S54 Swap Muffler Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Staszek View Post

Dont forget I do have an X Pipe too its just not in that pic I put it in after.
    RIght but still a fairly simple system. DId you notice a difference in performance/noise with the X pipe added?
    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

It has definitely been demonstrated that moving the merge too close on the S54 results in a big loss of torque in the low to mid range. I'm not sure what the effect would be of removing it altogether. I just fabbed an H pipe in approximately the stock location.

Comment

Originally posted by R3VM3UP View Post
        It has definitely been demonstrated that moving the merge too close on the S54 results in a big loss of torque in the low to mid range. I'm not sure what the effect would be of removing it altogether. I just fabbed an H pipe in approximately the stock location.
        Yes if you move it took close you definitely lose TQ

Mine is in the back after the Cats in my pic, pretty much between where BMW put their H crossover and the resonator.

I didnt really even drive it before I put int he X pipe so I cant tell performance difference, but the car does pull extremely strong. I need to get my dyno done, but I can easily chirp tires during gear changes in 2-4. The car is quick. You saw that video and how it gained speed, I was even letting off at the end it has so much room.
        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Finally got my Borla muffler for this, I hope to make some good progress this weekend. Barring any unforeseen complications I hope to have some sound clips in the next week or so.

I have my doubts about whether it will be quiet enough for dude8383's preferences. The Borla muffler isn't really that large due to the oval shape, and it has an internal X in it which makes it pretty open. I do kinda wonder if it would fit in the tunnel where the h pipe is, would allow for two decent sized mufflers that way. I'll test fit this weekend to see.

Comment

Finally got my Borla muffler for this, I hope to make some good progress this weekend. Barring any unforeseen complications I hope to have some sound clips in the next week or so.

I have my doubts about whether it will be quiet enough for dude8383's preferences. The Borla muffler isn't really that large due to the oval shape, and it has an internal X in it which makes it pretty open. I do kinda wonder if it would fit in the tunnel where the h pipe is, would allow for two decent sized mufflers that way. I'll test fit this weekend to see.
            It may I tried to do that configuration with a magnaflow Xpipe muffler in the middle, but it wouldnt fit because I have the Cats, without the Cats I think you could squeeze that in there.

Comment

Well I checked last night and the Borla Pro XS definitely would fit great in the tunnel area and could probably be used to replace the x/h pipe. I almost wish I had gone this route but I'm not going to change things up now. It's probably a good option for a quieter exhaust but it would be tough to also fit cats in that area.

It's a fairly tight fit in the back due to the length but I think I'll be able to make it work.

Comment

the XR1's do a decent job, and last with the S54 heat.

Noted for muffler hangers, as on the E36 muffler box and hanger.

You want the hanger closer to the rear of the car so the exhaust can grow and not stress out the hanger.

Why not a Y pipe up front and then Single 3 inch muffler in the middle?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Those who want to keep cats, Is it worth just doing headers with cats in them? Gives your more options for a center muffler

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                  @Zakspeed_US

Comment

I highly doubt those headers w/ cats would fit.

Doing a Y pipe up front to a 3" the rest of the way back results in a loss of torque, less ground clearance at the rear subframe, and a system more prone to droning. For those reasons I opted to go with a dual system even though it's a lot more work.

Comment

Doing a Y pipe up front to a 3" the rest of the way back results in a loss of torque, less ground clearance at the rear subframe, and a system more prone to droning. For those reasons I opted to go with a dual system even though it's a lot more work.
                      x2 on this.

Even though I have a 3" y pipe at the subframe the clearance there is definitely crappy. I spoke with Scott at Stromung about whipping up a muffler for me so we'll see how that goes. It's going to be 19" in length and 5x9 suitcase style.
                      IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Exactly, that's why I wanted to keep it stock diameter's as well.

Comment

FWIW I have a borla pro xs in the tunnel area and an equivalent magnaflow muffler in the rear. I really should have used 2 borla's but the point is that it isn't loud at all (for aftermarket) idles nice and quiet, no drone really and it rips when you get on it. I love it and I'm to old for to tolerate noisy drony exhausts. Cheap and nice and light too.

My only complaint is that the borla's don't have a nice exhaust tip but a good shop should be able to make one or attach one I guess.
                          Euro S50 Daily Driver: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=279195

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_M View Post
                            FWIW I have a borla pro xs in the tunnel area and an equivalent magnaflow muffler in the rear. I really should have used 2 borla's but the point is that it isn't loud at all (for aftermarket) idles nice and quiet, no drone really and it rips when you get on it. I love it and I'm to old for to tolerate noisy drony exhausts. Cheap and nice and light too.

My only complaint is that the borla's don't have a nice exhaust tip but a good shop should be able to make one or attach one I guess.
                            Nice, is yours a dual or a larger single configuration?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_M View Post

Yea just change the tips, I cut the tips off the E36 exhaust, had to kick them to the side anyway to mount them due to making sure they lined up right when mounted with the Mtech bumper. Here is a pic of the bumper test fitted with the new tips on the E36 exhaust.

Comment

Nice, is yours a dual or a larger single configuration?
                                Single 3" the entire way
                                Euro S50 Daily Driver: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=279195

Comment

Working...
                                X