Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good man! :D Wow the TC is really big! Or wide maybe!
    E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
    E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
      Impressive work man! Clearly nothing will hold you back...

Curious - What differential ratios are available with your set up? Does the front differential use a 168MM ring and pinion?
      I'm not 100% about the ring and pinion as ETK says typ165 if I remember correctly. I'm believe other 168mm ring and pinion could be used with some amount of machining.. I think I'll go with the 3.38:1 which it has stock. Not ideal for my aplication, but I don't want to modify everything at the same time. Hoping to drive next summer. :D

With this gearing I must change to 5th gear right at the end of 1/4mile so that's not good.., but I may end up using the 7 speed DCT gearbox at somepoint and then the gearing is OK again (fast shift times).

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
      Looks good man! :D Wow the TC is really big! Or wide maybe!
      TC is really wide and hangs low, but it is also very short. I have to lenghten the rear driveshaft for ~10-15cm.

Comment

Tranny brace/mount arm

I am also doing a 6 speed conversion mated to M50, where did you source that black tranny/transfer case mounting arm?

Comment

Originally posted by sassen View Post
          I am also doing a 6 speed conversion mated to M50, where did you source that black tranny/transfer case mounting arm?
          It's custom made for this application.

Btw. Sold the gearbox in the pictures and ordered a DCT gearbox from 2010 e93 335i. ;D

Comment

The pics don't work for me.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by mw044 View Post
              It's custom made for this application.

Btw. Sold the gearbox in the pictures and ordered a DCT gearbox from 2010 e93 335i. ;D
              Well then, that's just drooool

Comment

Here is my process... Tying up odds and ends

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Tranny in place, needs custom mount, rear drive shaft shortened, front drive shaft lengthened

Comment

Nice swap, any more info about the trans? Like what you did to it or how its mounted to the TC

BTW, nice shoe!
                      My Garage
                      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

haha thanks the shoe fits very well, the trans is from 540i, mated with custom bell housing/spliced, actually welded on, clutch from e46 M3. The rear of tranny has adapter machined to fit and also welded on and thus TC bolted onto it. I will provide specific pics of this, but boy I gotta figure out how to reduce size of the pics lol

Comment

She fired up!! So a few things specific to AWD 24V swap.

1. Frankestein pan, is the easiest way if you ask me as many shops weld aluminium these days, your angle thus will not allow a brake booster smaller than Porsche fit there, the steering wheel assy is too high. And you use your current motor mounts.
                          2. Any driveshaft/line shot will shorten and lengthen your shafts as you wish, I was charged $79.
                          3. Please, ANYONE has to use a new CPS otherwise they should be banned before posting and asking about no start issues. Honestly I went through tons of search post, I went back and changed the CPS to a just a used one and it fired right up, I mean first kick. So that measuring of resistance on the CPS is just not reliable and emperic. I can imagine how much sorrow and money has been dumped on this issue.
                          4. Good luck all.

Comment

so you are using a getrag 420? you gotta post pics of all this!

get a membership to imageshack. download your pics on there. it will reduce them to what ever size you want. select "post in forum". copy the link and paste on this thread.

send me a pm if you need more help.
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Hi dudes I read the entire thread, really amazing work done so far :up:

I'm thinking about an ix build but have questions.
                              Will this constellation work?

M50 engine (of course)
                              E34 transmission (cause of the gearing)
                              E34 trans case (to control it manual like nisse)
                              E34 front diff (cause stronger and taller/longer ratio)
                              Wich Shatfts??? E34 I guess
                              Frankenpan (to let the engine in stock position.

from what I see the m50 pan has the pickup/mounting for the front diff more foreward than the m20 pan wich causes interference with steeringrack and crossmember. Will it work to cut off the hole diff pickup and weld it more backwords to m20 spec, to have more space to let the engine in stock position rather than cutting and smashing the firewall?

Another question is: Will the e34 transfercase bolt on the e30 transmission?

I think the easiest way to swap is all e30 parts except frankenpan. Then we have to live with m20 spec tilted engine wich causes interference with brakebooster and theres downside like weak front diff. Now days the diffs getting rare.

I hope to get answers here.

Cheers Kurt66
                              Last edited by Kurt66; 11-09-2016, 07:18 PM.

Comment

if you're using the E34 trans, transfercase, and diff, just use the E34 oil pan too. It all fits together.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X