it, no need to race on a public road, my slicks cost too much and are on the shelf for track days.

Who said I was looking for only 350rwhp in my s54? I am also building a full out hillclimb car for an S54. Private issue.

Public events like the silver state allow roadgoing cars to do V-max. Legally.

I am actually flying to Asia next week and will be doing some V-max.

lets quit the top end speed discussion; pointless.
                    Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-03-2011, 07:49 AM.
                    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Can we try not to drive this off topic? If you wish to discuss driving at triple digit speeds, start a new thread. Lets keep this as an S54 discussion.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post

Overly blanket statement. Vanos delete is not a bad idea for race teams that do not have the budget to maintain the vanos units and dyno tune to suit. The double vanos gearbox is also additional weight on the top of the cylinder head and very front facing, it also requires an additional oil pressure accumulator mounted on the side of engine. If very weight sensitive one may have preference to delete it, removal of the double vanos system arguably may alot more oil pressure distribution for the rest of the engine. The dual vanos unit also runs on a 4 solinoid system (4x the single vanos), has a higher output alternator spec'ed than standard non double vanos cars.

DTA standalone is not for NOOBS or people with out a professional tuner / means to hire one.

Stock ecu is always going to be "the way" if there is such a thing as "the way".

This having been said I did purchase a DTA from ABL for my own s54 project, very reputable vendor to work with.

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        Can we try not to drive this off topic? If you wish to discuss driving at triple digit speeds, start a new thread. Lets keep this as an S54 discussion.

That was original intent until our easily excited friend desired derailment

If one plays with vanos timing on standalone you can mimic deleted vanos, somebody with time and a dyno should pull the same car back to back with that intent and post the results.

Local guys in the German touring car series are using dual vanos settings to DECREASE RWHP because the classing is determined by power to weight. Locals with lightweight weapons are having s54's tuned to put down s52 rwhp numbers and have really flat torque bands. That would be one expensive and effective way to battle somebody (ON TRACK) with a tuned up S50/52 US.

a S54b32 tuned to match S52b32 US power in a e36M racing body will be able to create more torque across a broader power band and go higher RPM in each gear; allowing for the chassis to setup for very short gearing or longer gearing with less gears.

At least from my own observations stateside one E46M track car current trend is ZF 5 speed swap - yes, down grade from 6 speed Getrag to 5 speed ZF gearbox- to save weight.

This is real Local news from local guys I have talked to in person doing wheel to wheel battle on track. Many SF bay area people are serious about motorsports enough to purchase ex grand am cup chassis to run as privateers.

Imagine the advantage of s54 De-Tuned to s52 "rwhp" with an additional amount of s54 torque in the powerband. s54 car vs s52 car, both same RWHP but one has 1,000rpm extra rpm avail to use. Ferrari value logic of xx hp per/1,000 rpm additional extra at redline could possibly apply here. Obviously those with switchable mapping like STi/EVO's with cobb accessport etc may cheat.

For bay area locals Vic Sias tunes s54 on electromotive; vanos deleted, he races one locally.

REBELLO racing locally will also build and dyno tune s54 for you.
                        Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-03-2011, 07:58 AM.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

1) wtf is "Wangan" ?? This has been confusing me for a while.

2) This is why you want full double vanos: you have incredible control over the motor.

Related thread: Locked Vanos or Active Vanos for Club Racing

Originally posted by B.Watts
                          That said, we ran the S54 without VANOS for quite some time before strapping on the MOTEC and hooking the VANOS back up. When we switched, the only addition we made to the motor was a CF intake box, so we don't have a direct comparison, but I am a true believer in VANOS...even more so than when we made the switch to VANOS on the old S50B32. We made a similar change with our old S50B32, running it with and without VANOS, but also did some additional changes to the motor when the VANOS was added.

In both cases, there's no denying the benefits of the changed torque curve either on paper or in the way the car drove/felt on the track. It's like night and day...no comparison. I have a hard time believing a carbon intake box made the difference between Stickley absolutely walking us on the straights (as seen in vidoes I've posted in the past) and us being able to keep up with him out of the hole until the very top end where his additional hp comes into play. The shape of the torque curve and the area under the curve absolutely changed the way our car feels.

B Watts' car, S54 with VANOS enabled.
                          Originally posted by B.Watts
                          Green is the CM/GTS5 tune. Blue is a "rain" tune (that also includes some changes to the throttle pedal curve). Red is the GTS4 tune.
                          You DEFINITELY want VANOS active. Manipulating the VANOS maps allows for full electronic tuning/detuning as shown by Watts' dyno graph (FWIW, he runs MOTEC, but DTA can do the same), and is why Epic Motorsports tunes are far and away the best stock DME tune on the market.

I'll put it this way. VAC commonly swaps cammed S54s with vanos deleted because their favored standalone doesn't do vanos. General whp range: 320-330whp on 91/93 octane.

