Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N52 -> Into Touring /// What have I done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N52 -> Into Touring /// What have I done?

Project Thread

Click image for larger version  Name:	1Bh8yro.jpg Views:	2 Size:	91.3 KB ID:	10076372

Following what others have done aka standing on the greatness of others to do a thing.

I'm thankful a local has done this swap, I hope to not annoy them too much with questions/help. My apologies in advance Luke.

A new concrete slab in the backyard is being poured in mere days, most of the work shall commence on that once that fully cures.

The car - an M40 powered E30 Touring. I knew it was only a matter of time but it's time for that to come out while our nice weather is here.

I'll try my best to document the process.

============================

Goals:

Trying to basically improve upon what I see as the perfect street E30, the m40 simply isn't enough for traffic here, and while it will never be a daily driver, I want actual passing power etc.

Paired with the 6 speed, looking to see what sort of MPGs and cruising can be achieved too. Car will retain AC and be an all-arounder.

I nicknamed the touring the GT aka GranTour(ing) so that's sort of the ethos or idea behind it, will it be achieved? No idea.

Parts List:

Will be updated with most prices down the line.

Timeline:

11.17.2022 --- Engine and Transmission Purchased. (meme format)
    11.17.2022 - TO - 11.27.2022 --- Many parts purchased. With more to purchase.
    11.27.2022 --- Engine / Trans / Exhaust / Driveshaft / Other stuff removed, first pass at cleaning engine bay. LINK TO POST

------ Stuff happened, but not much to show. More posts to show details later.
    05.17.2023 --- Progress, teasers. LINK TO POST

05.17.2023 --- Need a source for Wire Diagrams, maybe a way to trace wires from your Z4 harness? LINK TO POST
    05.17.2023 ---Header appreciation post. LINK TO POST
    05.26.2023 --- Headers back from ceramic coating LINK TO POST
    05.29.2023 --- C101 finally some progress LINK TO POST

05.29.2023 --- Oil Pan completed LINK TO POST
    06.17.2023 --- Oil Pan Installed LINK TO POST
    ??.??.???? ---​​​
    ​​??.??.???? ---
    ??.??.???? ---

??.??.???? ---
    ??.??.???? ---
    ??.??.???? ---
    ??.??.???? ---
    ??.??.???? ---

??.??.???? ---
    ??.??.???? ---
    ??.??.???? ---
    ??.??.???? ---
    ??.??.???? ---

??.??.???? ---
    ??.??.???? ---
    ??.??.???? ---
    ??.??.???? ---
    ??.??.???? ---

??.??.???? ---
    ??.??.???? ---
    ??.??.???? ---

============================​

Last edited by DEV0 E30; 02-21-2024, 12:06 PM.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

[ Saved for later. ]

Comment

[ Saved for later. ]

Comment

[ Saved for later. ]

Comment

subscribe
          cars beep boop

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Subbed.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	10074646
            Current Builds
            1989 S52 E30 Touring | The Grey Athletic Shoe
            1993 Toyota Landcruiser | The Trail Snail

Comment

What have I done?

You've taken the first steps into a bigger world...

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

You are doing the Lords work on his chariot!
                -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Love the Google Sheets! Do you also mind sharing the cost?

Comment

Originally posted by projectJTv4 View Post
                    Love the Google Sheets! Do you also mind sharing the cost?
                    I think you can hit $8-$12k+ easily depending on what you do.

Things add up really fast... I'll eventually share most of the costs but you can easily add up to way more than you think.

If you have welding skills you can save some but I'm outsourcing some stuff because I lack those skills or tools.

I'm also adding in a few things at the same time (new steering rack) and other things, so that will add to it.

Engine and transmission you can spend $500 each on, or way more. I used what I think is a pretty reputable seller.

I think I did pretty decent for the engine+tranny, they were just under $3k shipped to residential.

Considering what older S50/S52 cost these days, I think this will be one of the better swaps going forward, but you spend money in other areas that you save there.

It's the other costs that always add up for an engine swap. The engine and transmission are only one small part of the puzzle.
                    Last edited by DEV0 E30; 11-22-2022, 07:55 AM.

Comment

The other costs are the large part. I got an S52 for 'free' and a ZF trans for $600. I still needed about $5k to finished the swap with the engine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	S52_costs.png
Views:	665
Size:	450.2 KB
ID:	10075308

Comment

Easy part is done.

Takes me back to my high school days. This new slab will suffice for my needs.

The little wagon (1200 claimed load limit) I got from harbor freight worked to get the M40+trans back to the garage for safe keeping, great success.

Before the first degrease/pressure wash:

==========================================

Engine was sent to New York, by accident. Fedex messed up, but it will be here in another week or so.

Trans is here, along with the parts are showing up basically every day, but still have more stuff to order.

==========================================

Comment

I'd sub, but I'm basically living this, lol
                          1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                          You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Oh hey. Welcome back to the place that is basically asleep.

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                              Oh hey. Welcome back to the place that is basically asleep.
                              I come and go, but trying to make an effort to be more regular.
                              1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                              You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Working...
                              X