Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would look at the spline counts and see if there's a combo of inner/outter shafts that might work. I've been thinking the exact same thing - the E53, E70, etc. diffs have a wide range of ratios, but we don't have halfshafts that work with them.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Getting the spline counts from the actual shafts vice the CV's is a little tougher... those are seldom available on the internet. Diameters are even rarer.

Can you guys who have sample axles do some disassembly?

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
        No clue yet, if I could keep the original 325ix trans and tc that'd be great, but I don't know if I will. Right now I'm just brain storming and trying to get a game plan down.
        Assuming you have a stick... you can't do that. In a RWD car you can rotate the trans, mod the crossmember, twist the shift linkage and go.

In an AWD car, you can't rotate the transfer case.
        You can either rotate the transmission and make an adapter plate that rotates the T-case back down OR have a Euro market g260 from a 24V E34 520i shipped over and swap that case onto your trans.

Also, you need a u-jointed driveshaft to use the E53 front drive assembly with the e30 T-case. I don't think that's hard, just FYI.

Comment

Yeah, i see that as a slight drawback - but if it allows for better ratios, it might be worth it.

My E70 N52 pan comes monday, I've got my fingers crossed that i can do something with it!
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Im looking at using a E90 xi trans and TC, the 6th gear ratio will make the 3.38 final drive OK :)
            Just have to figure out how to control the TC..
            Hopefully the trans isnt too long, since the TC is mounted directly on the trans that helps a lot!
            E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
            E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
            E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

The E90 tc is a bit weak, the gear that controls lockup is a bit soft and likes to strip. :(
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                The E90 tc is a bit weak, the gear that controls lockup is a bit soft and likes to strip. :(
                Yeah ive read that, but other than that it seems very strong! i dont think ive seen any broken at all, even 700hp 335xi:s doesnt brake them.
                Nice with no chain also :)

I wonder if you can do anything about those wormgears tho?
                E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

I think somebody is working on it, but i haven't paid much attention. My wife has an E91 xi though.

You would need to transfer the entire abs/dsc system over, i don't know if anyone can tune it. Possible for sure, I'm going to use the E46 M3 mk60 dsc unit, but its a little less complicated.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah i read something about it like 6 months ago or sometging..

I'm going to try to control it with my Autronic ecu.
                    But I think I should get the current setup running first haha :)

I wonder if you tune the TC to lock up just before its really needed it might be easier on the gears? Less power going thru while it locks up..but I haven't looked much at it.
                    Going to try that on the E34 TC, lock up just when it starts to get into boost and not when it sees wheel slip.
                    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

I know what my new year's resolution is
                      1988 325iX - sold but not forgotten
                      1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

the frankenpan is definitely the simplest way to swap. all you really need is a solution to the booster - either use something remote or do a booster delete kit/modified MC.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Anyone know if it would be possible to push the TC about 4 inches back? Forget about driveshaft, trans, braces. I'm just curious if there's enough room in the trans tunnel to push the transfer case back 2 inches.
                          My Garage
                          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

4 inches? no. maybe an inch or less, but then you're going to have to make a custom mount bracket. the rear driveshaft has enough adjustment that a 1" change will probably still fit without any modification.

why do you want to push it back so far? using a different TC?
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I was researching dropping a 6 Speed into my Z3 and a 6 Speed 325ix had a nice ring to it. I wanted to see if there was even enough room before I tried conquering how I would mount everything.
                              My Garage
                              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

if doing a 6 speed, I'd just use the whole AWD/DSC system from an E90. it would take up less space too since the trans would bolt directly to the t-case like the automatic ix does.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X