This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sooo pretty..

did some oil pan mock ups. Came to the conclusion I need the bed plate from an N52 to do it correctly - not all of the oil pan bolts match the Getrag 260 pattern, and I'm not sure which ones to use. the block should definitely match up though, plus it can be used as a jig to keep the oil pan flat when welding it back together. I found one relatively cheap so it's on the way..
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The 4 big bolts is enough :)

Looks real nice!
      E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
      E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Yeah, but i need to align the pan correctly so i can splice the E30 pan into the correct location. I think it will be useful as a jig as well.

I think i can use at least two oil pan bolts, they definitely aren't taking any shear given their size so I'm not worried about that.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Looking forward for more build info and pics! :)
          E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
            Yeah but it might be easier to modify than building a new one? Or not, I don't know :) But the control arms attach to the subframe and all so if you get the oil pan sorted you're pretty much done!
            I wonder how much a E34ix subframe cost new..if you still can get one :P That's by far the easiest way!
            The control arms are E34-specific. I don't know if the ball joints for it are shared with the E30 or are available in the US...

Yeah, it's super-easy ;)

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              Yeah, but i need to align the pan correctly so i can splice the E30 pan into the correct location. I think it will be useful as a jig as well.

I think i can use at least two oil pan bolts, they definitely aren't taking any shear given their size so I'm not worried about that.
              No bolts should be taking any shear. The strength of the bolted joint is in the FRICTION between the parts, created by the clamp load/tension on the bolts.

Comment

Uh ok. Not going to argue, but you are wrong.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                    The control arms are E34-specific. I don't know if the ball joints for it are shared with the E30 or are available in the US...

Yeah, it's super-easy ;)
                    Yeah you have to use the right arms for the setup.
                    I mocked up the E34 I'd subframe and it actually isn't that much work. If I only had tried that before all the work I ended up doing it would have saved a lot of time!
                    But at least I got a lighter front end and a slightly better weight distribution he he.
                    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

This ball joint is the same on E34 and E46
                      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                        There's torsion on the bellhousing. The bolts are in shear. I have just a little bit of experience with this sort of thing. :p
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Don't forget about the dowels guys :D
                          E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Yeah, they take some too. But a bolted connection that isn't fully tensioned doesn't hold with friction between the parts, and the bolts on the oil pan are obviously not designed to take load like the four big ones. :)
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

That's right :)
                              E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                                There's torsion on the bellhousing. The bolts are in shear. I have just a little bit of experience with this sort of thing. :p
                                Don't know what you're experience is... but bolted joints depend on friction from clamp load. That's just the way it is.

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
                                Don't forget about the dowels guys :D
                                They only locate the assemblies to minimize eccentricity between the crankshaft and the transmission input shaft.

Comment

Working...
                                X