3.1L turbo ix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
    I think it lasted about a year and a couple drag strip passes with like 700-800hp?
    Im running boost by gear so i was thinking maybe 4-500hp in 1st and 2nd and then more boost :) Should help front diff!

Specially the E53 diff should be able to take that beating stock? I mean the later diesel version got 500Nm stock and with Xdrive it can send 50% torque up front right?
    If used on a 37/63 setup and 5-600Nm torque in 1st gear it should be ok? Well se later on
    I've had two 4 gear diffs. First one seized in a burnout - later exploded to pieces. Second one has lasted ok. Problem is no longer the differential itself, but the pinion/crown wheel -> No point in trying to get the e30 diff take the beating.

I would put at least 525ix front diff. It is a lot stronger looking unit. E30 diff is "typ145" where 525ix unit is "typ165". Typ165 is used with max ~200nm cars from factory (rwd). 325ix front diff is designed to ~80nm (226nm x 0,37). E53 X5 unit is typ175 so should be very strong. Later e70? x5 diff is even larger.. There is also a space question to consider. There isn't that much room for front diff. Everything is in a way. :D But I know for a fact that 525ix unit does go there pretty easily.

Nisse: Good thinking. Xdrive can send 50% in theory. But 50% of what ? There's a clutch pack that can transfer some amount of torque. In stock form it's designed to handle max 500nm (e53 30d), so only 250nm to front. Clutch pack also softens the blow that front diff get's so I would strongly recommend xdrive transfercase.

Looking forward to Nisse järnet's 325ix. You're gonna kick everyone's ass in those gtboard etc events. :D

Comment

Originally posted by mw044 View Post
      I've had two 4 gear diffs. First one seized in a burnout - later exploded to pieces. Second one has lasted ok. Problem is no longer the differential itself, but the pinion/crown wheel -> No point in trying to get the e30 diff take the beating.

I would put at least 525ix front diff. It is a lot stronger looking unit. E30 diff is "typ145" where 525ix unit is "typ165". Typ165 is used with max ~200nm cars from factory (rwd). 325ix front diff is designed to ~80nm (226nm x 0,37). E53 X5 unit is typ175 so should be very strong. Later e70? x5 diff is even larger.. There is also a space question to consider. There isn't that much room for front diff. Everything is in a way. :D But I know for a fact that 525ix unit does go there pretty easily.

Nisse: Good thinking. Xdrive can send 50% in theory. But 50% of what ? There's a clutch pack that can transfer some amount of torque. In stock form it's designed to handle max 500nm (e53 30d), so only 250nm to front. Clutch pack also softens the blow that front diff get's so I would strongly recommend xdrive transfercase.

Looking forward to Nisse järnet's 325ix. You're gonna kick everyone's ass in those gtboard etc events. :D
      Oh hi, nice youre here! :)

Ah ok at what power level did it break? During drag strip or street?
      Did you do the custom 4 gear mod your self?

Yeah the best would be lika a X6M diff but then i guess you have to custom build the whole front end of the car :D
      I will try with all E34 parts first, and then hopefully X5 parts if the E34 keeps breaking or just for better diff ratio.

Yes maybe the clutch pack is more gentle to the front?

Haha i hope so! If the 525ix diff holds up it should be pretty fast :)
      E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
      E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
        I'd be happy if they were made of something a decent amount stronger. The oem ones may as well be made of brass.

Also, hasn't "the Finnish guy's" most recent 4 spider gear diff lasted more than a year now? I haven't checked the e30tech thread recently, but he at one point said it lasted a lot longer so far.
        What are you plans? Unless its a 500whp drag strip monster the stock diff is just fine.

If its behind an N/A M20 i wouldn't loose any sleep over it.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Goal is 300-400, and not have to waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswafflesfoot around launching the car. There's no point in having the power without being able to use it.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

On the xDrive the BMW claims on "dealer training" it can put all (100%) the power to the front, I argued this due to the construction which can not disable the rear axle. They responded that I was right, however it is able to do a full lock up and if the rear wheels don't have any traction it will put all the available torque to the front wheels, and not like the torsen only 3x the rear traction... So in theory the late E53 front diff should be designed to withstand all 500NM, but I don't think they are.. It's kind of a "in theory" situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
              Goal is 300-400, and not have to waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswafflesfoot around launching the car. There's no point in having the power without being able to use it.
              well I would look into adapting another front diff to the M20 pan. E53, or E46 would be obvious choices, much much beefier than the E30's diff. E46 diffs seem to be hard to find though..
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Bumping this thread. Any updates on the front diff?
                318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Working...
                X