X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    I want to know what happens if you put forged internals in a N52 and boost it to 800hp :)
    I might transfer my internals to a M54 block and head I have laying around in my garage..

Leave a comment:

• stonea
    replied
    Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
    S38!
    Unfortunately I think this might be out of my price range, lol.

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
    M54 is light :)
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    The M54 is definitely an easier swap, since it's so similar to the m50. N52 hasn't been done by anyone, and there are hurdles like the oil pan design & flywheel to deal with. Ix swaps are difficult enough. I'm sure we will see some M54s in the ix soon enough!
    The reason I chose the M54 for the ix swap (other than the fact I had one) was because it was light. Also with Andrew's harness adapter the swap is really easy. I love the m54 in the Z3 and think it would be even better in the e30, but I'm tempted to save my low milage M54 for a e46 touring and I've also developed a little crush on the M30 in the mean time.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    You could replace the 3.0 crank with a 2.5 or 2.8 and it should be good :)
    But the N52 is interesting, too bad no one put a lot of power in it yet.
    There's somebody who built a race version of one, with locked cams and standalone and a bunch of other stuff. It put out over 300hp IIRC and I think the redline was 8k. Personally, I wouldn't want to lock the cams - one of the draws is not needing a throttle. "upgrading" to ITBs doesn't make sense when you can just have a short runner intake and no throttle at all.

There's also a supercharger but it's quite expensive and has some limitations (no intercooler, not enough fuel, limited boost, etc). If you want boost, the N52 doesn't really make sense to me.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by King Mufasa View Post
    as stated yes its lighter.. and yes its lighter do to other factors. No its not built for high power its built as a cruiser. School, work, kids, events. Turbo version is a different story.. but heavier so pointless in terms of weight.
    so? it makes more HP than the S52, stock, and weighs significantly less. I wouldn't say an engine with a 7000rpm factory redline is a "cruiser" - for the vanilla flavored inline 6, it's actually one of the highest strung engines BMW has built. Even though it's torque curve is even wider than the M54.

if it seems like a cruiser, consider how long the gear ratios in modern BMWs have become, due to strict emissions and fuel economy requirements. I know lots of guys here wish they had a 2.0 final drive ratio and a 3 speed transmission, an being able to go 75mph in 2nd gear is nice, but it really hamstrings the engine. Especially in a modern 2 ton pig of a car that they have all been shoehorned into.

you cannot even bore it the cylinder are AluSil bores, why would you want to stress a such a unrepairable block? at 6k a piston in a gasoline engine is subjected to nearly 10 tons of force every 0.02 second as repeated explosions heat the metal to more than 600 degrees..
    Why would you need to bore out the block? and what's your point about forces at 6krpm? the stock redline is 7k. a typical margin of safety in engineering is 20% - I'm talking about less than a 10% bump, which I already know it can do without issue.

I like to see how these light weight reduced rods hold repeated abuse of a 8k rpm..
    They are modern cracked forged steel rods like those used in the S54. If my M20 can tag a 7500rpm redline with used 15 year old S52 rods and a random eta crank, I don't see why a factory built, modern designed engine can't do a little more.

..Valve tronic technology varies the valve lift rather than throttle opening thus the 7k rpm, know how to control this for you planed 7500-8krpm?
    If you knew how valvetronic worked, you wouldn't be asking that question. All it is doing is rotating a 3rd cam that varies the rocker ratio. RPM really has little to do with it. One issue could be the hydraulic lifters bleeding out, but those could be replaced with solid lifters & shims.

They had to use steels inlays at the bed plate or the crank would turn the entire bed plate to shit, as the magnesium bed plate would not hold up..

was their not a solution for this so called shaking to bits m54?
    Uh, that's the point. The bed plate design is significantly stiffer than the old 2-bolt main design (otherwise, it wouldn't rev out like it does). of course there are steel inlays to support the bearings - neither aluminum nor magnesium have the strength requirements that steel can provide. The caps on the M54 also have steel inlays (they might even be steel?). The point is, the bed plate design is a significant improvement, and the N52 block was designed from scratch to be aluminum/magnesium. the M54 was an iron block design changed to aluminum, which is why they have the issues with "high" RPM (er, 6400rpm).

You can get a crank damper for the M54 and do some stuff with the oil pump, but all that might do is get you close to the *stock* N52 redline. And without something done to the cams, you're not going to make much power above the stock redline anyway.

To me, the point of an N/A motor is the responsiveness and being able to wind it out. having the effective redline of a stock M20 doesn't do it for me.

Look, I'm not arguing that the only engine worth considering is the N52 - the M54 is pretty nice too, and it's good to see people moving on from the M50. But it's pretty clear that people don't understand the differences. I'm pretty sure the N52 is lighter than the M54 by more than 20lbs as well (as I said, there's way more to it than the exhaust manifolds, the entire thing was designed from the start to be light weight).

The M54 is definitely an easier swap, since it's so similar to the m50. N52 hasn't been done by anyone, and there are hurdles like the oil pan design & flywheel to deal with. Ix swaps are difficult enough. I'm sure we will see some M54s in the ix soon enough!

I don't think the N54 is that much heavier either - and even if it is, it definitely can make more power than the S54 while being considerably lighter. I'm just not interested in Turbos. :p
    Last edited by nando; 10-17-2015, 07:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    You could replace the 3.0 crank with a 2.5 or 2.8 and it should be good :)
    But the N52 is interesting, too bad no one put a lot of power in it yet.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
    Is that 700hp getting to your head...
    720awhp if I may, haha yes maybe :D

Leave a comment:

• 6A LDY
    replied
    Sorry if this has been answered before but what is the oil capacity of the frankpans vs stock and has anybody run any sort of secondary storage/overflow?

Leave a comment:

• King Mufasa
    replied
    as stated yes its lighter.. and yes its lighter do to other factors. No its not built for high power its built as a cruiser. School, work, kids, events. Turbo version is a different story.. but heavier so pointless in terms of weight.

you cannot even bore it the cylinder are AluSil bores, why would you want to stress a such a unrepairable block? at 6k a piston in a gasoline engine is subjected to nearly 10 tons of force every 0.02 second as repeated explosions heat the metal to more than 600 degrees..

I like to see how these light weight reduced rods hold repeated abuse of a 8k rpm..

..Valve tronic technology varies the valve lift rather than throttle opening thus the 7k rpm, know how to control this for you planed 7500-8krpm?

They had to use steels inlays at the bed plate or the crank would turn the entire bed plate to shit, as the magnesium bed plate would not hold up..

was their not a solution for this so called shaking to bits m54?

what is Nisse RPM set at?
    Last edited by King Mufasa; 10-16-2015, 12:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    N52 is lighter.. Theres way more to it than the manifold. Aluminum bolts, hollow cam, etc. And the bed plate design is much stiffer (n52 stock redline is 7,000; M54 will shake to bits at that speed). The M54 was origionally designed as an iron block (M50).

My goal is 7500-8000 rpm, ~280-300bhp and less weight than the m20.

Leave a comment:

• King Mufasa
    replied
    +1 and only 20lb lighter than E90 NXX and most of its reduce weight is from its exhaust manifold

Leave a comment:

• nomansland92
    replied
    Haha you can have it for free :D
    Is that 700hp getting to your head...

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Originally posted by NCTerp View Post
    Man that sounds great! I'm thinking you should record the audio from inside your car- just rip around for an hour or so. Then sell it me so I can pretend my ix is fast.
    Haha you can have it for free :D

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• litu
    replied
    Hhhmmm...Are those S38 little heavy, how about S14 or some 2-2.5 litre 4-cylinder Bmw engine, they are light

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    S38!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X