• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M54 7500RPM with S50B3.2 OIL PUMP M52 damper

Comment

Originally posted by King Mufasa View Post
      key note:
      BMW states the Valvetronic has allowed the engine to reach a top engine speed of 7k rpm it is controlled by a 64bit computer. Although its efficiency is decrease above 6k upgraded springs is recommended $$
      ok. You still can't say what would cause it not to be able to rev higher. springs, sure, but the mechanism itself doesn't move unless you change your pedal position. it's not like the valvetronic mechanism is moving up and down or rotating with RPM. It's basically a fancy throttle system, only it uses the rocker ratio instead of a throttle plate.

Superior bed plate?
      please state where BMW states its superior to its predecessor? if its an assumption from the construction well I respect that. But facts are required. a lot of guys here including myself, "pocket change" is riding on facts.
      We know it's stiffer because it can already rev significantly higher without exploding. that's a fact.

BMW’s project manager for I-6 Andreas Welter stated when asked "if a n52 turbo possible", quote

"In the case of the magnesium-aluminum block, Welter says, “Right now, the crankcase-stress of the turbocharged engine is above the limit of the aluminum/magnesium crankcase.”

meaning N54 turbo is 340+hp stock is already over the limit of a n52. Correct BMW if they are wrong..

Although BMW refers to both engines as "cousins" their is a reason why BMW had 2 different options. N54 is not just a "its just a boosted N52"

800hp N52? I would not advise that, For a naturally aspirated greatness I do highly recommend it YES :) but should watch out for the aluminum head bolts breaking reports, I hope it was just a bad day at the plant ..
      I'm not sure why you are arguing this. Nobody would dispute the N54 makes more sense for boost than an N52. I'm well aware of the differences between the two. I also have zero interest in a turbo motor (if I did, I would have already found an N54 parts car - they are a dime a dozen!).

"If my M20 can tag a 7500rpm redline with used 15 year old S52 rods and a random eta crank, I don't see why a factory built, modern designed engine can't do a little more"

This is an assumption.. but why not? am all for N/A goodness :)
      It's not an assumption. I've already done it. But without some changes to the cams, it won't make the power I want at higher RPM. The stock tune is also designed to kill torque after 7krpm, which I've been working on fixing. I already know what needs to be done, but I'm not going to do it on my DD 330i. :p

"There's also a supercharger but it's quite expensive and has some limitations (no intercooler, not enough fuel, limited boost, etc)."

Limited boost? of coarse and I wonder why? top Power was ~285 for $4k..

Am all for new things but first comes trial and error it return facts
      it's definitely limited due to fuel, not the strength of the engine. Also, that's 285whp, not at the crank. You could guess what it is at the crank but it's at least 300hp. It's not much boost - 6-7psi. I think I can get close to that with changes to the cams and a different intake manifold. There are N/A cars putting out close to 250whp with bolt ons, so I'm not crazy. honest!
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by King Mufasa View Post
        For the M54 you have to use damper from BMW M52, 2,0 2,5 2,8.
        or ATI-damper $

To get to 7500 rpm you use a s50 B3.2 oil pump

or a $250 pump fix
        [IMG][/IMG]
        the video you posted is a full race build.

Sure, you could bolt on a $250 doohickey and turn it to 7500 but it won't make any power if you leave it otherwise stock. the M54 already chokes out well before the stock N52 redline. you could build a race motor out of any engine with a lot of money.. that's not what I'm talking about. :p

curious what it put down. I bet it cost at least $20k to build though.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I found some interesting photos today. I'll probably end up doing the M54 swap, but its still cool that someone has done it before!

Edit: Deleted oil pan pic because I can't read German :/
          Last edited by stonea; 10-19-2015, 10:08 PM.
          My Garage
          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

yeah I think that one was up on E30.de?

There was another M30 swap that looked like they made the oil pan out of JB weld, lol. that one looks halfway decent.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Talk about a franken-pan, though... Do *ANY* of the holes line up? I'd like to see more about fabricating the pan.

Comment

Yes I found these on E30.de. It's really hard to navigate since I don't really speak German. I just looked for keywords like "325ix" "ix" "M30" and "S38. Also sorry about that last pic, the oil pan pic was apparently of a Euro S50 swap. He was writing about a 325ix and a s38 in the beginning of his thread, but then I guess he switched to a S50 and I didn't pay enough attention to the pictures. Anyway here is a thread of a S38 and M30 swap.

S38:

M30:

In the S38 one it looks like he used a "oil pan adapter" to mate the two. I wonder if you could water jet a M30 bolt pattern flange or something and cut the top off of the pan of your choosing and weld the M30 and the AWD pan together. You would need custom Arms and massage the fire wall (not nearly as bad a Nisse had to though).
                Last edited by stonea; 10-19-2015, 10:25 PM.
                My Garage
                Feedback

Comment

Funny thing is all the swaps ive seen there look like disasters - that S38 looks like a nightmare. There's been a few clean swaps, but obviously its difficult to do at all.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Any volunteers to be the first to build an M70B54 frankenmotor powered 350iX?

Comment

why don't you just strap 200lbs of lead to the front bumper. :p
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Lead won't give me MOAR TORK!

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          Funny thing is all the swaps ive seen there look like disasters - that S38 looks like a nightmare. There's been a few clean swaps, but obviously its difficult to do at all.
                          A surprisingly amount of cars on there look kind of sketchy. Thats one thing I love about r3v, I haven't seen many hack jobs on here.

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                          Any volunteers to be the first to build an M70B54 frankenmotor powered 350iX?

I would love a V12, but only if it was in a 6 speed 8 series!!!
                          My Garage
                          Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                            A surprisingly amount of cars on there look kind of sketchy. Thats one thing I love about r3v, I haven't seen many hack jobs on here.

I would love a V12, but only if it was in a 6 speed 8 series!!!
                            I'll have to dig around a bit for the link, but there's one in a Z3 with centrifugal supercharger.

Also, the 12's bolt right into E34's. I know where there's a gutted E32 750I in someone's yard, just begging for me to snatch it up and move everything in the engine compartment over to an E34 M50 525i

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                              Also, the 12's bolt right into E34's.
                              Oh you definitely shouldn't have told me this. I can see a e34 v12 touring in my future.
                              My Garage
                              Feedback

Comment

The E32 and E34 extensively share structural metal. They use identical structures from the firewall forward

Comment

Working...
                                X