High Performance rear lights - Early E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear lighting performance upgrade

Bump for a good safety upgrade. I know, I know - a turbo is far more thrilling... maybe even sexy... compared to NOT getting rear ended, but this upgrade is less expensive by far, and may prevent a trip to the body shop for both you and the car!

If everyone paid full attention to their driving 100% of the time, this would be less necessary... but they don't, so it is.

I have several sets of rear light bulb carriers, so if the car is your daily driver I can build you a set to swap in, then refund the core charge when you send yours back. Or, if it's garaged, I can do your lights without the core charge. Up to you.

"Keep your eyes on the opposition"

Andy
    Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
    Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
    Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
    Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

What are your latest prices: I have a 1989 cabriolet - 3rd brake light delete so I want the remaining to be seen. Add bulbs to fog light holes? Better bulbs, anything else?

Comment

Great Product Bump Installed the modified filament bulbs across the back and upgraded to fresh tail lenses at the same time. Couldn’t be happier with the result. My rear end can easily be seen from a block away (that’s what she said). Visibility cuts through precipitation. Adds a huge amount of security at stop lights and anywhere in traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
          What are your latest prices: I have a 1989 cabriolet - 3rd brake light delete so I want the remaining to be seen. Add bulbs to fog light holes? Better bulbs, anything else?
          Actually, prices are pretty reasonable. Starts around $100 for a cab. - includes two more high output brakes, two more tails per side.

The center brake on the trunk lid is pretty weak, increased visibility with more light from the other lights is mandatory and a good idea.

Yes, I use the fog lights - with a twist. Adding a terminal (and some 'other tweaks') to make the socket suitable for a two filament bulb, and I do suggest brighter bulbs everywhere.
          Result - it adds a tail next to the stock tail, doubling the size of them, plus a second brake light that double the size of them!
          Advantages - a second lamp on each side vastly increases reliability of both tail and brake light functions. With the right high output bulbs, it about doubles or triples luminous output.

The brake/turn/reverse lamps are 45cp, 33% brighter than 32cp stock, draw +5W over stock. The tails are 10cp, 67% brighter than 6 cp stock, and draw the same watts!

Simple to install - after snapping out a plastic piece with pliers, you just plug and play, same as stock lights. All wiring and other changes are internal to the back side (bulb carrier). I even have new twist lock knobs if yours are broken or missing.

I serial number the modified lights to track / warrantee them by VIN and by owner, and guarantee them to perform. Previous post was unsolicited, and should give you and idea what 'A Real Person' thinks. Other comments are similar, so I must be doing something right.

My premise is this: you cannot drive the car/truck behind you, but you CAN help them SEE (hopefully they are looking) AND UNDERSTAND your actions, and avoid ruining your backside! Bigger and brighter lights make the car look bigger and closer, both will hopefully prevent tail-gating and trigger earlier braking on their part.

Did I mention - I LOVE the E30 cabriolet, and will be glad to help anyone who owns one by providing this upgrade!

Andy
          Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.

Comment

Hi Andy, does buyer provide the lights? Someone just hit me the other day - I have an early cabrio!

Comment

Hey eddie916,
              I can do this either way - I have a limited number of lenses, but plenty of bulb carriers. Usually when you're hit, the lens suffers, but the internals are OK.
              Let me know what's broken, I will try to find you the right one. Also, what quality do you need - good, very good, perfect?
              Andy

Comment

Hey Andy,
                I think this could be a real improvement in the land of snow and ice. I would need 2 sets of bulb carriers only for my '89 & '90 ix's...Would you ship to Canada?
                Glad you're still doing these!!
                Burke

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                  Hey Andy,
                  I think this could be a real improvement in the land of snow and ice. I would need 2 sets of bulb carriers only for my '89 & '90 ix's...Would you ship to Canada?
                  Glad you're still doing these!!
                  Burke
                  Yes, I can and will ship to Canada. Customs, higher shipping cost, and long waits are the hazards, but you know that.
                  I assume both are the newer (post-facelift) style lights with the horizontal reverse light?

Email or pm me and we can discuss the details. I will dig through my stash and get a couple of pairs ready.

Andy

Comment

It has been a good ten years since I started this post! I'm gratified by all the good feedback I get; thank you all.

I recently sold a setup with the dual brakes, dual tails upgrade and learned something - from the customer. I am glad when someone makes a good suggestion, and this one was backed up by BMW! Let me explain...

Initially, the installation resulted in the car losing brake lights. It was the 7.5 Amp fuse - blown. The guy looked into the manual and saw a line with the following statements:
                    Fuse # 6 / 7.5A / Brake lights (15A if additional brake lights are fitted) ... Thankfully, this addressed the issue of power to feed the additional brake, tail, whatever extra lights.

With E23, E24, E28 and other cars, the power antenna connector provides easy access to power from a separate circuit, which I use with a relay to feed the extra bulbs.. E30 power antenna connectors are quite different... not at all easy to tap power from them. I DO NOT use the clam-shell (guillotine) wire taps that come with every power accessory on the market, because they harm the wire insulation AND conductors. This is BAD.

These upgrades perform very well, if you must know, and "in this time of pandemic" I am happy to build you a set, and keep your tail out of trouble.

Disclaimers: Price subject to change without notice. Your mileage may vary. Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds using lots of soap.

Hey - who's going to Drive 4 Corners this year?
                    Last edited by Mo Brighta; 07-02-2020, 06:14 AM. Reason: typos corrected

Comment

Andy -
                      I'm in Golden and would like a set for my 91 iX. I'll PM you for options. Thanks

Comment

UPDATE - A new design has been adopted for the "Plus 4" upgrade, it makes the modifications more benign - less additional stress on the hardware. This has been incorporated into a pair of late (facelift) plastic lights, and to the early style metal lights. 'Plastic' and 'Metal' refers to the bulb socket, most of the rear light is some type of plastic. The new design developed from a brainstorm (it only hurt a little) after finishing a pair of 2002 round lights. ((Respect your elders applies here, once again!))

I believe the new design to be more robust, more durable, and less subject to 'operator error' - and makes installing replacement dual filament bulbs easier (when necessary).
                        I have carried the principles back to the E9 coupe lights as well, they formerly required separate left- and right-handed bulbs in the 'brake' light sockets. Simpler and More Reliable are the objectives, in addition to Bigger and Brighter.

"Be the first one on your block" to order a pair of these, you never know how or when it will help you avoid disaster.
                        Last edited by Mo Brighta; 03-21-2021, 12:08 PM.

Comment

pictures?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                            pictures?
                            Yes, there are pictures on the very first post (page 1, at the top) in this thread.

Let me know if you cannot view them, and send me an email or private message, I will email the pictures directly to you.

Thanks for your interest!

Comment

Sent you an email regarding a set of tail lights.

http://www.arghon.com/

Comment

Are these still available for an early model?
                                sigpic
                                1988 E30 M3
                                Diamantschwarz/Black

Comment

Working...
                                X