No announcement yet.

24V Swap Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my ix has had a m52 for while now. you’ll enjoy it!
    Build Thread
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
    Parts Thread
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Got the flywheel, and clutch parts bolted to the engine, and the rest of the hardware for the X5 guibo swap to push the splines further into the transfer case today and soft fit the headers onto the engine in the engine bay. They look like they should clear the control arm lolipops, but we'll see once the engine and transmission are bolted down.

Once the transmission is mated to the engine, I'm going to knock out a little debris shield model to be plasma cut to replace the lower bellhousing support that normally would bolt to the M20 and the G260. I'll provide the file to cut one once my friend gets it into a cad program for anyone else doing this swap in the future.

Comment

Always curious about gear sets on these builds. Has anyone found a way to get a taller gear set for the front differential.

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
          Always curious about gear sets on these builds. Has anyone found a way to get a taller gear set for the front differential.
          There is a rare 3.64 front diff that can I think be mated with a matching 3.64 rear out of another compatible BMW. Other than that, I feel like it's possible to gut a rear diff to use its contents in a front diff, but I've not done the research to confirm or not

Comment

I had a hell of a time pressing out the old transfer case carrier bushing. I ended up cutting out the old dry rotted rubber and then using a saw to cut through the metal carrier. Hammered in the new bushing with a little grease and got the transmission situated on some furniture dollies in the tunnel. Going to try to get it all mated Friday if I can and then work on mating the front steering and suspension bits before pulling the subframe up and into place

Comment

Nice progress!

Keep me in the loop about the local skidplate fab ideas/timelines. Since we last talked on instagram figured I'd keep that idea fresh.

If we could coordinate having multiple done at once for a few locals maybe we could get costs down for all of us.
              Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Transmission is mated and got the X5 giubo installed for better spline engagement at the transfer case. I need to have a lower dust shield made for the bell housing since the one from the IX won't fit with the S50, I'll provide a link to the cad file once I have it cut out on a friend's plasma table. Going to cross-post to the X5 giubo thread to see if I have the orientation correct on the giubo.

Comment

Wrapped headers for the first time and found out a few things. Although the titanium ones don't use fiberglass, wear gloves still and disregard what the dude in the video does lol I'm so itchy. Also do this not in the living room

Comment

Last day off from work for covid protocols, filled rear diff with fluid, re-attached the wrapped headers, re-installed power steering pump, started getting harness situated in the engine bay, and started figuring out the new brake master placement. Getting to those 4 bolts in the firewall has to be my least favorite part of this project so far.

Comment

The transmission and engine are in! I had to cut the $100 dollar ebay headers and still remove the back header to get it all to fit, so I'll need to get a header made or these modified to be able to work properly. Engine is a tight fit against the firewall, but I think I'll be able to fit my puller fan between the radiator and the front engine assembly. I'll be assembling the front end next and working on getting the power steering and brake/clutch fluid reservoirs situated, along with the harness

Comment

Taking care of a few clearance issues this week with the fan shroud hitting the AC tensioner and compressor. Need to trim the plate I had made for the lower bell housing to clear some oil pan bolts, and then install it with the weather stripping gaskets. Also getting some power steering lines made so I can use the chase bays reservoir that I have. The kit for 24v swapped E30 from them mounts the reservoir to the front of the engine mount brackets, and since I'm using the original IX mounts that bow forwards, there is no room. I'll post final measurements for the lines in addition to which fittings are needed.

In other news I was part of the big tech layoffs this week, so the project might slow down a little until I get another job

Comment

Threw on some urotuning pedals, not super sure how I feel about them, but we'll see when it drives. Also needed to further trim the shroud to make room for the AC compressor, will post the final setup once it's all mounted. I checked the hose kit I got from CAtuned and it looks like a bunch of them aren't going to work which is unfortunate. I'll post which hoses end up working once I have those connected, and PNs for the correct ones

Comment

Finished the lower bell housing plate and have it in place. I didn't need to grind down the surface by the front driveshaft giubo, theres 3-5mm between the bolt heads and the plate. I also got my high pressure hose made for the P/S pump to rack, and I'll just cut off and repurpose the ends from the chase bays kit for the supply and return lines. Total for the hoses came out to 80 bucks so that's nice. Went to the junkyard today too for some ICVs since they cost like 200 new, will clean them up and see how they work

Comment

Checked a bunch of clearance stuff yesterday. Had to trim some more around the shroud and fan to have the AC compressor fit, and even then the lower rad hose is very close to the compressor wheel. On the intake side, the intake boot fits but hits the old airbox bracket so I'm going to trim that down. Also checked position for brake/clutch and power steering reservoirs. I'm going to weld a portion of the bracket I got from classicdaily to my strut tower brace to mount the brake reservoir, and I'm going to make a clamping style bracket to fit onto the brace tubing for the PS reservoir. For the power steering hose, I just cut the crimps off of the supply/return lines that I had from chase and had a high pressure hose crimped. Due to the angle from the rack to the pump, I can't fit what I made, so I'll be getting a 45* banjo from the rack to a 90* fitting that'll be crimped onto the hose. I'll post pictures and part names/numbers once I have them

Comment

I've never taken a close look at the E30's AWD setup, I enjoyed looking at your pics.

Comment

Working...
                                X