Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the CV axles don't really work. also, with the shorter axles the effects of lowering the car on them will be worse, since the angles will be so much steeper. and it's still over 2" too far forward to fit easily.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Oh yeah i missed that, its 1" more forward than the E34? :S
      E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
      E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

BTW, does the E30ix axles line up straight out of the pan to the hub or do they tilt a little forward/rear? If you know what i mean :)
        I just put in M3 offset CAB and is a little worried of the angle...axles is pointing forward :P
        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

they are pretty straight

a few mm forward isn't going to affect anything, just look how steep they are when lowered. I've run M3 offset CABs for over 10 years.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
            Oh yeah i missed that, its 1" more forward than the E34? :S
            yeah. :(
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              the CV axles don't really work. also, with the shorter axles the effects of lowering the car on them will be worse, since the angles will be so much steeper. and it's still over 2" too far forward to fit easily.
              And the E34/E53 pans already require the rack to come forward 1 1/4"... I don't think one position of the rack can accommodate both pans.

Comment

I got this E30 ix pan. ended up paying $34 out of pocket, not too bad. :)

Here's my thought.. Cut off the flange and the front of the pan (warning; MAD paint skillz):

cut out the sump and leave the flange on the N52 pan:

bolt the N52 pan to my transmission with the transfercase attached. I'll need a front diff for lining it up. basically, file and trim until I get the front diff in just the right location to properly line up the front driveshaft. tack it together somehow, then take it somewhere to be fully welded.

I may even be able to live with the 4.10s for a while, saving some cost on newly built diffs. It might even be just fine, with the mods I want to do I think a 7500rpm redline is pretty realistic, that might work OK with the shorter gearing. the M20 just sort of ran out of breath even though I could rev it to ~7200.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

they are pretty straight

a few mm forward isn't going to affect anything, just look how steep they are when lowered. I've run M3 offset CABs for over 10 years.
                  In u will measure more accurate but it's more than a few mm. They already sit at a slight forward angle without the offset bushing :S
                  yeah. :(
                  Not good :P
                  E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

it's a pretty small change really. I think it's about 1 degree of caster, the ix only has 1.5 degrees or so to start with (RWD cars are like 10-13 degrees).
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I got this E30 ix pan. ended up paying $34 out of pocket, not too bad. :)

Here's my thought.. Cut off the flange and the front of the pan (warning; MAD paint skillz):

cut out the sump and leave the flange on the N52 pan:

bolt the N52 pan to my transmission with the transfercase attached. I'll need a front diff for lining it up. basically, file and trim until I get the front diff in just the right location to properly line up the front driveshaft. tack it together somehow, then take it somewhere to be fully welded.

I may even be able to live with the 4.10s for a while, saving some cost on newly built diffs. It might even be just fine, with the mods I want to do I think a 7500rpm redline is pretty realistic, that might work OK with the shorter gearing. the M20 just sort of ran out of breath even though I could rev it to ~7200.
                      Sounds like a good plan! I want to do something similar with the X5 stuff..
                      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

it's a pretty small change really. I think it's about 1 degree of caster, the ix only has 1.5 degrees or so to start with (RWD cars are like 10-13 degrees).
                        I got the camber plates so I'll gain some caster there.
                        I'm just afraid the forward angle will be bad for the axles as the car already is lowered :P
                        But before replacing the new bushings I'll measure the angle of the axles and take it from there.
                        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

like I said, I've run them for 10 years without issue. the CV shafts currently in the car have ~500,000kms on them!
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah but I think mine is probably twice the angle compared to yours :S
                            E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

why do you think that? My housings are like 4" shorter than stock. :p
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

No I meant the forward angle :)
                                E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Working...
                                X