Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bilstein HD for the iX backordered. Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bilstein HD for the iX backordered. Ideas?

I plan on being the underdog in SCCA rallycross this summer with my iX. When I bought it back in 2008 it came with Koni yellows and stock springs. The rear shocks are so rusted that I expect them to blow at any time. I pulled them off the car and they have no gas charge left. I haven't pulled the fronts yet so I'm not sure as to their status. The car seems to handle fine in both normal driving and the ice race I did about a month back. Just the same, it seemed like a good time for a suspension rebuild before I hit the dirt.

Everyone seems to agree the Konis are no good off road and they aren't stock class legal because they're adjustable. I ordered Bilstein HDs on the theory they'd hold up and the hope that they'd have reasonably soft compression valving. They worked for Caswell in Mexico so that's good enough for me.

Then the inevitable wrench in the works. I got an email back stating that the HD strut inserts for the iX are backordered and Bilstein won't be shipping any until the end of summer. One supplier has the rears in stock at a higher price but no one has the fronts. By no one I mean BavAuto, Pelican, and BimmerWorld. Not sure who else to check. Who has a real warehouse instead of being just another drop shipper?

Advice? Run on the worn out shocks and see what happens? Run mismatched Koni front/Bilstein rear? I didn't want to run the lower spec Bilsteins or the Sachs but I don't have any real data that says I shouldn't.

Stock All has some really talented drivers, you're going to face some stiff competition.

In stock and on sale. $150/each front and $90/each rear.

Make sure you cut the front bump stop in half when you install them. You need to take the shock apart from the bottom to do this.

I'll see you at Summit.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

I have a set with 10,000 or so miles, I can sell them for 100 plus shipping if you like. Send me a pm if your interested.

Comment

Sent you a PM, I have a fresh set.
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I would recommend ordering from FCP for rallycross stuff. If you break it you can return it for free. I've replaced my shocks once already when I had a strut break and that destroyed the shock. $10 shipping later and I have a brand new set.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

All Bilsetin b8 (sport series) and a bunch of b6 (HD) are on back order, and they have not released a date yet AFAIK. Usually my suppliers will have an expected date, not this time. My local warehouse has 100 sets on order and has been on order for about 2 months.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

why not go Koni?
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Buy a used set and rebuild them. Bilstein will even do it for you.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                  why not go Koni?
                  Originally posted by erwendell View Post
                  Everyone seems to agree the Konis are no good off road and they aren't stock class legal because they're adjustable.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone. I've got a couple offers on good used struts and I'm working that angle.

I'm thinking that the relative rarity of the iX in the US strikes again. Either that or Bilstein is in the middle of some production snafu. The fact that I can buy reasonably priced well made parts for a 29 year old car at all is kind of amazing. I have a similar vintage Austin Mini and increasingly my choices are worn out used parts or crappy Chinese reproduction parts. Stuff where they obviously took an original part, pulled a mold off it, and cast new ones. All the dimensions are just that little bit bigger and less accurate. Don't get me started about how I can't get good quality parts period for my domestic daily driver.

As for why Bilstein vs Koni, rules aside, there's no comparison. The Bilstein HDs are true inverted struts. If that doesn't mean anything to you, picture a rod inside a much larger tube vs a tube within a tight fitting tube (insert joke here). Extend said coaxial assembly to full length (minimum overlap between top and bottom tube), apply a side load at the center, and look at the relative surface area that will bear said load. And yes, there is a side load even when not driving sideways in the dirt. The hub is free to pivot at the ball joint and given that the strut is not directly over top of the tire, some component of the vertical load acts though a lever to put a side load on the strut. That's why the springs on MacPherson strut cars are often not concentric with and parallel to the centerline of the strut. They cant the spring to counteract the side load and extend the life of the strut rod and bushings.

I hope not to be putting big enough side loads on the front wheels to collapse a lesser strut because that would mean I'll fail some some possibly less replaceable component but the cost is comparable so why not use the better part?
                    Last edited by erwendell; 03-26-2018, 02:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I don't see you in the current registration and it's close to capped. If you plan on attending event #1 you should register tonight.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

I wasn't planning on making the first race. Due to my work schedule I'll be out of the country for the last couple races of the season which means I'm automatically out of contention for any kind of season points bragging rights. As a result I don't have the pressure of having to make every event. That and the car is still in a considerable number of pieces while I replace the rusted out brake lines in the rear and rebuild the suspension. I'm definitely not competing until I've fabricated a substantial front skid plate and that's still a ways down the list. I'm currently working to a schedule to be ready for the second Summit meet in May.

Comment

It's not just the ix inserts that are on back order. Their entire line of e30 b6 (HD) and b8 (Sport) are on back order for some reason.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

go with koni sports. I got a complete ix setup front and rear, for $488 shipped
                            '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                            '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by erwendell View Post
                              I'm definitely not competing until I've fabricated a substantial front skid plate and that's still a ways down the list. I'm currently working to a schedule to be ready for the second Summit meet in May.
                              Skid plate on an ix is not that hard due to the subframe.

https://imgur.com/FHmFtGs (box the inside sides in though)
                              Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like kershaw.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like kershaw.

Sleeve 2 hockey pucks with a steel insert and run 2 headbolts through the plate and subframe.
                              AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                              X