Scrap it or fix it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrap it or fix it?

So long story short, this past New Years my IX was "totaled" by a UPS truck while on the way to see a comedy show in LA with my girlfriend. Thankfully no one was hurt, but after fighting with insurance for a few months now I have come to terms with the fact that I will not be getting anything from them. The scrapyard offered me $100 for the car, and I said fuck you and had my car towed 250 miles to my home in San Luis Obispo.

I am now debating whether I should try and get the frame straightened out and get a new rear quarter panel, and have it patched it up. Or just sell the whole car to someone who will part it out.

Both left half shafts are bent, the crossbar that goes between both doors is slightly kinked, and the bar on the left side of the windshield is pushed up into the dash. Everything else on the car is perfect. I can actually still drive it but the wheels rub on the wells so..better not to

I bought this car in Canada and drove it back to California, I have a lot of memories in this car and really would hate to have it get ripped apart. But before I spend all my time and money on it I thought i'd ask the community for some advice.

So what do you think?

She's had it mate! once you start bending A pillars and B pillars its time to go give up.

Shame, looked like a nice car.

New shell time or part out.

Comment

I think you should take all the salvageable parts and throw them in a clean shell, I understand the sentimental value but saving the major parts should help with that.

Comment

It's done. Part it out and scrap the shell. A pillar and rocker says it all.

Comment

That car is 100%, fucked.
          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Well my next question....anyone have an IX shell???

Comment

Scrap it or fix it?

You can make good money parting out the car.

If you want something totally different and want a fast car PM me
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I dont have a lot of space to part this guy out, If i sold it to someone who parts out e30s what do you think I could get for it? (still runs and all)

Comment

Someone might pay reasonable money for it to put into their spare shell.

Comment

I'd say you could sell it for $1K if you're lucky, maybe a bit more.

Comment

$800-1000.

Why aren't you going after UPS for the money?
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

Damn, that looked like it used to be such a clean car. I had the same thoughts with my first Z3. I wanted to fix it, but I easily would have spent $20k just to get the thing right, and then who knows what else would come up down the line. All you can hope for is the car will live on in other cars.
                        My Garage
                        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Sympathy man, what a bummer. I can sell you a shell with axles but if you have to pay someone to to swap it out will be prohibitively expensive. Its just a damn shame is all.

Comment

I could use the interior from that car!
                            The difference between porcupines and BMWs is that porcupines have the pricks on the outside!

Comment

Insurance wouldn't give you money?

Time for new insurance.

Comment

Working...
                              X