Recovering seats - leather or houndstooth e30 m3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recovering seats - leather or houndstooth e30 m3

I have a s54 zinno m3 that I’m recovering the seats. Should I go factory leather or houndstooth? The latter is about 1k more expensive but I think it’s more sought after. Thoughts?

If you're going to drive the car a lot, houndstooth all day. I much prefer the houndstooth centers, and half cloth bolsters of a factory houndstooth seat on a car I'm driving a lot.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

More for looks and resale. I like cloth too but I’m not owning this thing forever. My goal is eventually a gt3. For resale which is better?

Comment

Originally posted by hooptie157 View Post
        More for looks and resale. I like cloth too but I’m not owning this thing forever. My goal is eventually a gt3. For resale which is better?
        The only way to know that would be to have the buyer picked out beforehand to know their preference. Otherwise it's just a guess

Safe bet, go stock, esp since it’s $1k less. If doing seats in houndstooth, it merits doing the door cards in houndstooth as well.
        Last edited by AWDBOB; 11-01-2023, 05:35 PM.
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I vote for houndstooth.
          Think the first owner had seats and door cards swapped as a dealer option on my car. My VIN lists black leather as original to the car.

On a broader scale, I'll take a patterned cloth seat 100% of the time over leather. But that is personal preference.

Comment

why houndstooth vs the optional tan or grey plaid? I love the plaid pattern and it breaths very well compared to leather.
            sigpic
            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Houndstooth is a much more breathable fabric when its hot. Also leather needs lots of pampering if you want it to stay looking mint. Pretty much every used BMW I’ve seen with leather, E30 or otherwise, the leather looks like shit (it’s always dry, faded, cracked to some degree) even if the car looks well cared for. Vinyl and houndstooth interiors on the other hand can still look mint (or really close) even after 100s of thousands of miles without much care
              Last edited by ZeKahr; 11-02-2023, 01:59 PM.
              1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
              1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                why houndstooth vs the optional tan or grey plaid? I love the plaid pattern and it breaths very well compared to leather.
                DSC04512 resized by cory58f5, on Flickr

1992 325i Cabrio
                1988 320i Touring
                2000 M5
                1977 530i
                2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                BMWCCA
                E30CCA

Comment

Damn that plaid is nice! I went with hounds tooth.

Comment

Alternately, I think the grey would look better with a red car (assuming black carpet and door cards):

sigpic
                    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

fabric centres, leather edges FTW. so comfortable
                      88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	9DAF3AE3-A51A-45BC-B80E-6DA3677B9ADA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	202.1 KB ID:	10108015

German plaid cloth and Brazilian leather….
                        Last edited by LindrelT; 11-08-2023, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post

DSC04512 resized by cory58f5, on Flickr

Are these seats recovered? My Natur leatherette is starting to wear thin and I’m looking for options beside la a full custom interior.

Comment

Personally, I have recovered a bunch of seats in leather and fabric. My favorites always seem to be the fabric. But then again, that's just personal preference.

I just finished making this set of anthracite Uberkaro.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4426.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	10108722

Comment

Working...
                            X