Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They seem to last a long time, mine have 80,000 miles and are just as tight as the new ones i got for mockup.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
      I guess I'll have to get an E53 rack to play with as well.
      I think I'm gonna keep and eye out for one too. Actually at this point I should be looking for a 3.0 e53 parts car
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Why E53 rack?
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          this is assuming I can build the E34 diff with a shorter gear ratio, perhaps 3.73 or 3.91.
          E34IX came with a 3.91, so what is the issue?

Comment

no, it came with 3.38, and only 3.38. :(

on the E46 rack - curiousity finally got to me, so I removed the E46 tie rods and mounted the E30 ix tie rods on the E46 xi rack.

edit: retracted

the grommet that holds the boot on my driver's tie rod had moved, making it look like I had another inch, when in fact I did not.

basically, the E30 ix tie rods are 1" too long. the E46 tie rods are actually the right length, but you'd have to machine the strut housings to fit the larger ball joints, and I don't really know how feasible that is. the ball joints do not unfortunately press out.

the E46 outter tie rods are too short to work with the E30 inners. perhaps there exists an outter tie rod that is 1" shorter than the E30 ix, has similar geometry, and has the right ball joint.

the two options are basically:

1. use E46 xi tie rods as-is. machine the struts to fit larger ball joints. this seems most realistic to me - there appears to be enough material left. about 2mm would have to be taken out. the E30 ball joint is about 13.5-12.2mm taper, the E46 is about 15.5-14.5mm taper. the threads on the E46 are longer but the part that goes through the ball joint is approximately the same length.

2. find some magic outter tie rod that threads onto the E30 ix inner and has the right ball joint. it needs to be about 1" shorter than the E30 tie rod.

I'll have to take it to some machine shops and see what they say. I have an extra set of strut housings I can take with me.
            Last edited by nando; 01-10-2015, 12:08 PM.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
              Do you or anyone else have a chance to measure the distance from the frame rail notch to the axle? (No hurry)
              are you talking vertical distance? I have about 1".
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

no, it came with 3.38, and only 3.38. :(
                You're right. For some reason I thought they came with 3.91's.

Comment

are you talking vertical distance? I have about 1".
                  Yes, thanks! That is when car is in ride hight? In your case pretty low :)
                  E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                  E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                  E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Why E53 rack?
                    IDK, it's just another option to explore. The e46 will probably be the best route, but who knows, maybe the x5 or x3 rack is a direct bolt in swap....
                    My Garage
                    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                      IDK, it's just another option to explore. The e46 will probably be the best route, but who knows, maybe the x5 or x3 rack is a direct bolt in swap....
                      I bet its about the same, only the x5 is larger, so it might be too wide. The E46 tie rods are already the right length (i might trim some threads, but there's lots to work with).

As a side benefit, i can have the ABS sensor holes modified to use my E46 M3 mk3 DSC unit.. :)

Yes, thanks! That is when car is in ride hight? In your case pretty low :)
                      Yeah, at ride height. It doesn't change much at that end thankfully due to the length of the shaft.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

on the E46 rack - curiousity finally got to me, so I removed the E46 tie rods and mounted the E30 ix tie rods on the E46 xi rack.

edit: retracted

the grommet that holds the boot on my driver's tie rod had moved, making it look like I had another inch, when in fact I did not.
                        The length of the rack, from one INNER tie rod pivot to the other inner tie rod pivot is important for getting bump steer right (or at least keeping it the same as BMW did).

That's an important dimension that needs to be addressed.

Also, aren't the iX tie rod ends the weird shape they are for wheel clearance?

Comment

Looks like both X5, E34ix and E46xi rack mounts the same, behind the "subframe" and not on top like the E30ix.
                          E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

E46 tie rods are really close to the same shape as the E30 - they're just a bit shorter. They have the same funky bend.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Looks like both X5, E34ix and E46xi rack mounts the same, behind the "subframe" and not on top like the E30ix.
                              As long as the mount bosses are on the front side of the rack housing, that's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                                As long as the mount bosses are on the front side of the rack housing, that's fine.
                                Yes they are :)
                                E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Working...
                                X