X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    0-62mph (0-100kmh) times with current power (~300hp) is pretty consistent 4.8-5s with a best of 4.6 :)

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Did 10 more 5500 rpm launches last night, visited a small local street race and had to try some runs :)
    https://youtu.be/IUAQTBc3Abg

https://youtu.be/dJmhnpAJuLw

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Like he said... knowing how BMW changed the RWD front end to allow for AWD can help me understand WHY they made specific change and what I have to track on my unit.

Also, it would be interesting to have a pseudo-bolt-in unit to convert a RWD car (like, say... an M3) to AWD.

Leave a comment:

• stonea
    replied
    Originally posted by iXguido View Post
    Looks like this thread is becoming an ix knowledge base in general. Some interesting stuff going on for sure, however.

What are your intentions with the rwd subframe?
    He just wanted to take some measurements and see what BMW did different, and if he can, maybe figure out why they made it different.

Leave a comment:

• iXguido
    replied
    Looks like this thread is becoming an ix knowledge base in general. Some interesting stuff going on for sure, however.

What are your intentions with the rwd subframe?

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Stonea lent me a RWD crossmember and control arm for research purposes. Here are some pics:

Crossmembers overlapped with the front mounting holes of the RWD unit lined up on the rear holes of the AWD unit:

You can see that the AWD cars have the rack something like SIX INCHES further forward than the RWD cars, which combined with the packaging constraints of the AWD knuckle results in the weird ackerman geometry in the AWD cars.

Adjacent ball joint bosses:

More Adjacent ball joint bosses:

Adjacent engine mount locations:

Ball joint "disassembled"

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    And a much heavier car.
    My dad snagged an e53 driveshaft... the splines are a bit bigger and aren't made on a 90 degree valley angle like the E30 splines are... but they only a little bit larger, so the loading on the splines is actually greater.

Trivia: E53's, even the 4.4's, use 188mm rear diffs and 86mm CV joints... so BMW expects the fraction of the 4.4's power that gets to the rear to be about what an M50 automatic belts out.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    they might have it worse though, since the motors in the E53 have significantly more torque while the spline design is basically the same.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    E53's have *EXACTLY* the same problem with front driveshaft splines as E30's.

Leave a comment:

• King Mufasa
    replied
    Looking through x5 transfer case's found this thread few years back..

I go to my local bmw used parts heaven/auto tech service in one all the time looking for parts and sometimes helping the guys out who sell me parts under the table from cheap to free ;) and
    I remember seeing a lot of x5 transfer cases in the office back and I ask the guy and he tells me a lot of people have been through here wanting to get rid of it. Not long after maybe 2 to 3 months I parked next to a guy there waiting for service, he was starring at my van filled with tools and ask me for a card convo started and to skip he tells me he brought his x5 in again because another shop told him problem is coming from transfer case.. :/ He brought it there because service is affordable

just saying tho

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/125...d-Class-Action
    Last edited by King Mufasa; 07-21-2015, 07:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
    I thought you were using the E34 diff.
    Seeking your 3.07? Can you snag me one? ;)
    Oh sorry, yes I'm using the E34 diff but I got a E53 3.07 in the garage :) Hoping I can do something with it in the future..

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Originally posted by stonea View Post
    I talked to the guys on a X5 forum and they told me it was only 3.64 and 4.10.
    3.64 & 4.10 *ARE* the only ratios... in the US market.
    Actually, that's not even true, as the 4.6is had a 3.91 per RealOEM and Hollinger Interchange

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
    The E53 uses a open tc just like E46. (But with a chain instead of gears)

I think the E53 3,07 only applies to 3.0d manual, that's where mine came from atleast :)
    I thought you were using the E34 diff.
    Selling your 3.07? Can you snag me one? ;)
    Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 07-21-2015, 03:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Yeah, its probably good for the street and strip but not on the circuit or in the winter... :P

I really want to try gs6-37 or 53 6 speed with the atc300 tc!

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    that's too bad.

E30 or E34 TC makes more sense then.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X