Bone stock (internally) S54s on BW/Epic Motorsports tune OR Alex L's standalone kit are putting out 315-330whp WITH VANOS enabled, ebay headers, and not terribly free flowing midsections/catbacks. Guys with 3" or 3.5" exhaust and Supersprint stepped headers are getting 340-360whp without cams, on 91/93 octane.

Want to take bets on which solution (VANOS vs non) has more torque everywhere and thus is a much faster car?

Only misinformed people or those on a severe budget delete VANOS on an S54 swap.
                          Last edited by Bimmerman325i; 09-05-2011, 09:15 AM.
                          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                          95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                            Only misinformed people or those on a severe budget delete VANOS on an S54 swap.
                            yes, budget is one of the biggest concerns in racing.

Racing = burning $$$$$.

IF a team has a chassis running with XYZ standalone already running a non-S54, kills a motor and replaces dead motor with S54 mid season....add up the time/expense to solve issues of harness, changing standalone (and possibly dyno tuning)- there you have it.

IF XYZ Race team is sponsored/supported/funded etc by XYZ standalone and XYZ dyno tuner/shop..... easy reasons why to delete vanos.

Vanos is a very nice technological advancement.
                            Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-05-2011, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                              ...I'll put it this way. VAC commonly swaps cammed S54s with vanos deleted because their favored standalone doesn't do vanos...

They tried their damnedest to sell me on that setup too (KMS+cams+Vanos delete) For the price involved, standalone vs. standalone, you would have to be nuts to pick the KMS from VAC over the DTA. It's a nice unit and all, but the DTA is much nicer, can run Vanos, traction+launch control, etc... All for similar coin. Add in the cost of cams and the Vanos delete....
                              -Dave
                              2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveSmed View Post
                                They tried their damnedest to sell me on that setup too (KMS+cams+Vanos delete) For the price involved, standalone vs. standalone, you would have to be nuts to pick the KMS from VAC over the DTA. It's a nice unit and all, but the DTA is much nicer, can run Vanos, traction+launch control, etc... All for similar coin. Add in the cost of cams and the Vanos delete....
                                You cannot blame VAC; they are selling a complete package they know to work 100% similar to Bimmerworld, ABL etc.

This is simple business for all parties: they are professionals providing solutions.

A Set of items/w/ matched procedure/solution becomes more than the sum of the products. Many VAC haters out there, that do still run VAC items. Many Bimmerworld haters, many people who do not understand the quirks of the DTA standalone like to hate on it or tout its greatness.

Out of couriosity, have you tuned the DTA personally? ...

You know it has no native knock sensors or Knock control right?

I had to remove ALL 3 of my OEM s54 knock sensors. knock output was useless to the DTA natively.

Adding knock control is Possible via aftermarket box yes, but not $0!!!!

Traction control could easily be done with existing dedicated systems such as Racelogic, IF the team was running one already I would see no reason to remove it and start a whole new mess of worms.

DTA Is not the easiest item to tune.....or setup.....or wire.....or fire the car up!!!!!!!!!!! the instructions are in UK english and confusing (I am an American as most on usa based sites are)

Link G4 can run full Double vanos with standard S54 maps built in; Full tuning support stateside by dyno shops as Link has tuning shops with dynos stateside.

So can other ecu's (pro efi ala HPF), Maximum PSI on the east coast is also hacking the Stock MSS54 DME for BOOST!

Reference the 90's till now history of Japanese tuning:

One very powerful, famous, well supported product -Just NOT in usa: the HKS F-CON.
                                Commonly used out of the usa, finding a good F-con tuner stateside will cost you BANK on tuning, and the setup will be 2X as difficult as a similar pnp setup device (Power FC).

The lower end Product (apex power FC) was much more popular as the items were plug and play with OEM maps and had factory OEM support on all mapping. HKS F-con has some but is not nearly as user friendly, thus the market went to APEX.

As far as HKS reputation; its unparalleled. So unparalleled that the american market cannot afford it and HKS USA is closing.

For one particular standalone to be leaps and bounds above another it needs support like AEM EMS. AEM stormed the market with full GUI AEM EMS and plug and play support/mapping for tons of applications. It will be interesting to see what happens with AEM gets into the double vanos tuning game....I would bet this will happen SOON.

AEM = Best tuning support in history so far IMO. Also, they are in CA and can prepare for poop 91 octane /smog games. Potential hands down Winner for west coast applications

One other issue of vanos delete that comes to mind:

if you are building the motor, you need the vanos setup tools. Some teams running on e36 engine budgets may not have an extra lump $,$$$ of money to buy the tool set for cam/Double vanos; I was fortunate enough to be able to tear down my S54 @ BMW. IF you delete the double vanos the setting tool obviously wont be needed.

These perhaps are moot issues, but possibly important for a race team.
                                Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-05-2011, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X