X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by King Mufasa View Post
    M3 maybe.. when looking to buy a strut bar they all show all e30 models except m3/ix. I still cant find one for an IX..
    weichers sport... it's been around for ages. I think Bavauto sells it with their branding on it.

M3 bars will not fit. the only reason they might have a "different" bar is because of the engine, the basic chassis of the E30 M3 is identical to the standard E30.
    Last edited by nando; 07-20-2015, 04:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Also, I have no clue about the ring gear bolt torque procedure, or where to get the bolts. That difficulty can probably be fudged though.

I have an E46 3.23 front diff on the shelf.
    3.64 is a decent ratio for use with the Getrag 260, which can work with the 24V engines with the right front case.

Leave a comment:

• stonea
    replied
    Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
    I *THINK* you can put the gears from an E46 into an E53, but you have to use the E53 carrier, as it is a different width across the carrier bearings than the E46.

The bearings will be some sort of standard parts, but good luck finding shims to do the setup, or a crush sleeve, as BMW never published service information for the front diffs.

A Quaife for a Z3 4 cylinder supposedly fits the X5 front as well... although you have to take the Quaife apart, flip all the gears and put it back together to make it work correctly turning the "opposite" direction.
    Well at least that gives me some hope, lol. I found a cheap 3.64 ratio diff that I think I'll pick up and hopefully I can find a 325ix being parted out or in a junkyard. I really like the idea of the Quaife in the front, hopefully that pans out. Once I start collecting parts let me know if you want to borrow them for measurements or mock-up. The E30 is my daily so the parts are just gonna be siting around collecting dust until the time comes to park it and swap it.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Originally posted by stonea View Post
    Since the thread was brought back up, does anyone know if you could transplant e46 front diff insides to an e53 x5? I really want to use the e53 x5 oil pan since I'm basically using a M54, but I'm not 100% happy about the 3.64 ratio.
    I *THINK* you can put the gears from an E46 into an E53, but you have to use the E53 carrier, as it is a different width across the carrier bearings than the E46.

The bearings will be some sort of standard parts, but good luck finding shims to do the setup, or a crush sleeve, as BMW never published service information for the front diffs.

A Quaife for a Z3 4 cylinder supposedly fits the X5 front as well... although you have to take the Quaife apart, flip all the gears and put it back together to make it work correctly turning the "opposite" direction.

Leave a comment:

• King Mufasa
    replied
    M3 maybe.. when looking to buy a strut bar they all show all e30 models except m3/ix. I still cant find one for an IX..

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Originally posted by 6A LDY View Post
    I kind of agree, the strut towers look like they're too far forward for some reason
    The iX strut towers are father forward than the RWD ones, so I don't know what E30 that would be that has strut towers that look further forward than an iX's... :p ;)

It does look like a RWD body, though, as there isn't much space between the battery box and the strut tower.

HOWEVER, AWD or RWD doesn't affect the measurements that Nisse showed.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Yeah I just took a random E30 pic, not mine :)

Leave a comment:

• 6A LDY
    replied
    Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    that doesn't look like an ix to me. did you borrow this pic from somewhere?
    I kind of agree, the strut towers look like they're too far forward for some reason

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    that doesn't look like an ix to me. did you borrow this pic from somewhere?

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Under the hood, the red area needs to be "modified" and from the red arrow its aprox 85cm to the back of the engine. (cylinder head)

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Its 2 1/4"

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    1.5" sounds like the difference between the axle holes of e30 and e34 pans.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    also, the rear driveshaft should have plenty of room for adjustment. shouldn't it?

do you know how far back you moved it? I think it needs at least 2" with the E34 parts.
    I replaced the rear diff u-joint with a CV joint (used on many E34, E32 models etc) so there is enough movement there, no adjustability needed.

I think its around 1.5" further back but im not 100% sure. And i have no engine in my rwd E30 at the moment so i cant measure right now :P

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    also, the rear driveshaft should have plenty of room for adjustment. shouldn't it?

do you know how far back you moved it? I think it needs at least 2" with the E34 parts.

Leave a comment:

• stonea
    replied
    Since the thread was brought back up, does anyone know if you could transplant e46 front diff insides to an e53 x5? I really want to use the e53 x5 oil pan since I'm basically using a M54, but I'm not 100% happy about the 3.64 ratio.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X