Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear diff bushing

Hey Guys!

Getting my parts list together for my 88 ix subframe bushing R&R......just priced the ix rear diff bushing and am wondering if there are any alternatives? The price is over $300! I know about the poly bushing that is much cheaper but would like to go with a rubber bushing if possible. Anyone try a non ix bushing? Maybe the RWD e30 bushing would work? Looks like its a different part # on RealOEM however....

Thanks!!
    89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
    1994 Mazda Miata

I believe the bushing is different because the distance in the bushing is different as the iX sits higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
      I believe the bushing is different because the distance in the bushing is different as the iX sits higher.
      Thats kinda what I thought as well.
      1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Correct

Comment

I don't think so. The bushing is centered - the bracket on the car itself is different to account for the location. But the ix bushing was solid, not webbed like the RWD cars.

I have an M-Coupe diff cover/bushing on mine, so I can't be helpful otherwise, but I wouldn't recommend an aftermarket diff bushing unless it's purely a race car. I'd go with stock.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The iX and RWD cars definitely have their center mount holes in different locations. I can provide pics if there is any doubt.

Comment

yeah, post it! it's been years since I've had a stock one in front of me.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

iX on left and RWD on right. Notice straight edge aligned with bolt hole.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
                  iX on left and RWD on right. Notice straight edge aligned with bolt hole.
                  Very helpful thanks for posting! So looks like the best option (to save money on the bushing anyway) would be to use the RWD bushing and shim the diff as mentioned by Nando in the other thread.
                  1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

thanks for posting the difference!

no, one or the other. if you're not using the ix bushing, you don't really need shims (although it will slightly change your pinion angle). If you're using the ix bushing, then you need to shim it for sure.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      thanks for posting the difference!

no, one or the other. if you're not using the ix bushing, you don't really need shims (although it will slightly change your pinion angle). If you're using the ix bushing, then you need to shim it for sure.
                      Ok so now I am confused nando....
                      Are you saying I can use the RWD diff bushing on a STANDARD RIDE HEIGHT ix with no shims or other modifications?
                      I'm wondering if the 2 current threads about similar issues are confusing the issues?
                      1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

You either use RWD subframe bushings and RWD diff bushing

OR

RWD subframe bushings and space the diff down with washers and use a AWD diff bushing

OR

If your ix is stock height, maybe just spend the $300 to keep everything original.
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                          You either use RWD subframe bushings and RWD diff bushing

OR

RWD subframe bushings and space the diff down with washers and use a AWD diff bushing

OR

If your ix is stock height, maybe just spend the $300 to keep everything original.
                          Thanks for clarifying Kershaw! Those $300 pieces of rubber just rub me the wrong way!
                          1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Working...
                          X