Six Speed Trans Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Six Speed Trans Options

I am just going to run the GS6-17 for my swap (I don't need huge power), but when looking to source one I'm seeing GS6-17DG, GS6-17BG and GS6-17FG

What's the difference? I'm not a native BMW speaker, but I'm taking courses, so be gentle. LOL

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
    I am just going to run the GS6-17 for my swap (I don't need huge power), but when looking to source one I'm seeing GS6-17DG, GS6-17BG and GS6-17FG

What's the difference? I'm not a native BMW speaker, but I'm taking courses, so be gentle. LOL
    The GS6-17FG was used by 2016-and-later 4-cylinder gasoline BMWs (F20, F21, F22, F30, etc.).
    The GS6-17DG was used by 2016-and-later 4-cylinder diesel BMWs (F20, F21, F22, F30, etc.).
    The GS6-17BG was used by E8x, E9x, E6x models up to 2013 that were equipped with the N52.

Comment

Perfect! You're the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Donkeyshins, so those gearboxes will bolt up ok to the n52? I'm new to this motor and am curious. Do any of them have a removable belhousing?

Reason being is I'm assessing some options for a build I want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Amitybozkins View Post
          Donkeyshins, so those gearboxes will bolt up ok to the n52? I'm new to this motor and am curious. Do any of them have a removable belhousing?

Reason being is I'm assessing some options for a build I want to do.
          My assumption is that the 17FG and 17DG probably won't bolt up to the N52 as they were designed for the N20 and B47 respectively (unless the bolt patterns are identical, but I have no idea).

Comment

Originally posted by Donkeyshins View Post

My assumption is that the 17FG and 17DG probably won't bolt up to the N52 as they were designed for the N20 and B47 respectively (unless the bolt patterns are identical, but I have no idea).
            This is correct. If you go on eBay and pull some up you can see the bellhousing shape is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post

This is correct. If you go on eBay and pull some up you can see the bellhousing shape is wrong.
              Nice to see that for once, my assumptions have paid off. ;)

Comment

I think it would be helpful to have more information. I was thinking about starting another thread with this info, but honestly until I can make more progress myself, I'm just here to provide the info I can.

On my wishlist is to make a large how to document this swap with potential options (as usual with way more info than necessary, but some may find it helpful.)

This project will require data from others, which will be some of the info below, but with specific data for each setup, and options if they exist.

================================​

There are probably ways to make other transmissions work (reading z4 forums about drilling etc) but I know the two below are in running and driving N52 swapped E30s.

Getrag GS6-17BG "Shortie" - This is what I have, and hoveringguy if I'm not mistaken. And the "long boy" as I've called it is in LukeJ's car.

================================

Getrag GS6-17BG "Shortie"

Part Number: 23007633986 --- Real OEM Part Cross Referencing List (Use caution, malware pop-ups are on this site these days) | Wikipedia Link not easily accessible.​
                • Where it is found: It's used in a variety of BMW models, including but not limited to the 325i, 328i (multiple generations, E90, F30) and E81, E60, and 525i. Along with the non "Si" 2006-2008 E85 E86 BMW Z4 3.0i.

What Driveshaft works? What parts? What center support bearing? Driveshaft lengths? Etc

?
                ?
                ?​

Differential Choices, suggestions, and speeds/rpms for each gear:

?
                ?
                ?​

​================================

Getrag GS6-37BZ-TJES "Long Boy"

Part Number: 23007565178 --- Real OEM Part Cross Referencing List (Use caution, malware pop-ups are on this site these days) |​ More info on Wikipedia
                • Where it is found: This is found in BMW Z4 E85/E86 (3.0si) in the US, in other countries this is found in BMW 1 E81/E87/E87 LCI (130i)

What Driveshaft works? What parts? What center support bearing? Driveshaft lengths? Etc

?
                ?
                ?

Differential Choices, suggestions, and speeds/rpms for each gear:
                ​​
                ?
                ?
                ?​

================================
                Last edited by DEV0 E30; 03-08-2024, 11:30 AM.
                Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

hi guys i have been looking for a manual transmission for my N52B30 and i found one ifon N53B30 E9x 330i with Orgianial number GS637BGTJET 23007565188 do you think if it will fit thanks for the help

Comment

what driveshaft do you need with the -17 trans? Can you use a regular e30 shaft?
                    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by AREE View Post
                      hi guys i have been looking for a manual transmission for my N52B30 and i found one ifon N53B30 E9x 330i with Orgianial number GS637BGTJET 23007565188 do you think if it will fit thanks for the help
                      That looks right. Just the “big boi” one. The easiest way to tell is the starter location. The extra bulge in the bellhousing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X