Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The RWD E34 ball joint is non-serviceable in the control arm. Basically, the control arm itself is the ball joint housing.

I don't know if BMW reused the E30 AWD outer ball joints in the E34 or reused the E34 AWD outer ball joints in the E46 or both... However, the E34's inners are very different than the E30 inners and look much more like the E46 inners.

Comment

Yes, the E34 and E46 inner ball joint have the same part number, but the outer E46 ball joint is M12, and is the same as E36 and RWD E46.

Does anyone have a E30 control arm laying arund and could take some measurements of the cone? Bottom and top diameter and height. And also diameter of the housing.
      Last edited by Sebbe; 07-20-2016, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sebbe View Post
        Yes, the E34 and E46 inner ball joint have the same part number, but the outer E46 ball joint is M12, and is the same as E36 and RWD E46.

Does anyone have a E30 control arm laying arund and could take some measurements of the cone? Bottom and top diameter and height. And also diameter of the housing.
        Ah, ok.

In that case, I'd peg the likelihood that BMW recycled the E30 AWD outer ball joints into the E34 as reasonably good, but I've never seen confirmation of it.

You have the PN's for the E30 AWD ball joints, right?

Comment

I dont think there is an OEM part nr for the ball joint, ive only found some aftermarket ones on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_08 View Post
            325iX Inner ball joints - Lemfoerder PN L1054301
            325iX Outer ball joints - Lemfoerder PN L1054402
            I thought it was on this forum in more places, but maybe that was the E30Tech forum, which is currently (permanently?) down.

Comment

Ok. Time for me to make my contribution to this thread. I recently broke my 10th front diff and 2 within few days... I thought to myself that this is enough. :D

I made a decision that e30ix stuff has to go and something stronger instead. The first idea was to use e70 x5 front diff, gs7d36sg trans (double clutch) and e70 x5 transfercase. Pretty soon I had to ditch the front diff, because it would heavily interfare with the engine oilpump. I don't want to use external pump since the original is doing it's job very well. So I went for e34 525ix front diff. It fits ok. Just little mods to the oilpump intake pipe and naturally oilpan has to be modified to fit M20 engine (using e34 525ix oilpan).

Then I took a reality check with timetables etc and realized that double clutch box and x5 transfercase will have to wait... It would take too much of my time and the Project would be too long. So I went for the easy way out and ordered a 525ix gearbox, transfercase, driveshaft and halfshafts.

So the drivetrain will be e34 525ix with the original M20 engine.

I started out the Project few days ago with chopping off the front framerails:

I'm going to move them 25mm up and 10mm forward. Up because of better bumpsteer geometry and forward because 525ix oilpan will move the engine 30mm backward. So this may help with the firewall mods. I've been running excentric bushings for years and front wheels ~10mm forwards, so this won't affect the placement of the tires (will not use excentrics anymore). Ps. Notice the slots for front halfshafts. I've had my engine raised 25mm since day one.

Oh yeah.. this is my car:

Currently M20 engine is making aroung 1050hp @ 2.75bar boost. At the moment thinking about the way to go with the new turbo setup (since old one doesn't work with engine tilted 10degrees more to the exhaust side. Will I go with turbo that can deliver ~1200hp (like the current one) or should I go with more driveable ~900-1000hp turbo.. I would love to see ~1200hp at least once in m20 engine :D

Comment

^mother of all turbo ix!

I've been working on the 525ix diff under the m20 for a bit now, have it all mocked up just needs welded. did you weld the pan yourself, if you don't mind my asking what filler rod did you use?
                Last edited by nomansland92; 07-29-2016, 09:31 AM.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
                  ^mother of all turbo ix!

I've been working on the 525ix diff under the m20 for a bit now, have it all mocked up just needs welded. did you weld the pan yourself, if you don't mind my asking what filler rod did you use?
                  No, friend of mine welded it. He used filler rod meant for cast aluminium parts so it's quite soft.

I will try to update this project here as I go along. Next step should be making of engine mounts for new 30 degree tilt angle. Along with that I may have to butcher the firewall to some extent. Hopefully not very much..

