• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick_08 View Post
    325iX Inner ball joints - Lemfoerder PN L1054301
    325iX Outer ball joints - Lemfoerder PN L1054402
    I thought it was on this forum in more places, but maybe that was the E30Tech forum, which is currently (permanently?) down.

Leave a comment:

• Sebbe
    replied
    I dont think there is an OEM part nr for the ball joint, ive only found some aftermarket ones on ebay.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Originally posted by Sebbe View Post
    Yes, the E34 and E46 inner ball joint have the same part number, but the outer E46 ball joint is M12, and is the same as E36 and RWD E46.

Does anyone have a E30 control arm laying arund and could take some measurements of the cone? Bottom and top diameter and height. And also diameter of the housing.
    Ah, ok.

In that case, I'd peg the likelihood that BMW recycled the E30 AWD outer ball joints into the E34 as reasonably good, but I've never seen confirmation of it.

You have the PN's for the E30 AWD ball joints, right?

Leave a comment:

• Sebbe
    replied
    Yes, the E34 and E46 inner ball joint have the same part number, but the outer E46 ball joint is M12, and is the same as E36 and RWD E46.

Does anyone have a E30 control arm laying arund and could take some measurements of the cone? Bottom and top diameter and height. And also diameter of the housing.
    Last edited by Sebbe; 07-20-2016, 04:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    The RWD E34 ball joint is non-serviceable in the control arm. Basically, the control arm itself is the ball joint housing.

I don't know if BMW reused the E30 AWD outer ball joints in the E34 or reused the E34 AWD outer ball joints in the E46 or both... However, the E34's inners are very different than the E30 inners and look much more like the E46 inners.

Leave a comment:

• Sebbe
    replied
    There is no OEM replacement ball joints for either the E30 or E34, only the whole control arm, a couple of aftermarket companies sell ball joints for the E30, but not E34. E36 ball joints doesnt fit, they are M12, RWD E34 ball joints are M14 so they might fit, but i can only find complete control arms.

I dont think BMW made a special ball joint for the 8000 or so 525ix's they sold. So in guessing its either a 325ix ball joint or RWD E34.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    that's true, but remember, on newer cars BMW broke out individual part #s for less and less assemblies. A good example would be the differentials. You could (before it all went NLA) get every nut, bolt, washer and bearing individually for an E30 diff, but on a newer car, you can only order the entire diff. on the E34 ix, BMW didn't break down the transfercase, so the individual parts are not replaceable.

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    Does anyone know if the E30 outer ball joint will fit the E34? They look very similar and the locking nut is m14x1.5 on both cars. One of the outer ball joints on my 525ix is bad, and i really dont want to spend 300$ on a replacement control arm.
    lol. i think the best thing to do would be to consult realoem. if the part numbers match, the part fits. if not, you should probably just buy the part that fits. mmmm-kay?

more than likely, an e34 rwd or e36 ball joint would be more correct than an e30's.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by flyboyx; 07-20-2016, 07:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Does anyone know if the E30 outer ball joint will fit the E34? They look very similar and the locking nut is m14x1.5 on both cars. One of the outer ball joints on my 525ix is bad, and i really dont want to spend 300$ on a replacement control arm.
    Hmm i tried some parts between E34 and E30 but i dont remember everything...but i think the "cone" was different, or i just mixed that up with the tie rod ball joint :P

Leave a comment:

• Sebbe
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sebbe
    replied
    Thanks! After some gentle hammering it popped right off.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    No the outers just pulls of, but don't break anything :) On the inners you have to bend the locking thing around the whole CV. You will understand when you take the boot off.

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    the inner pulls off as i recall. it has those three little bearing wheels. i think i remember the outer having a circlip that goes the opposite way the e30's axle does?

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
    They just pull off
    Yep, thats right!

Leave a comment:

• nomansland92
    replied
    They just pull off

Leave a comment:

Working...