Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I looked for my spare engine mount arms, but I can't find them. I had them before I moved, not sure if I lost them or if they're burried under something.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
      Do you know if the X5 flex disc is thicker than the E34 ix?
      don't know - I think the BMW parts catalogs show the thicknesses? I'm assuming you used the E34 ix flex disc?
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        don't know - I think the BMW parts catalogs show the thicknesses? I'm assuming you used the E34 ix flex disc?
        Yes the E34 disc is mounted right now. Do you have a X5 disc you can measure maybe? :-)
        E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
        E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

yeah, I get 26mm with a slightly bent tape measure. the battery in my calipers is dead but that's probably close enough.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yeah, I get 26mm with a slightly bent tape measure. the battery in my calipers is dead but that's probably close enough.
            Ok thanks! E34 ix is 28mm.
            E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

As far as the driveshaft bolts, what if you threaded the holes and put helicoil inserts in? Then have the bolts go through the flex disk first and thread into the driveshaft. No bolt heads or nuts on top. You would just want to locktite the bolts so they don't come loose.
              Last edited by AndrewBird; 11-26-2015, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                As far as the driveshaft bolts, what if you threaded the holes and put helicoil inserts in? They have the bolts go through the flex disk first and thread into the driveshaft. No bolt heads or nuts on top. You would just want to locktite the bolts so they don't come loose.

You don't want to turn the bolt or nut that directly contacts the flex disc, it can cause the metal spacer/sleeve to rotate and unbond from the rubber. This applies to a regular through bolted flex discs as well, always spin the end contacting the drive flange.
                Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

you can't do that anyway, there's no room to push a bolt in through the other side of the flange.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
                    Ok thanks! E34 ix is 28mm.
                    I re-measured with a caliper and they are 28mm. The e30 ix is 19mm.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I re-measured with a caliper and they are 28mm. The e30 ix is 19mm.
                      Thanks! Wonder what the diffrence is between X5 and E34 ix then, since they dont share the same part nr?
                      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

who knows. the rear ix disc is also the same as the X5 front. visually, they are identical.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Different rubber compund or something?

Btw the E34 ix lacks a rear disc, its only got one between the gearbox/TC and front diff. The rear drive shaft/prop shaft also got a centre support and a CV at the rear diff.
                          E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

yeah, maybe different torque ratings? they have a fiber winding inside them, maybe some have bigger/more threads than others.

the E34 ix is a strange beast!
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

you can't do that anyway, there's no room to push a bolt in through the other side of the flange.
                              All you would have to do is bolt the flex disk onto the drive shaft before you put it up inside the car. Washers under the head of the bolts would fix the rubber twisting issue. Doesn't the transmission side mount exactly as I am describing anyway, without nuts?

Comment

the flange of the front diff is threaded actually. I don't remember there being issues with the flex disc sleeves rotating while tightening the bolts down.

now that I think about it you have a good idea. the only thing is you'd usually remove the centering pin to pull the shaft, and you can't do that with the flex disc installed. maybe there's still just enough room to slide the bolts out, or at least far enough away to remove the disk. I'll have to look at that.

if that were the case, you could move the diff back the required 1 1/4" and not have to mess with that one oil pan bolt. or still modify that bolt, but have a little more clearance to work with.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X