Comment

Thats awesome! Cant wait to see how the 525ix drivetrain will hold up with 1000+ hp :D

Comment

Originally posted by mw044 View Post
                      Ok. Time for me to make my contribution to this thread. I recently broke my 10th front diff and 2 within few days... I thought to myself that this is enough. :D

I made a decision that e30ix stuff has to go and something stronger instead.

So I went for e34 525ix front diff. It fits ok. Just little mods to the oilpump intake pipe and naturally oilpan has to be modified to fit M20 engine (using e34 525ix oilpan).

So I went for the easy way out and ordered a 525ix gearbox, transfercase, driveshaft and halfshafts.
                      Have you checked out the E53 X5 front drive assembly (FDA)? It's very close in the overall package dimensions to the E34 525iX FDA, but it has wider, stronger diff (and can accept the Quaife for the 168 rear!) with a wider variety of ratios available (2.93 to 4.10, AFAIK).

This setup pushes the diff to the left, so in order to use with E30 or E34 T-case, you'll need to build a U-jointed driveshaft, but that's not such a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                        Have you checked out the E53 X5 front drive assembly (FDA)? It's very close in the overall package dimensions to the E34 525iX FDA, but it has wider, stronger diff (and can accept the Quaife for the 168 rear!) with a wider variety of ratios available (2.93 to 4.10, AFAIK).

This setup pushes the diff to the left, so in order to use with E30 or E34 T-case, you'll need to build a U-jointed driveshaft, but that's not such a big deal.
                        Yes, I've checked out pretty much all the possibilities. That wouldn't be bad choise, but as it's not bolt-on to anything - it's out of the question at this moment. I've got enough to do with compeletely new turbosetup (manifold, plumbing etc) and completely new intake system (old one sucks). So it's nice to just bolt-on something. :D

When I got the engine and all the accessories built to 30deg tilt angle - after that the updates on the front diff, gearbox etc are a lot easier to do.

About the LSD for the front diff. ZF unit from Opel Omega 2.0L will fit nicely inside 525ix front diff. It has to be machined from basicly every direction, but possible... If I got time left when the car is finished otherwise, I might make that mod too.

Comment

i guess you are sticking with the m20 because its already built? i think a 24v motor would stand up to the abuse better in the long run. also, it fits your oil pan better.
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Great to see som updates! :D Im not sure if i said it to you earlier but it seems like the Opel LSD were standard here as well so i should be able to find one too :)
                            If/when you are machining yours, can you do mine too if i send it to you?
                            E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                            E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                            E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

i guess you are sticking with the m20 because its already built? i think a 24v motor would stand up to the abuse better in the long run. also, it fits your oil pan better.
                              Why would 24v stand up better ? Just asking - the day I swap m20 out is the day I stop fiddling with these. I see this as a learning process and m20 is a nice candidate for it. No idea in changing the engine and starting all over again. Even thought I do realize that there a lot of better/easier engines to get to this point. There is a principle involved in my engine choise. :D

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
                              Great to see som updates! :D Im not sure if i said it to you earlier but it seems like the Opel LSD were standard here as well so i should be able to find one too :)
                              If/when you are machining yours, can you do mine too if i send it to you?
                              Yes, you mentioned. It should be easy to source then. I have no idea at this point who will make the needed machinings as I no longer have access to machine shop. :( I don't know if I mentioned earlier, but the halfshafts have to be custom made for the opel splines.. The shaft that goes through the oilpan may have to be custom made and then welded to inner joint.. the drivers side one can be made from opels part (also welded to inner joint). Lots to do, but doable.

Comment

Ok. Got the front axle assembled back together and installed back. Swapped the steering rack for another used one, but even this seems to have something wrong with it (when turning steering wheel back and forth).. Something to do with the fact that I'm running it without hydraulic assistance..?

Well here's some pics:

Tire placement looks ok. I used the excentric powerflex bushings in the rear, but modified them so that instead of moving the rear of the control arm outwards, they now move it upwards. Control arm angles look ok. Nothing dramatic there so I assume antidive will not be a problem.

And then few mockup pics with the oilpan:

Didn't actually look that bad about the firewall. Might just fit in without doing anything to it. Tomorrow I'll throw in the mockup engine and gearbox.. then it might be whole another story. However - I want it to be serviceable and enough room everywhere so I think I will end up cutting the firewall open.

Comment

Working...
                                X