Z3M radiator in an E30 with M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z3M radiator in an E30 with M20

So I found that my car was loosing coolant and it was from a hairline crack in my radiator. Its a vary slow leak. So i need to buy a new radiator. I am wanting to get the Z3M radiator because of something I am doing in the future with the car. Don't ask what I'm not saying till i have the big item.

So my question is this. Will it fit with the M20 and the mechanical fan or do i need to remove the mechanical fan for a electronic fan?

Thank you in advance.

.......the repair work never ends on this damn car haha.
    Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

it will work with no modification. if i were you, i would spend a little more money and get the mishimoto all aluminum.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

thats what my thinking was cause i know all of BMWs newer radiators are plastic sided. thats great to hear.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
        it will work with no modification. if i were you, i would spend a little more money and get the mishimoto all aluminum.
        are those really worth it? half of them seem to leak every 6 months. others don't fit correctly out of the box. I've never been impressed with Mishimoto. What good does a lifetime warranty do you when you have to swap radiators all the time due to leaks?
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Ive her a lot of good from Mishimoto, But ive also herd about the leaks. I may look into fluidyne as well.

Holy crap fuidyne is over twice the price.
          Last edited by Bimmer_man; 12-03-2015, 11:04 AM.

sigpic

Comment

I bought an eBay aluminum radiator. 4 years now. No problems. $120.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

That's pretty cheap they are allore than likely made in China anyways

sigpic

Comment

Zionsville> Z3M > Mishimoto

E36 M3 guys have nothing good to say about the Mishimoto quality, I have a z3m in mine and it is great. If you want to spend the money go with Zionsville they are works of art.

Comment

So weird. I have had zero issues with Mishimoto's including the one installed in my personal car. Have had it for at least 4 years now. Not a single leak.
                  IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Z3M radiators are cheap and durable. do you really care about repalcing a radiator every 100k or so?

Mishimoto reliability is crap, and they aren't particularly good or cheap.

Zionsville et. al. are 3-5X the cost, and it's not actually clear that you get more real durability from them. At some point, you still have to replace a radiator due to damage, mineral buildup, etc., no matter how nice it is.
                    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Just get the Z3M, cheap and effective with no fit-up issues and they will rarely leak. Especially on the M20, they don't run hot enough that the plastic tanks will have problems.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I do like the stock(ish) look of oem. A radiator every 3 decades is pretty good. I'll buy oem.

Thank you all for the help and opinions.

sigpic

Comment

from the dead..........Any good new options for the radiator? I'm thinking the Zionsville or the Z3M unit.

Anyone got first hand experience with Zionsville as i'd like to get something non plastic if the fitment, quality and performance is at least as good OE? i dont need a huge improvement in cooling as only NA and no track days but like most street cars the hardest aspect is getting airflow and hence cooling when stationary/slow moving traffic on a 45C+ day with aircon. Intending to retain the clutch fan and stock Aux fan.
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

C&R - https://www.bimmerworld.com/Cooling/...-Radiator.html

Many E36 S54 320-350 WHP track cars have used this unit with no problem.

Not a fan of the zionsville unit due to last 2 had fitment issues.

I have a like new Z3M Mishimoto I'd let go, maybe.

I think for what where doing even the E36 radiator is plenty and just replace the OEM unit as needed, They fit every time unless damaged in shipping.. and make sure the front end is duct'd into the radiator.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                              C&R - https://www.bimmerworld.com/Cooling/...-Radiator.html

Many E36 S54 320-350 WHP track cars have used this unit with no problem.

Not a fan of the zionsville unit due to last 2 had fitment issues.

I have a like new Z3M Mishimoto I'd let go, maybe.

I think for what where doing even the E36 radiator is plenty and just replace the OEM unit as needed, They fit every time unless damaged in shipping.. and make sure the front end is duct'd into the radiator.
                              What fitment issues did you have?
                              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                              X